1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Glass cutting board! WHY??!!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Mmm390, Sep 10, 2019.

1. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    I wouldn't even use a plastic board. The grooves made by blades are deep and bacteria grow inside them and very hard to clean.
    Cutting on glass is just ignorance. Yet I see a lot of people on here cutting their steak dinner on a glass plate and a pocket knife.

Bamboo or wood, end grains are not hard to clean, dont be lazy and get a proper cutting board.
    Stop buying cheap plastic boards, almost no chef recommends a plastic board.

2. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    I thought I remember seeing somewhere that the silica content in bamboo is much higher than other types of wood and also bad on edges.

Rhinoknives1 and gotgoat like this.
  3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Well I know some types of pastry or other food items are best rolled out and cut (think cookie cutters) on a COLD surface. So the "board" is made of marble etc., and refrigerated before making the food items.

While using a sharp knife you mean . . . I won't go there . . . I think you said it all.

4. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Hahahahahahaha :thumbsup: :p

5. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Think I will buy another wood cutting board if I see one that grabs me and has tight grains. Been a while since I used wood. I mostly use the one plastic cutting board I have as a serving platter for sandwiches (for me) after I make one. I don't cut sandwiches in half or whatever.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  6. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    I never understood this either. My grandmother had what looked like a large glass or ceramic cutting board but it usually just got used as a trivet for the crock pot. I suppose it would be okay for certain types of cutting or cleaning tasks that didn't involve orthogonal contact with a blade edge.

I cringe a little when steak knives grind into a plate. Of course, most of the steak and table knives I've ever used at anybody's house or at restaurants haven't been what I'd call "sharp". They are typically serrated and act as little food saws.

7. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    On "Bernard Levine's Knife-Related Links" page. You will find this link. Wood versus Plastic Cutting Boards. "One is kind dangerous, potentially deadly". You may be surprised at the results.

O.B.

22-rimfire likes this.
  8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Interesting read. I thank you for adding the link. I recommend everyone read it.

My take is this. I think glass cutting boards are easier to clean and likely pretty sanitary. They however damage the cutting edges of knives. It would appear based on the article that wood boards are more sanitary than plastic boards. The differences appears to be the ability of bacteria to be captured inside the cracks (from knife cuts) on plastic boards versus facilitating more surface area for drying on wood ones.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. Mmm390

Mmm390 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 26, 2019
    The part that I don't understand is that I would assume that older generations grew up around knives and carried pocket knives on a daily baises and would at least know something about proper knife care.

My parents use knives to prep every meal. They enjoy using fresh produce from their gardens and buy meat in bulk and freeze it.
    Every meal for them envolves a good amount of prep work.
    You would think that over the decades, knife care and maintence would become an important issue.

I mentioned the glass cutting board to them and they basically looked at me like I was crazy or didn't know what I was talking about.
    I guess trying to educate older generations doesn't always go over well lol

10. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    thanks for posting that link! It’s 100% correct. The Plastics assoc, has filled the interwebs
    With BS about Plastic being cleaner & safer and the have more than enough $$$$$$$ to get “scientists” to get them the results of whatever they want! They bought of the Legislators of Cally to pass a law that all restaurants etc have to use plastic boards. Hmmmm? Also besides being hard on your edges, all those grooves in the plastic mean you are eating the plastic, Bamboo Is a grass. To make it into a board , it’s filled with plastic & chemicals and the Slica/sand that has been mentioned. We have been using woods for cutting boards for the past few thousand years because they have proven to be the cleanest & most forgiving on the edges. Not tile, not what some mega company has told us is best cause they sell it... You wash your wooden boards with soap and water and if your really paranoid, leave your wood boards out in the sun for a few hours .. my grandma would do that after cutting up chicken. I asked her why? She said it’s probably not needed, it’s just to make sure. UV light kills some 99.?? Of bacteria .. She went to Collage, which was rare for for her Gen..
    Your parents are very intelligent and you should listen to them about many things in life, including that only a person that was insane would think glass cutting boards are a good idea!

11. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    That may be true, I dont know to be honest.

I have a bamboo and wood, and use them both greatly and have not noticed quicker wear on the bamboo.

I have several stones in the kitchen anyways.

trevitrace likes this.
  12. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Oh, I'm well aware you know your way around a stone. :D

13. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    You only have to look at the surface of a well used plastic cutting board to know that using it is a bad idea
    Looking into those deep grooves you can nearly see the bacteria looking back at you