1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Good Dive Knife Steel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ders, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Ders

Ders

Dec 7, 2014
    I would like to get a dive knife but don't know what kind of steel to look for. It doesn't necessarily need to be dive specific but just a good steel for high exposure to water. I have looked at the titanium dive knives but I'm not looking to spend that much on it. I realize I will still need a good amount of maintenance to keep it from rusting, but which steel needs least?
    Thanks, Ders

2. ak585479

ak585479

Jun 9, 2014
    H1 is pretty much rust proof. Any of Spyderco's Salt line of knives which are excellent performers. Pictured is my full SE Pacific Salt. Also, from what I understand, the serrated gives you more for your money in a sense since H1 work hardens and you end up with almost a ZDP edge hardness on serrated H1. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to spread misinformation.

[​IMG]

3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ah heck yeah! Easiest question we have had here in a while, thank goodness! Something from Spyderco in H1! There are many, many models with different varieties of blades, even fixed. I use a blacked out Pacific Salt. Not for diving though. Mostly for boating/swimming in fresh water, swimming pool duty, and of course sweaty workout duty.

[​IMG]

4. Ders

Ders

Dec 7, 2014
    That's actually perfect. I'm not on the ocean and don't have a dive certification yet. Swimming and free diving is when I would carry it. Thanks a lot!

5. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Glad we could help. And just to add this knife will still work perfectly well when/if you take it to the Ocean! You should check out this thread in the Spyderco Subforum about the H1 and the Ocean/Water:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...an-stories-pics-and-all-things-quot-salt-quot

6. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    Also look into elmax and niolox for better edge holding while staying stainless and keeping the toughness high.

7. crom

crom Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Boye knives in cobalt.

8. EChoil

EChoil Banned BANNED

May 22, 2014
    Tekna dive knife. 420 steel.

9. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    LC200N. As rustproof as H1 with much better edge retention, or at least that's what's being reported.

10. David From NC

David From NC Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2007
    A little pro tip here-

You ask about steel on a knife forum and that gets everybody excited about helping and reciting their steel knowledge.

I am a certified diver (PADI OW/Advanced/Rescue, SSI Public Safety Diver) but haven't been "wet" since 2007. All of that said...I am a knife nut too and here is my experience:

NO METAL is rust proof (I have been down that road many times) and HIGHLY SUGGEST cleaning the knife with your other gear, and storing it separately from the sheath (I realize this could be a safety issue but encourage you to find a workaround for this.)

11. zhyla

zhyla

Sep 11, 2011
    Does someone actually make a dive knife in H1 or LC200N? He did ask for a dive knife after all.

I have a dive knife. It just says "stainless". Since you almost never use a dive knife that's all you really care about -- edge performance is irrelevant. You put enough chromium in anything and it won't rust.

12. cf1969

cf1969 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Look at the Dive Rite Line Cutter. All I ever needed in the cutting department diving. YMMV.

13. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013

He said he wanted to most corrosion stuff out there, which is usually found in dive knives. He specifically said it didn't need to be dive specific. And you're right, no steel is rust proof, but they've done some crazy long soaks in salt water and stuff and no one can get H1 and LC200N to rust. That may not be rust proof, but they're definitely as corrosion resistant as anyone on the planet would need.

14. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    What exactly are you saying here. Do you think the Spyderco Salt folders don't qualify because they are folders?

Here are two spyderco fixed blades in H1 that are currently available:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=824
    https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=371

There are others like the Caspian that are discontinued that you might find on the secondary market.

Here is a post from the link I provided above where an H1 knife does show some rust after 4 years of hard use:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...uot?p=14107488&highlight=caspian#post14107488

15. crom

crom Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Boye's Dendritic Cobalt knives are absolutely rust proof knives.

16. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Was that rust, or buildup of some algae or other type of stuff? I remember a few years back on the Spyderco forum, someone else posted about how he rusted a Tasman which he kept on a fishing boat, with photos, but it looked a lot more like a particularly heavy buildup of algae (or similar stuff), and that the H1 was most likely intact under it. I seem to remember when this was suggested, he disappeared.

Jim

17. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Don't know, you may want to ask over there. Looks like it cleaned up nicely.

18. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    If I understand correctly that the OP is not near saltwater and is not certified then really the question is moot.
    Any stainless knife with waterproof materials will suffice for fresh water use. That said I have never carried a knife while swimming as it would only be added resistance. But if one were determined I would ensure that it was strapped, as an unstrapped one would be a knife waiting to get lost. I spent years skin diving/spear fishing and wore a fixed blade on my ankle. Never once had to use it but it made e feel more secure.
    Later when I got into Scuba and wreck diving, it became a whole different ball game. Depending on where and what type of diving one does a knife is a survival tool in a alien environment, cutting fishing line, prying and bending, acting as a stake to hold position, hammering on steel hulls, etc etc. In other words the type/size of knife becomes far more important than the type of steel. Any stainless knife with a routine gear washdown will resist corrosion sufficient to serve it's purpose. I still have my first dive knife from 1973, Scubapro made in Japan and probably 420 SS (maybe?) and it could still be used today, although I haven't dived in decades now.

19. RkyMtn

RkyMtn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Here is one for you!!

Ocean Master TK-200A Tactical Fixed 4.25 Inch Titanium Drop Point Blade (Carbon Fiber Handle) Kydex Sheath

I found one on sale at an Oh So Grand Knife retailer for $109

20. Shaggy DA

Shaggy DA

Aug 16, 2014
    Spyderco H-1 or Ceramic, take your pick. I've been hearing pretty good about the Spyderco Salt full cerrated quite a lot.