Got my First Case Knife in the Mail Today

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Viper84, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Viper84

Viper84 Patina Artist Platinum Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Looks good? Or nah...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    That ain't right.

3. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Off center blade to me is a cosmetic defect, so long as the blade isn't hitting the liner.

Those gaps might be more serious. How bad is the side to side wigglie wobblies when the blade is open?

For me a case of wobblie wigglies is a deal murderer. Small gaps that you need a light to find, are a cosmetic defect, since they don't affect the use of the knife.
    Those gaps are considerably larger, and may affect the operation. There is zero side to side support of the tang.
    I'd return it for refund or a remake, with gaps like those.
    Not even my $8 Rough Ryder Barlows or $9.99 large stockmans, or $6.99 Marbles MR278 "G.I. Utility Knife"/"Demo Knife" has "mile wide" gaps like those.
    One or two gaps that you need a bright light to find between back spring and liner on one or two, yeah. My GEC, has tissue/cigarette paper thin or less, need a bright light to find them gaps too, for that matter.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  4. Tx308

Tx308 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I can forgive Case for a lot of things, but that knife ain't right. That's unacceptable defect level gap.

5. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    That’s so not good. And why I just can’t bring myself to finish an online order of a Case still, even though they sometimes find their way into my shopping cart. But that is as bad as I’ve seen. Sorry you got one like that. :thumbsdown:

waynorth, cbr1000 and Viper84 like this.
  6. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Hot garbage!!

This, right here, is one of the reasons I will buy GEC sight unseen, but not case or Queen any more...

That blade centering is an atrocity, and the gaps are a war crime....

I've had Schatt and Morgan blades and Queen collaborations show up like that....and fixed them in a vice. The old squeeze and peen....but I'd send that back (even though I didn't )

That would be back in the box with an angry letter faster than a mail order bride would divorce an ugly billionaire with no prenup!!

Quiet, waynorth, Boxer .45 and 7 others like this.
  7. huntnfishin

huntnfishin Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2009
    That just makes me sad for Case. What happened to quality? Taking pride in your work? Guess that went out with a whimper.

Send it back. Buy an older pre 1979 Case with a pinned shield. Lots available. If you have a hard time finding something decent contact me and I will try to help.

I did like the color of the scales...:)

8. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    The blade is hitting the liner, and the blade play is atrocious. This is definitely going back for a refund. I had heard that Case quality control wasn't as good as GEC, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I was looking forward to expanding beyond GEC and adding some Case knives to my collection, but now I'm having second thoughts.

9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That's a Friday knife right there If I've ever seen one.
    Somehow I've been lucky and every case I've bought must've been done on a Wednesday or something.

10. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    What pattern is that? Is it their Swayback?

Regardless, that is pretty darn terrible. I can abide slightly off-center blades, especially on older knives, but this 'un is beyond the pale. Plus, the blade play would drive me nuts.

I am bummed for your experience. The last handful of Case knives I have received have been pretty excellent but this certainly shows that they could do a much better job at catching the lemons.

11. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    That's the first time I've seen a Case knife like that. I recommend giving Case another try, they can do a lot better than that.

[​IMG]
    This Congress is pretty close to perfect for the $45 I paid for it used.

[​IMG]
    The shield is just a touch proud on this Canoe. I didn't even notice it until I had it over a year.

12. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    Yes sir, the swayback.

waynorth and Pàdruig like this.
  13. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    Unfortunately I had a brand new Large Stockman in CV and amber bone show up with problems yesterday. It looks perfect. When I set it on my desk I heard a rattle. Wondering what it was, I start inspecting. The walk and talk was great, blades are aligned like they should be, but theres a ton of side to side blade play in each blade when closed and its worse when opened. Im thinking of returning it. In the same package I also received a large stockman with black laminate handles and stainless blades. Its got ZERO wobble in any blade, open or closed. I get that they might be “hand made” but still.

Another thing I noticed is that every case knife has had a ridiculous burr on one side of each edge. They cant pass each blade just once a side on a strop belt or buffing wheel after the sharpen them? Luckily the end user can easily knock a burr off of the edge, but still it shouldnt be there.

I just dont see how in this day and age a company can put out products with a wide range of acceptable quality

waynorth, Un-Chained and Viper84 like this.
  14. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Definitely send it back. Swaybacks, in my experience, are usually GEC quality. That one is junk.

15. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Looks like you could watch Jeopardy through that gap. :eek: Case might not be GEC, but the 15 or so that I have - made in recent years - are all quite decent.

waynorth, Un-Chained and Viper84 like this.
  16. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Just send it in to Case. They'll take care of you. Granted, you shouldn't have to but sometimes, things fall through the cracks - errrrrrrrrrr gaps.

17. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    That's gotta be one of those Friday afternoon at 4pm knives! I think I got a car like that once!:eek:
    Case will make it right. It shouldn't have left the factory or the dealers shelf!

18. Catdaddy2

Catdaddy2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2019
    I would be bummed for sure. Like everyone is saying send it back to Case and the should make it right.

waynorth and Viper84 like this.
  19. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    In my experience most Swayback Gents are off center to that same side. That is worse than any I have seen though.

waynorth and Viper84 like this.
  20. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I can see how something like this would turn someone off to a brand. I'm sure Case will fix it, but it never should've left the factory in the first place.

waynorth, Peregrin and Viper84 like this.