Going to Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by bucksway, Jun 4, 2020.

1. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I'm going! After a 6 year absence I will be going to the Blade Show to display my 112's.. I last went in 2014 and had a great time but when I was getting my collection ready for 2015 I discovered well over a dozen of my best and most valuable 112's were missing and was so bummed about it I basically quit active collecting. It was only after I seen the copper BCCI 112 I started looking at Ebay and came back to the forum here. I have a lot of work to do getting ready for the show, gathering all my 112's and deciding what to display, getting them cleaned up and my display cases ready.. So I wanted to ask who else plans to go and if you are going to display any of your collection?

2. sassafrassdogs

sassafrassdogs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    I would love to go but it's too far away....

3. bucksway

Jan 7, 2007
    With the delay because of Covid-19 there's rooms available right at the Venue..at a halfway reasonable cost. I haven't been since the Club sets up outside the main floor but by all accounts it's a great location. I'm looking forward to the big BCCI meeting on Saturday as it is the only time we all can get together. I hope Joe is able to come! He has always brought some fantastic goodies lol!

4. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Did you ever come to a conclusion about what happened to those 112's?

5. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I hope you gents that go, have a great time and please post us some pictures of the event. DM

6. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    not going. summertime is my busy season. have a good trip and fun, Sir. show us your pics and new additions to your collection, whenever ya get back.

7. KarlG

KarlG Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Agree with JB’s sentiments. Enjoy and stay safe.

bucksway and jbmonkey like this.
  8. bucksway

Jan 7, 2007
    DeSotoSky not one word or whiff on them. I have kept a eye on Ebay and back in 2015 and 2016 checked Craigslist..One was a partial chip flint blade with serrations, nickel silver frame, Buffalo horn handles with a blade etch that said 'Last Custom shop 112' with a date. That was from the brief order widow around 2010(??) . That one was nice! Another was a supposed factory double blade, cli and drop point. Some Damascus and stag. One had to be a employees Custom 112 with super sized really black Ebony thicker than some stag I've seen. Never seen another like it. Over the last few years I have built my collection back up a little especially 1 of 1 Customs.
    One thing I learned was not to show off or even talk about them except with real close friends and family...and NOT any of my granddaughter's boyfriends..

gedlicks and Old Hunter like this.
  9. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    If someone's health isn't 100% these days a trip to Atlanta might be risky. 50k cases to date and rising. Hard to avoid a bunch of mouth breathing knife collector's. Wear your PPE or
    5760.jpg

Be careful whoever can make it. I'm planning on Blade show west in Portland. Hopefully Buck will be there but don't think they will make it.

BuckShack and gedlicks like this.
  10. bucksway

Jan 7, 2007
    Yes I will wearing a mask,not shaking hands, extra zinc and C and every thing else to minimize exposure to the virus. Basically it might be the last time I can physically go and handle it easily. So I don't want to miss out..plus I get to take my Bucks out to play! I'm staying at the Venue so I won't have to worry about parking and having to walk a long way. If anyone here has not gone yet put it on your bucket list as it's the biggest and best get together in the world of knives..

11. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    I'd be more worried about theft and looting my collection than I would be about Coronavirus.

KELAMA, Lesknife and STEELHEADBULLY like this.
  12. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I was all set to go to the original date. I had reservations, I was approved for time off work. It would have been my first Blade show. I am unable to take time off of work at the new date, so I will have to wait until next year.

13. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    A guy would hate to end up on a ventilator in a high risk group. Just be smart.

ATLANTA, Ga. (WTGS) — As of Saturday afternoon, the number of coronavirus cases has risen to 32,568 with the number of coronavirus-related deaths now at 1,401.

05/27/2020 Dear Membership,

For the Blade Show in Atlanta, August of 2020, the ABS will not conduct any business this year. We will not be judging for rank, no awards ceremony. We are sorry to do this, the entire board of directors is in agreement with me and in the words of our last founding member of the ABS, B. R. Hughes “Things in the forthcoming near future are too clouded to make sound decisions. However, if we err, let us err on the side of caution. There is nothing that might happen if the ABS if it does not participate in any manner at the forthcoming Blade Show in August -- that is, if that does transpire. Nothing is worth risking the health of a single ABS member or a member of his or her family by exposing them to COVID-19.

We are looking at alternatives for judging later in the year, but we hate to get hopes up, nothing is set, nothing is concrete, but if we can do something we will advise if we are sure and have secured all details.

During this time of quarantine, we never did find that crystal ball we needed. Things are starting to open slowly across the country, but with restrictions. We hope everyone stays healthy and keeps on forging.

Steve Dunn, ABS Chairman

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  14. skylercstevens

skylercstevens Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 7, 2013
    [​IMG]

Haebbie, pjsjr, m r merrill and 2 others like this.
  15. bucksway

Jan 7, 2007
    He WON'T be going...

jbmonkey and pjsjr like this.
  16. 110 Dave

110 Dave

May 6, 2004
    But he might !
    Last word not said yet...
    wife wants me to take him despite that several ppl were upset he was there last year but the other 3 years he was there not much was said at all ...
    he is a real service dog that alerts on any one with low or dropping blood sugar. With My Brother going with me as back up I likely won’t take him...
    too bad he is not a covid19 detection dog !!!

GPyro and jbmonkey like this.
  17. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    which of y'all is the oldest brother? dont tell me y'all are twins?:D

18. bucksway

Jan 7, 2007
    Na..David is 18 months older than me..

jbmonkey likes this.