1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Good first Benchmade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Balrog99, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Buying, praising, discussing, supporting, advertising and bequeathing clone knives is a surefire way to get sideways around here. It’s not “hate”, simply support for our shared hobby/passion.

Hopefully your next knife purchase is more carefully considered.

Either way, good luck with your first Benchmade. They make a great, original knife. I’ve handled the Ganzo clone and it’s not bringing you a Benchmade experience.

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    The QC problems that are mentioned here are a selection bias. The result of a lot of knives, and very picky fans. Is every knife perfect? No, not possible. Is their QC better than many, yes, and is it good enough for most users? Yes.
    Amazon isn't the safest place to buy a knife from, and to be honest, there are many sellers who will get you almost the same deal with less stress and worry. Support your local dealers, and the knife makers you actually want.

colin.p likes this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I hate wasting money with crap knives. I think you should have gotten precisely what you originally wanted even if you had to save up a bit to afford it. I would also avoid the big river site for knives and buy from one of a regular dealers.

danbot likes this.
  4. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I had such high hopes for you.

palonej and danbot like this.
  5. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    Maybe you live in a warmer clime where the versaflex is tackier, but in the Pacific Northwet, the Mini Freek goes into and out of jeans and shirt pockets with no increased effort worth mentioning. Besides, it's not a tactical knife, so even if it takes two hands to extract it from silk pajama pockets I don't see that as a fatal flaw.

The only knife I have that can be a pain to extract from a pocket is my Cutjack Mini due to the aggressive texture (relative to cotton, not to hand flesh) of its FRN scale.

6. Balrog99

Balrog99

Apr 13, 2013
    Didn’t get the Ganzo to pretend I had a Benchmade or anything. Had the itch to buy something new on this paycheck and figured if I liked the overall shape of the Ganzo then maybe I’d get the grip since they’re roughly the same size. 20$ to try out a shape I’m iffy on vs 100+. But yeah, next time I’ll definitely just wait.

7. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Yeah I get it. I actually bought a random Ganzo cleaver to see if i liked the shape, which I did. Got a few proper pocketcleavers now.

Edit: To be fair, I really didn't know anything about Ganzo until after I had received it.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Balrog99 likes this.
  8. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    So what? You bought it. You funded people who rip off Benchmade and all the good folks who are financially associated with them. That's what it boils down to.

9. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Q: How many torches and pitchforks do you bring to a Ganzo purchase?
    A: As many as possible.

It's in the past. The man can't go back in time and undo his purchase. Why treat him like a dog over it? As someone stated, you don't get Benchmade quality with a Ganzo purchase. Why not focus on that?

10. Silent H

Silent H Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2018
    I won't pile on about the ganzo purchase, since I share the same opinions as everyone else on this forum.

As for Benchmade's QC, there has been some fair criticism in the past, and I think they have been getting better when it comes to that. I think their QC is no better or worse than Spyderco or ZT's, and they have a great warranty (just like the other two brands). One benefit of buying from a dealer that supports BladeForums (instead of the big river site you mentioned) is that almost all of them will inspect a knife before shipping it, if you ask them to.

11. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Sure. I can focus on that. It's another excuse.

"Don't buy a clone because they have lower quality."

No, don't buy a clone because they are clones.

As for it being in the past, that is true. Say it was a mistake and be done with it. We all make mistakes. No point in coming up with excuses for them.

In my opinion. YMMV.

I bought some sucky knives. I was stupid. Now I know better.

12. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    A year or so ago I would have said griptilian but I have had a full size and the mini and both were sold/traded pretty soon after i got them.

Classic case of just getting caught up in the hype.

So I say just get the crooked river.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  13. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Don’t see how it’s an excuse but, like you said, its your opinion.

I’ve own some Ganzo products.
    Was not that impressed. Sure, you got a lot for your money but, there are better knives for about the same money.

Mine went to a friend. He loves it.

marcinek likes this.
  14. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    :facepalm:

15. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Maybe I misread the way you were presenting it.

I have just seen "Don't buy clones because the quality is low." used as a reason to not buy clones.

If someone made a Ganzobenza using the same materials and tolerances at half the price...I would not buy it.

I know our attitudes towards clones change as we get deeper into knives. I believe I was in the "A Ganzobenza is OK because the Ganzobenza buyer wasn't going to spend the money on a real Sebenza anyway...so no loss." crowd myself back when.

But I started to feel that all the rationalizations were nonsense as my passion for knives grew.

You don't buy a clone because....it's a clone.

As for anybody who bough a clone...there was a time for all of us when we didn't know or think better about knives. It's not a big deal, just live with a mistake and grow. You can't lose respect for anybody who does that.

Just don't try to make excuses like "Didn’t get the Ganzo to pretend I had a Benchmade or anything."