1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Going to New York City

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by David Richardson, May 10, 2019.

1. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    From reading various legal sites and here, it seems I'll be ok carrying anything that:
    • Is concealed
    • Is under 4"
    • Is not a gravity knife
    For concealment, does anybody know if an exposed clip is a problem? What about less than 100% deep carry?

To meet the gravity requirement, it would seem safest to avoid anything that can be opened with moderate centrifugal force. I'm thinking a backlock is probably the best option, or maybe a frame/liner with very strong detent.

Appreciate any thought or experience on this. I'm more concerned about what the cops there care about since the language for "gravity knife" seems vague.

2. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    From what I've read it's more like no clip, deep in the pockets and not opened with AGGRESSIVE centrifugal force.

slakercruster and PirateSeulb like this.
  3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    In NYC, your safest bet is a non locking traditional. An exposed pocket clip can be enough to get you stopped on the street. If the officer is able to shake the blade open, even if it takes several tries, it can result in a ticket (or arrest?) and loss of your knife.
    If you're doing touristy things, be aware that some will have metal detectors & any knife (even if NYC legal) will likely be confiscated.

4. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    Good tip about the metal detectors. Probably best to not carry if I'm going into any buildings other than restaurants. I'll take something in my luggage and will probably not carry it much.

Will have to check my Endura to see if it will shake open. If I recall it's pretty stiff. Otherwise it'll be the UKPK. Have to test it as well, but I'm pretty sure it's not opening without the finger hole.

Thanks much.

5. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    Remember, it isn't whether YOU can open it that way... it's whether the cop can; and he'll probably try harder than you.

6. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    I get it. Some blades just don't want to shake open. I assume this means holding the handle and shaking to get the blade out as opposed to holding the blade and shaking the handle (aka Spydie drop).

7. Critter

Critter Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 23, 2003
  8. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks Doug. Should have gone there first.

9. 0lds

0lds Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2019
    I thought locking blades were also a no-go in NYC. Is that true?

10. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    Technically it's not true - there's nothing I've seen in the statutes about locking. However, the first paragraph in the Knife Rights link above addresses why it could be risky.

11. 0lds

May 17, 2019
    I see. Thanks!
    Though it looks like locking blades can’t be SOLD in NYC?

Copied from the prohibited sale section:
    b. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, or offer for sale within the jurisdiction of the city of New York, any folding knife with a blade length of four or more inches which is so constructed that when it is opened it is locked in an open position and cannot be closed without depressing or moving a release mechanism.

David Richardson likes this.
  12. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    No clip showing, I think i clipped mine but had a cargo pocket that hid the clip.
    Went to a garden with metal detectors and they held on to it and gave it back.
    Was a cheap 50$ gerber i got from walmart and could be 'flicked out' with some wrist action. (at the time i was ignorant of how dumb the laws are)
    I'd imagine you could get unlucky, buy a basic knife in the city and have a cop spend 5 minutes trying to get it to 'gravity' open,fail at it then loosen the pivot ' A HA!' then arrest you.
    Wonderful laws made by competent legislatures.

13. tom19176

tom19176 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Locking knives with OVER a 4" blade can not be sold. Under 4" is fine......

0lds likes this.
  14. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    That misconception is likely due to the countless discussions of gravity knives, as one of the specified features of such a knife is that the blade locks open.

0lds likes this.
  15. 0lds

May 17, 2019
    Thanks for clearing that up!

tom19176 likes this.
  16. stevejams

stevejams Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Hey guys, I live in ny and go to the city quite often so let me share what I’ve learned from my experiences...DONT BRING ANYTHING. This might be way over cautious, but what I’ve learned from experiences with the law in a few states/counties: it always depends on the cop. I have a very great deal of respect for our law enforcement, but they are human beings, and if they are having a bad day, they can land you in the clink for just about anything. Even if things are cleared up in court, it’s still not worth the hassle in the meantime. I am in construction and know some guys who have brought “legal” knives to the city for work, and at least half have been stopped and hassled at some time or another, because of knives that they had FOUND (not shown) on their person. Again, this may be seen as over cautious, and maybe i am missing details and facts about particular laws, but there is a time and place for everything, and I know that NYC is almost NEVER the time or place for anything sharp, pointy, or fun in the eyes of the law. Just my opinion, have fun in the city! Get a nice pretzel or something :p

17. KalkiKrosah

KalkiKrosah

May 2, 2018
    I live in New York as well, on Long Island. My job takes me into Queens frequently. I have carried my knife clipped to my pocket a couple times. I've spoken to cops with it visible but they never addressed it. I think I have just been lucky with the cops I have met so far. Everything that has been said is good advice. If you're visiting the city and don't live nearby its best to leave the knife at home. New York is not a knife friendly state and NYC is especially strict about their knife laws. If you must, bring a slip joint or a tiny swiss army knife. Because of the lack of a locking mechanism and the "tool" oriented look those knives would be a harder sell in court. Its still wiser to not bring one at all, but that is your best option if you feel you must bring a knife with you.

tom19176 and stevejams like this.
  18. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm going to the city in June and will bring an SAK Tinker or SD Classic. I also have a TSA safe SD Classic with the blade
    Dremelled off. Should take care of any small tasks.

Zieg

19. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I don't bring any knives into that city.