1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Great thanks for great help!

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Bill Martino, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    [​IMG]

The picture above -- such as it is -- is Sgt Karka and staff doing a Bishwakarma puja for my health at his home. Done maybe three weeks ago. The kamis at BirGorkha shut down for a day or two during the last month to do the same thing. Pala did sort of a prayer-lunch Buddhist thing up at the temple as soon as he got back to Nepal which benefited a hundred monks -- and me! The prayer was a health improvement deal.

Here I have received beautiful email, gifts, cards, letters, calls, all wishing for my well being, with much, much smoke sent up on my behalf. And not just here, smoke going up from all parts of the world.

Got a call today from one of my oldest customers -- buying khukuris since 1989. Fundamentalist Christian Minister who almost went Marine Chaplain years ago. His church had special prayer evening for me.

What I have done to deserve such consideration I'm not quite sure, however, I will not argue this point (too smart for that) but I'll humbly and gladly accept any consideration from any quarter with great gratitude. I am actually overwhelmed (can't think of a better word) by this outpouring of good will and consideration.

Summary:

Six months ago the medical community was almost certain I had a cancer in left kidney. They were ready to cut it out. I had three offers of extra kidney just in case I might need one. Last look says the left kidney is unchanged and latest prognosis is a "cautious" -- no cancer. Kidneys functioning normally.

A month or so ago the local radiologist looked at my PET scan and was certain enough to identify a cancer (that's what he called it) in head of pancreas -- about two inches. But follow up biopsy said otherwise. Tumor, cyst, whatever it might be was blocking pancreatic ducts so enzymes and insulin couldn't get out and into the act. Result -- lot of 8-9 level pain and inability to eat. Put on dilaudid, enzymes, and other meds.

Will do another PETscan end of month, compare, decide course of action.

Bottom line:

Maybe 3-4 weeks back woke up one night soaking wet. Something happened which made me sweat enough to soak my nightwear (sweatsuit) and bed coverings. BUT, next day appetite started to return and pain began to visit less often. I was down to 147 pounds and couldn't stop the loss. Weighed today and I've gained back about ten pounds, take one pain pill per day or none rather than 6 or 7, and am starting to get a little energy back.

My personal belief is my death day was written with my first breath and it's almost impossible to change that so I don't try. I don't ask God for an extra minute but what I do ask for is that I make it to my death day with a minimal amount of misery and suffering.

Prayer works and can do things that the medical community cannot. Pain is pretty much gone, I'm eating fairly well, can even drink two or three bottles of Heineken and I'm getting some energy back. Major problem is sleep -- as you can probably tell if you check the time of this post -- but I can sleep any time so that doesn't matter all that much. I'm very pleased and ever so thankful to feel as well as I do. I think the prayers did it. There is no way I can thank all those who helped me -- utmost gratitude from Titanic II. Only possible way I know is to keep doing the dance for as long as I can and as well as I can so that's the plan.

Stay tuned. It ain't over 'til it's over.

2. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    God bless you Uncle.
    Go have some fun.

3. Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Feb 23, 2002
    Great news, Uncle! :D

4. Bex

Bex

Nov 30, 2003
    As they say, good things happen to good people. Smoke is still going up.

5. hellzrazor

hellzrazor

Apr 8, 2004
    UB--A few prayers--been SMOKIN youre way from HI's Resident Metalhead Necromancer here.

Postdated check for 12 in AK I ordered mails today--

had well problems--where in he--double toothpix is all the black sand comin from??

You guyz pray for us too; wife and I are both on disability; crawlin under single wides is hard for a guy on stix.

UB--Thanx for the payment arrangement. I really had no Idea that one was comin'--

Go kick some butt--God Bless--

6. Lion's Roar

Lion's Roar

Apr 11, 2004
    That's the best AM news I've had in a long time. Glad to hear it.

David

7. truck

truck

Jan 22, 2002
    Go Man Go

I guess everybody's happy except the goat :eek: :D

8. ed tank

ed tank

Jan 19, 2003
  9. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    Praise God! I'm glad all the prayer is working. My Pastor cited a statistic from a poll taken in the medical community about patients who had people praying for them. With all things being equal with seriously ill patients, 73% inexplicably (from a purely scientific point of view) improved, where those who were not being prayed for did not.

Based on what I've seen in my life so far, I didn't need a poll to convince me that prayer works, and I'm very pleased to see the positive results with you, Uncle Bill! It is also no wonder why so many diverse folks care about you, Unlce. IMHO it is because you treat us all like family in our dealings and interactions. This is something rare, refreshing, and valued to me and everyone else here.

God Bless,

Craig

P.S. it almost sounds like it is time for a video poker night :D :D :D !

10. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe

Dec 5, 1998
    You continue to amaze, Uncle Bill.

11. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Its great to hear an upbeat tone in your posts again, Uncle Bill. I'm very glad to hear you're doing well. A lot of smoke and prayers went out for you because you are a great man. But to elaborate on that, you show us a kind of compassion and respect that many of us would like to find more of in ourselves. At one point in my life it was easy to just eek by as long as it benefitted me in some way. Now, anytime i'm in one of those situations I often ask myself "How would Uncle Bill handle this?". It hasn't let me down since. Thanks for hanging in there for us, Uncle Bill:)

~Jake

12. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    on the mend, for sure....

13. yaj

yaj

Sep 21, 2003
    I second that!This news brings great joy to us.
    Yaj.

14. ACStudios

ACStudios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Prayer works :)

That is great news Bill. I'll keep you on the prayer list until you are up to normal Heiniken intake levels and sleeping at night :D

Alan

15. fenryr

fenryr

Mar 26, 2004
    Excellent.... :) :)

Hang in there and thanks for all that you've given us / me.

Steve

16. BruiseLeee

BruiseLeee

Sep 7, 2001
    :) :)

17. servtech

servtech

Dec 22, 1999
    After all this time since the "meltdown" , I finally realized that cookies to this site had been disabled, not allowing me to post.

Great news Bill, all the positive vibes you've sent out are coming back. :) :) :)

18. raghorn

raghorn

Feb 23, 2002
    Great news Uncle! Prayers will continue.

19. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Great,great news. :)

20. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    Hooray! Glad you are feeling some better.

Steve