Got My Surgery Date Today.....

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Yvsa, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Well first of all I want to thank all of y'all that has posted positive thoughts, Smoke up, and prayers in my Update, Drs' Appointment Today..... thread.

Well I wasn't disappointed today, Monday 9th, as Jackie, Dr. Gaede's scheduling nurse, called me late this afternoon after being in to see Dr. Gaede last Friday to see when I wished to have the first of the two surgeries that I have to have done.
    I go in to Dr. Gaede's office Monday the 16th @ 11:00 a.m. to be fitted for my new cervical collar and then @ noon I go across the street to the Tulsa Spine & Specialty Hospital for my pre-op workup before the surgery.
    We then scheduled the neck surgery for 8:00 a.m. the following Wednesday, the 18th of November. Dr. Gaede says this surgery will only take a couple of hours, barring any complications that is, and a couple - three days in the hospital.

Then if all goes well Dr. Gaede says we can do the *Big* surgery a couple of months afterward. This surgery will require as many as 6 to 8 hours and up to 6 to 8 units of blood and a 7 day stay in the hospital.

This link is simply a precursor to the link below although it has excellent x-ray pictures that show the before and after pictures of a woman that was diagnosed with Flatback Syndrome. You can really see the differences between the, "Flatback" Spine and,
    the lower picture that shows her, "Spine With The Proper Lordosis....."
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article3321.html

Figure 5 in the link below is the type of surgery Dr. Gaede will be doing in the second go around, "The Three Column Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy (PSO)." Hopefully having this surgery done will finally and at long last negate any need for further back surgeries on me..... :thumbup: :)
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article308.html

Please excuse any repeats or slip ups because of my laziness these days. The longer I set here the more pronounced the tingling and numbness in my upper extremities gets so to save myself so much two/four fingered typing I copied and pasted the email I sent out to all my online family and friends. ;) :eek:

2. shappa

shappa

Oct 15, 1998
    Allow me to be the first to wish you a succesful and painfree surgery, followed by a full and complete recovery my friend.

Smoke up from the west coast.

3. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    And allow me to be the second to wish you same.
    Smoke ,Hope and Prayers for Relief of pain,numbness and a smooth gentle recovery.

4. DaddyDett

DaddyDett

Jan 9, 2006
    I'll third that!

5. lal chatri

lal chatri

Sep 2, 2008
    i'll fourth that yvsa

6. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    OK, Friend.

7. MacHete

MacHete Hair Cropper & Chipmunk Wrangler

Apr 7, 2000
    Thanks or the update, my friend!

8. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    With you in thoughts and prayers.

9. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    Praying for a good outcome.

Back surgery scares me. You're a brave man.

10. ACStudios

ACStudios

Apr 9, 2001
    Good Luck Yvsa!! Prayers continue..

11. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Once again thanks to all for the continued smoke and prayers!!!!
    They're not only very comforting for me they are Most Appreciated as well!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

Cpl Pun, these coming up will be numbers 8 and 9 which will be the third one on my neck, this time going in through the back of my neck instead of cutting into my throat. :) Good thing the throat side incision is a kitty cornered incision instead of straight across, ear to ear..... ;) :eek:
    The one on my low back will be the 6th one in that area.

As far as being brave....... I really wish I were brave and especially as brave as so many folks thinks that I am.
    As far as going through all of the back surgeries making me brave it's quite the opposite actually. I submit to having the surgeries in order to hopefully get rid of the excruciating pain I pretty much constantly have.
    If I were really a brave man I wouldn't be setting here typing this because earlier this last week I would've taken the quick and easy way out.
    That and the fact I would never intentionally do anything that would cause my Dear Sweet Wife Barbie any further pain or anguish. :( I also can't take the easy way out as doing so goes against everything I believe in as well, one example being, "Be who you say you are." When I started being a recognized ndn spiritual leader and now elder I took on more responsibility and like, not doing anything to hurt my Barbie, I also make the choice not to sully my good name.....

12. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    bravery is going ahead and doing what needs doing in spite of your fears and apprehensions, only a fool is fearless in such situations. good luck my friend. you have the knowledge you are loved and respected by many who will be praying for you during the operations, i hope it is of comfort and is of some help. if you smell lavender incense, that is my smoke wafting my prayers for you upwards.

13. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    For some people, courage isn't a choice. You're lucky to be one of those, Yvsa.

OK, on a lighter note, would you rather:

A.) Have this particular surgery; or

B.) Walk naked through a tornado of razor blades and khukuris?

Oh. The tornado also has fire in it.

And no fair asking for a kevlar loincloth; they don't make them.

Mike ;)

14. gravertom

gravertom

Jun 4, 2004
    Yvsa, continued prayers my friend.

my whole family, including myself, have been down with the flu, nothing too bad, but I've been scarce lately.

Anyway, glad things are progressing towards a hopeful goal!

Keeping yourself around for the sake of others is a brave and manly thing to do.

:thumbup:

Tom

15. BruiseLeee

BruiseLeee

Sep 7, 2001
    . :)

16. Moff8

Moff8

Apr 14, 2004
    my back has been hurting since I looked at those pictures.

Reminded me of you.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."
    Mark Twain