1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Good leather wallets?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by adrock1978, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Pygmalion

Pygmalion

Oct 7, 2007
    I've been carrying my Bosca wallet for going on 11 years, and it's probably got that many more years left. Hands down the best leather wallet I have ever seen, much less owned.

http://www.bosca.com/index.html

2. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
  3. I'mGatMan!

I'mGatMan!

Dec 13, 2007
    DN, Mark is right. When I mentioned customs I was referring to Ron Bryant, Kevin King, Travis Walker and Bill Wall--all amazing craftsman who do custom leatherwork.

As for SBL, I spoke with Dave yesterday and he is working on a leather Moleskine cover that he hopes to have out by December. I have spent years looking for a quality journal cover, and while GFeller makes a nice one for the large Moleskines, I'm very interested in seeing what Dave has in mind...especially since he has been a Moleskine user for years.

I keep trying to come up with reasons to "need" a satchel, but I just can't think of anything--besides the fact that I want one, of course. :D

If I can get the satchel and matching Moleskine cover I might hafta pull the trigger. Then I'll just need an Indiana Jones hat and a whip. ;)

4. stricknine

stricknine

Nov 12, 2008
    cappy2cap,

dude, you are so right about the cost of these items, i thought the girls liked what is in the wallet, versus the carrying device, they are awesome!
    kinda reminds me of the nettleton shoes they once sold at yountz de boe in greensboro, nc. good quality items are hard to come by now and are at a premium. i remember paying 35.00 for a pair of nettleton shoes and now if you can find them new, they easily approach the 700. mark.

nice quality wallet though, but i wonder how much the LV cost that is stamped on it, just like gucci, RL or Dooney Burke, etc...

Yesterday, 09:36 PM
    Cappy2cap

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adrock1978
    If I had a louis vuitton wallet, I'd kick my own a$$... YMMV.
    Dont hate on me bro....LVs are not 1000's of dollars cuz they are made in INDIA...they are hand made and worth every penny.

Besides, in a metrosexual world, LV is king and the king always gets the girlies!!!

warning: dont bring your gf in the store with you cuz the hand bags are 5x what the wallets cost.

5. UDDwaine

UDDwaine

Apr 8, 2007
    Just get a money clip and forget the wallet :)

6. adrock1978

adrock1978

May 30, 2009
    I'm not hating dude. Appreciate anything you want. Just not my preference. I'm already married, so picking up chicks via wallet status isn't my MO right now. You never told me anything about the wallet, or gave me any pics or price. Its not the physical name of the brand I dont like... its what I assume an LV would look like. If thats not the case, then by all means show me what you got.

As a funny side note... maybe I am a bit of a hypocrite. This is my LV wanna-be paintball gun :p
    [​IMG]

7. Cappy2cap

Cappy2cap

May 19, 2009
    No worries...i was just playin anyway...sometimes its hard to convey sarcasm on emails...ill tell you what, if i get a chance, i will photo-fy it tonight when i get home

then you may drool :eek::D

8. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    Some more US-made options:

Hartmann - I like their belting leather. It starts off natural color, and darkens as you use it. Some of my stitching is starting to wear, but overall construction is good.

Orvis - they carry a Bison leather wallet made in the US. I don't think all of their wallets are US.

Regarding Bosca - I don't think they're made in the US any more. David Morgan lists the Bosca items they carry as made in China. I couldn't find any info from a quick survey of the Bosca site.

Regarding Louis Vuiton - lots of the luxury brands started out as leather makers, and know what they're doing. Add Hermes and Coach to that list. Unfortunately, when they figured out they could sell handbags for $1,000+, lots of them sold out and outsourced. Production and profits went up, but quality went to h*ll. The USA-made Coach stuff I have is AWESOME. The Chinese stuff they have in stores now makes me want to cry. I'd buy one of the Coach waterbuffalo wallets in a second, if current quality was equal to the old stuff. Congrats to LV if they're still doing it right. Can't say I'm a fan of the all-over logo, though.

9. Dark Nemesis

Dark Nemesis

Mar 20, 1999
    Ah! Thanks now I understand. I keep crossing my fingers one day he'll offer a larger briefcase or a new bag entirely focused on the larger chassis laptops.

10. Dark Nemesis

Dark Nemesis

Mar 20, 1999
    I like both the new bifold and the redesigned passport wallet (has the card holders similar to the bifold now). My one question would be the impact of multiple cards against each other and the magnetic strips.

