1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Grimsmo Norseman - Long term and sharpening

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by 4boysplus, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4boysplus

4boysplus Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Appreciate the input. Thanks.

2. 4boysplus

Sep 14, 2016
    The irony of your user name LOL

3. trackstar55

trackstar55 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I believe Apostle P has sharpened numerous ones. He free hands it with stones because he admits it’s tricky. But the far end I think he can use his machine with rods. He discussed it on videos and on YouTube comments that it took some practice but he is proficient at it now.

4. trackstar55

Sep 12, 2008
    You are a riot today. But can you be quiet? Lol

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. 4boysplus

Sep 14, 2016
    I will reference back to his videos. Thanks for the input.

6. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Nah, don't think so. I DO like the fact that the bottom has fallen out of the Grimsmo market, though. I remember when people were paying hilariously big cash for those, now pretty much anyone can get them.

WValtakis likes this.
  7. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Calling people "retards" when you can't sharpen a simple recurve LOL :)

Anyway, hopefully you've gotten some useful information.

WValtakis likes this.
  8. trackstar55

Sep 12, 2008
    Just curious. What’s your issue with the knife or the cult following it has? John is a super nice guy. Promptly responds to emails at weird times. His YouTube channel is interesting. There are plenty of not nice people making knives. He is at least kind and passionate. And he started from the ground up. He wasn’t handed anything in life that I’m aware of. He even has local high school kids from shop class come to his business as a field trip on what is possible.......tske a risk. Live the Dream.

fonedork likes this.
  9. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    I don't have any actual issues with the knife. Clearly, his fans love them. I don't, and mentioned in a jesting way some of my viewpoints of them, and some folks seem to have taken personal affront with it. I can't speak for others, but Me personally? People poking a little fun at things I own wouldn't bother me at all (shrug). And listen, you have to admit: peanut butterang is comedy gold. Norseman guy should patent that term.

Mistman68, Murphjd25, palonej and 3 others like this.
  10. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    In any case, given that the primary question OP posed has been answered, I think we're all good to go here.

trackstar55 and WValtakis like this.
  11. trackstar55

Sep 12, 2008
    I never thought about it I’m regards to peanut butter but it’s a good point. I might try it. And nothing wrong with a little humor. But there are times I’m ready for it. Other times depending on my mood.....I don’t want to hear it. How are you supposed to know it.

On a side note. I hate working as a cop and someone yells at me “he did it” as they point at their friend. Then yells....take him. He did it.

Or. “Can I use your taser” or “can you tase my friend”.

It’s not funny. Will never be funny. And if I have a penny everytime I was told that after 17 years. I could buy your house.

12. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    I suppose that's a good point. Honestly, the Norsemans...Norsemen? Norsemens! The Grimsmos I've held have been incredibly well made and slick. I just don't have much use for that particular blade shape. I am genuinely curious what use OP puts his to.

13. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Because it is the BF way. Some folks just have to make a thread about themselves, and then it becomes a sarcastic, snarky piss fest when someone gets butt hurt. Anymore, I think a thread that stays on topic for more than about 5 posts is a winner.

I have the Tangram Rumble, which is no doubt seriously influenced by chisel nosed knives like the Norseman. It is much lighter, thinner, smaller, not a frame lock, has thin G10 scales, is a liner lock, and close inspection will allow one to see that the blades are not much more than similar. But in regards to the sharpening question, the general blade shape isn't hard at all to sharpen if you are comfortable doing freehand sharpening. I use a 1200gr 12" diamond chef's rod, the same I use on just about all my knives. Sharpening this blade shape isn't a problem. But as noted above, some kind of freehand rod would be my choice.

I use it at work (construction), and the blade is really surprising with it's utility value. The recurve portion cuts very well for cutting rope, cordage, and for heavier cutting. The long tanto"ish" point makes a great sharp scraper, an excellent flat chisel, and is great for other chores that require a controlled slicing cut. I like it a lot more than I thought I would, and in fact, it is in my pocket now. I can easily get the knife sharp enough to cut my "V" cuts in my cigars. I actually bought this knife because I was fascinated with the blade shape and I am pretty pleased it has worked out so well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Mr.Wizard and trackstar55 like this.
  14. Gradle

Gradle

Apr 11, 2019
    I have #2362. Got it in May, I think. It's useful for quite a bit. If you like a recurve its hard to go wrong. I've sharpened mine already.. as I use it daily for just about everything.
    I use honing rods of various grits down to a leather strop/rod I made. Works great.

trackstar55 likes this.
  15. 4boysplus

Sep 14, 2016
    Great outlook!

16. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    They made a video once, showing it sharpened on the Wicked Edge...

... not as complicated as it looks... I’m sure any guided sharpener (or freehand) would do the trick... just have to pay attention to the transitions.

p.s. They later switched to a belt...

rexromic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.