1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Got an oldish axe head, but how old?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Paramedico987, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Paramedico987

Paramedico987

Nov 22, 2020
    Hi there, folks. Name's Phil.

I got this axe head from my late father-in-law. It was found somewhere in his garage all rusted out and handle-less. I have no idea where he got it from or whether it was from his father, who owned the house before him.

Anyhow, I cleaned it up some and threw a handle on it and then got to thinking about the stamps on it.

A little research later, it was manufactured by the Kelly Axe & Tool Company and also branded as "True Temper". The True Temper name started to appear about 1930 when the company was sold to American Fork and Hoe Company. They continued making axes under the True Temper name until 1983.

So I know it was made between 1930-1983. Most of the markings on their tools are more elaborate, so I suspect that it's a pretty old piece.

If anybody in the know could take a stab at when this thing might have been made, I'd be interested to know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jake pogg likes this.
  2. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Most likely made around the time of the merger. In later time "Kelly Axe & Tool Co" was substituted by "Kelly Works"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    junkenstien, garry3 and jake pogg like this.
  3. Paramedico987

Paramedico987

Nov 22, 2020
    So, with more internet searching...

It appears this thing was likely made in the late 1920's. The placement of the markings and the company being called "...& Tool Co" rather than "Kelly Works" speaks to a pre-1930 model, prior to the American Fork & Hoe merger. There was at least one reference I found to the "True Temper" brand being used by Kelley before the merger. Very interesting stuff.

4. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Can you post a link to this reference?

5. Paramedico987

Paramedico987

Nov 22, 2020
    After reviewing everything again, I must've gotten my wires crossed.
    I'm gonna say this thing was from just after the acquisition, before they changed over all the stamps to "Kelley Axe & Tool Works"...
    Still coo, though.