People always say two cards flat against each other for long periods destroys the strips...I dont know if thats true.

Thoughts anyone? With only four holders I imagine most people would ahve to double up in at least some of them.

11. adrock1978

adrock1978

May 30, 2009
    My wallet now is a Dockers tri-fold. All of my 6 cards are in 3 slots. I'm sure they wear a bit from friction alone, but the magnetic strips have never affected each other.

12. pioneertoo

pioneertoo

Jul 20, 2009
    I like Carhart nylon wallets for the field. For dress, it is hard to beat English-made bridle leather. I think W&H Gidden makes the best.

13. I'mGatMan!

I'mGatMan!

Dec 13, 2007
    For the price of a Louis wallet, I would instead go with a custom by one of the makers I linked to above and have my wallet made exactly how I want it with aesthetics that I like.

If I got one as a gift i'd rock it without question...as long as it didn't have that metrosexual LV logo all over it. In Miami that will get you hit on stupid fast...and NOT by a woman.

14. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    I've been carrying a Louis Vuitton wallet for over 2 years now, and it still looks exactly the same as it did when I got it. Yes, it was a gift. It doesn't have the ghey logo all over it either.

[​IMG]

I don't know what it's made out of- but it's tough as hell.

15. I'mGatMan!

I'mGatMan!

Dec 13, 2007
    That one is dope, Moon. If I got that as a gift I'd definitely rock it. However, for the money, I would go custom.

I know many of us wouldn't spend $400 on a wallet. We spend whY we do on Busse because we LIKE them, or because we can justify those costs when relative to a tool.

Call me crazy, but I try to buy the best I can afford EVERY time. If I buy a bag, I wann use it for YEARS. if I spend $500 once Nd use the bY for 10 years, that's equivelant fo spending $50 a year on a new one...and many of us can destroy a bag in less than a year...especially HS Language Arts teachers.

For me it's the same way with everything, which is why I ONLY own 5 Busses which are all users. They each have a purpose, and each is the best quality I've found for my uses. For this reason, I don't really call myself a collector. Yes, I do collect things, but they are all things I use...so I want the best I can afford. Atwood keychain tools, McGizmo flashlights, Saddleback bags, XM-18's, LMT Arfgun, Remmy Police shotty, etc etc etc...

I'm not dropping names to boast or brag. I only need one Arfgun, one shotty, etc...so I buy the ONE tool which will serve me best for longest.

How does that relate to wallets? Over the past 5 hears I have used at least 5 different wallets. That's got to be at least 150$. Assuming my current Fossil only lasts me a year or two, I will have to buy another one soon. I HATE buying the same thing over and over, so next time I buy a wallet I will pay more for a wallet with some longevity.

It is also for this reason that I own Busse fb's. If I ever NEED another, it'll only be because I gave one away or sold one.

J

16. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
  17. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    I just checked out that seller's store and they have several nice wallets. I really like the Buffalo, Ostrich, and Elephant bi-folds that they are selling.

Ostrich and Elephant wear really well, but I have never owned the Cape Buffalo.

18. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    The Cape Buffalo is some of the best leather I have had.
    This seller gets them from South Africa too,they are made by Zulu IIRC from animals hides culled off reserves.

19. gga357

gga357 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Ostrich is very tough, but has the bumps.

20. Grimspoon

Grimspoon

Nov 23, 2007
    Great topic! Lots of tempting suggestions here!

Here's the old leather wallet I've been carrying for the past ~14 or so years, bought it while on a field trip to Toronto when I was in grade 7 or 8 (I'm 27, for reference).

It is actually a "No Fear" branded wallet, if anyone can remember that clothing / T-shirt brand popular in the 90's... :barf::barf::barf:

It actually had a metal "No fear" logo clipped onto the front but it has long since been torn off.

I've been trying to decide on a new wallet for about a year now but haven't really seen anything I like. After taking this photo just now I actually see that the stitching is coming apart on the inside. :( I think it's about time to make a decision! :thumbup:

Not terrible for a sub 30 dollar wallet that's almost half as old as I am.

[​IMG]

Edit: Just thought I'd mention that this wallet has been through the wash so many times I've lost count! And when I was working in Tool & Die it soaked up so much sweat that I eventually started leaving it (and quite often forgetting it) in my toolbox.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009