Got me thinking...

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Carolinabuck, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Carolinabuck

Carolinabuck

Oct 27, 2017
    I had the privilege of meeting a 92 yr old gentleman today during a meeting of what's left of our knife collector club. He showed us his EDC, a case copperhead his late wife gave him on his birthday long before I was ever thought of. The knife definitely showed its age, the scales are worn smooth and the blades are worn from years of honest work and careful shaping. This gentleman's wife passed in 1973, and it's still to date the only knife he carries.

2020 was rough on our club due to the passing of several members, not being able to have our meetings because of covid, and general problems we all face. But meeting this gentleman and seeing his EDC, and hearing his stories, made me realize what a chump i am. ..

I had planned to swing by the local farm supply store today and look at their awesome selection of knives, but instead I decided to spend the money on my great wife and 80 yr old mother taking them out to eat. I have a ammo can full of knives, but only one mother and one beautiful wife. Granted things are different today than in my new friends day, but will I reap more reward with more knives, or spending money on the lady who adopted me and raised me, and the beautiful young lady who has struck by me through all my hardest times?

I recently just took a case trapper out of the box my wife gave me the year we took our vows.(she also bought me a stag trapper when we first started dating!) Anyway, I think I'm going to start putting some miles on my trapper and cut back on my "knife budget". I don't really need new knives as much as I need to see the smiles on my wife and mothers face. If tomorrow i pass, I don't want to be known as the knife hoarder, but as a man who carved a spot and filled it with love for family and friends. I'm sure I'll keep creeping the forums, but I think it will truly test my resolve!

2. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    This is kind of a special knife for my wife and I. There are a few others that have some history that I enjoy, some that I carry and one that I still keep at home. I'll get a new knife, but I still wind up with one of my old friends in my pocket. Anymore, I'm more interested in doing things than having things.

[​IMG]

3. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    That's a lovely sentiment. :) I hope you'll share some photos of one or both of those special Trappers!

pjsjr, Un-Chained, Wharn and 2 others like this.
  4. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Thank You!

Dave

Un-Chained likes this.
  5. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    It’s easy to get caught up in the latest and greatest in knife collecting. It’s nice to take a step back and appreciate the important things in life instead. Thanks for sharing.

pjsjr, knowtracks, CelloDan and 2 others like this.
  6. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    What a beautiful sentiment... I hope your can spend on knives AND take your wife and mom out for dinner. :) Do share the pictures of the trapper knives when you can.

pjsjr and knowtracks like this.
  7. SDknifeguy

SDknifeguy

Jan 19, 2020
    What model Case is this?

8. Un-Chained

Un-Chained Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2021
    That’s an interesting approach to what we do day to day. I believe in moderation and attempt to fulfil my goals, and it does take as much time as it takes. I take care of my mom with Parkinson’s, and I’m reminded every moment of each day to appreciate everything I have and do. Connecting with friends, family and my hobbies is the only way I find to fully enjoy life.

Gus

pjsjr, knowtracks, mbkr and 4 others like this.
  9. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Yes, glad you recognize the perils of coming on the forums and the enabling power within, I commend and admire you for that.
    I know many of us don't need the numbers of knives we have.
    Reaching a balance and moderation in our lives should be an on going goal and commitment. It's something I have struggled with most of my life. I wish you more success than I have had.

knowtracks, rockman0, mcc850 and 2 others like this.
  10. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    @Carolinabuck Great post.

Its actually nice to experience something that refocuses your perception of what is important in life.

We have so many distractions in our society today and so much pressure to have, have, have. That pressure causes people to become distracted from the good things that are in our lives each and every day.

Of course there is nothing wrong with having pride and joy in your possessions and I am pretty sure everyone here finds that in our obsession with sharp pointy things.

Posts like yours are why I love the traditional part of this forum.

ktataragasi, pjsjr, marsturm and 2 others like this.
  11. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    OP, great attitude. That's one of my favorite posts of all time.

12. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Hello my friend.
    I had similar thoughts this morning as I got up and saw my beautiful wife busy preparing breakfast, my daughters giggling as they talked and got ready for the day, the sound of the violin as my daughter practices.
    I need to live these moments more, pay more attention to them and give back more in return !
    Thanks for sharing, it's good to know I was not alone.

13. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I believe this would be the full size Case Copperlock in jiggeed navy blue bone. Stainless steel. It is one of their standards and you should be able to find one online if you look around a bit. The red shield on the blue bone are a nice combo. They do a great one in green as well.

,,,Mike in Canada

knowtracks and Getting older like this.
  14. JonMcD

JonMcD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Yes and we’ll said my Carolina brethren. A great reminder for me to use these shiny, sharp things to help make memories, not steal time from those I love!

15. mcc850

mcc850 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Yes, but didnt you notice there are caplifters on the new 85s!?!?!?!?!?! Only kidding, of course. Very nice post @Carolinabuck! It is very easy to get caught up in the rat race of life (including knives). Posts like these help us all reflect on the things that are most important to us. Thank you for sharing!

pjsjr, mnblade, knowtracks and 2 others like this.
  16. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    That is indeed a full-size Copperlock, as Duper previously pointed out.

17. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Since I started to ignore the GEC happenings, I've gained back many hours of my week.
    I now spend that time in my leather shop or playing fetch with my puppy. That's time better spent I think.

18. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Nice sentiment! You are doing what many can't or won't try to do. How true, that we can all be here one day, and gone the next.

As for me, I have a slightly different slant. I try to make time for both hobbies and family (I said TRY, LOL). Between the stress of work and family stuff, my knife hobby is necessary IMO to balance out the other stuff. My time working on knives, as well as the time spent on the forums, is very therapeutic for me. It gives me a chance to be alone with my thoughts and focus on one task in silence without the other "noise" interfering.

That being said, 2020 did give me pause to rethink my collecting habits. I did slow to almost no new knives, and took better stock and enjoyment of my existing collection. So, I guess there's hope for me.

Wharn, pjsjr, Marlingspike12 and 11 others like this.
  19. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Great post! Great thread! A very thoughtful reminder of what is really important.

I think I'm going to take my wife out to dinner real soon! This pandemic has kept us out of restaurants since last March! I have saved a bunch of money though!:D This Thursday it will be 14 days since we got our second Moderna vaccination. It's time to carefully celebrate a little, I think.

I WILL have a traditional knife in my pocket when we go.

Wharn, GE Jr, pjsjr and 8 others like this.
  20. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    For me, knives are a hobby. If they no longer bring you any pleasure, then by all means take a step back.

Most hobbies cost money.