1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

good deal on forge?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by tr3yanderson, Jul 11, 2019.

1. tr3yanderson

tr3yanderson

Mar 6, 2017
    [​IMG] Hey, found this at a garage sale for 50 bucks. Not sure what brand of forge, but is 50 bucks a good deal?

Thanks

2. effenoam

effenoam Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2013
    I think it is, I would pay 50 bucks for it and I already have a forge.

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    It is a good start. The wool needs to be coated with satanite, and some fire bricks stacked to create a front and back port.

Atlas Knife Company likes this.
  4. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Great deal!
    I’d still buy a burner from Charles of Atlas knife and tool. The 30k burner.

Atlas Knife Company likes this.
  5. tr3yanderson

tr3yanderson

Mar 6, 2017

Is the satanite just to help the wool last longer or does it make the forge hotter or more efficient?

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Both .... PLUS, it protects your lungs from the fibers getting blown about from the forge.

tr3yanderson likes this.
  7. Aidenag

Aidenag

Apr 16, 2009
    yeah don't use bare kaowool, that stuff is really bad to breath in. Like think asbestos or ground carbon fiber levels of bad for you. That said, $50 for that is a steal of a deal, just make sure to coat it. As stacy said, it's all around win win. Safer, more efficient, AND it will last longer as well.

tr3yanderson likes this.
  8. tr3yanderson

tr3yanderson

Mar 6, 2017
    Thanks guys. As always, you all are always helpful. I’m excited as my two brick forge broke when I moved two months ago so now I can get back at it.