Good all around fixed blade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dwight K Shrute, Jul 4, 2020.

1. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    yeah, I have to agree with mora companion - I have the stainless version, which for such a simple and 'old' steel (12c27) still holds excellent all around properties. It's easy to sharpen on a river stone if needed : )

my 'all-around' fixed blade is a slightly more expensive knife in 14c28n (the sandvik upgraded stainless which is one of the best values today imho), ruike jager
    the value you get for this is outstanding
    [​IMG]

guy g, LG&M, fielder and 1 other person like this.
  2. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Another vote for the Ruike knives. I have two of their folders, the 14C28N is heat-treated well, it takes and holds a good edge, and corrosion resistance is more than acceptable, at least to me. The price is tough to beat for the quality. I'm thinking I like these more than CRKT, or even Kershaw, for knives at similar price points. The fact that they're actually not unattractive is icing on the cake! Style fit for the function, the best of both worlds.

gadunz and craytab like this.
  3. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Dwight, since you're going to literally be in salt water as opposed to on a boat, you almost certainly want a knife that is as corrosion resistant as you can get. People have recommended the Waterway but haven't told you why: unlike every other knife mentioned here, it's essentially rust proof. Picture of it below from spyderco.com.

Not all stainless steels are created equal. The Spyderco Waterway is made from a unique stainless steel called LC200N (or Z-FiNit or Cronidur 30). It's virtually rust-proof. I can't think of a better situation than yours for using this specific knife.

Another option would be to find a Spyderco Mule in LC200N. They are hard to find and you would need to provide your own handle or have one made, preferably rust proof. This is a more expensive option than buying a Waterway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  4. superpog

superpog Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 9, 2019
    +1 on spyderco waterway and ruike 14C28Ns

5. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    You could get a Spyderco Mule in SPY27 steel, the scales, and sheath from Spyderco. A Spyderco Waterway should do it all.

I am happy with smaller blades and a light hatchet.

6. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Yup. Totally agree. My review of it here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyderco-waterway.1734102/

The only issue the OP might have is the size and concealability. I have no problem with the size or carrying the Water Way, but that very much is a personal preference.

I said it already but I'll repeat it again, if you are literally going to be in saltwater while you fish, IE in the surf like the OP says he does, then you will want as rust proof as possible. Besides H1, LC200N is that steel. Plus, it is more than adequate as an everyday EDC type of steel.

7. rover

rover

Jul 9, 2004
  8. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
  9. rover

rover

Jul 9, 2004
    It's rustproof! Sorry man, that's all I got.

I think 345 is in line with most high-end production these days--not that I like it! Heck I saw a nice Spyderco bushcraft that was 350.

10. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Ha! Yeah, I've paid that much for a few fixed blades (Spartan, Busse, CPK).

11. beestokk

beestokk Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Maybe consider the Mora Kansbol with its dual grind if you're at all interested in a scandi/flat grind combination for multi-use as an outdoors enthusiast?

12. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Dendritic cobalt.

13. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Everybody should have a Morakniv.

pnsxyr, dirc and andrewjschutz like this.
  14. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Ah, but they came up with their own recipe it would seem, and trademarked it Terravantium! It's a new type of steel! :D

Eli Chaps likes this.
  15. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    Yep. H1 is is a distant 2nd choice for me due to the relatively poor edge retention. There's a plain edge Spyderco Aqua Salt in H-1, but I can't see any reason to do that vs. the Waterway. The LC200N Mule is great if you want a shorter blade. This happens to be my fishing knife. :) Finding one reasonably priced and and then finding handle hardware that won't rust could be a challenge. Like the OP, I clean my fish at home so it's not used to filet or butcher anything. It does get bloody and is usually wet.

Plenty of LC200 folder options. Sand and folders are not a good combo.

Nice job on that review. I'll disagree with the "master of none" comment. This is the master at corrosion resistance and having good edge retention. Is the handgun in your picture a Glock 26?

16. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks, and yes, G26. I would only say it isn't the best at corrosion resistance because of h1, which in SE is a great thing!

17. David Richardson

Nov 30, 2018
    Fair point. Maybe best at corrosion resistance with decent edge retention. H-1 reminds of of another popular steel that I won't carry because it seems to be dull after every cut.

18. andrewjschutz

andrewjschutz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Would you happen to know when abouts this mule will be out?

19. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    That waterway does seem like the correct option. It's more than some of the other options but not by that much. Buy once cry once. It looks like a tool for a lifetime.

20. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Drop Forged Hunter
    Manly Patriot
    Esee 3/4