1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Grinder Finishes ???

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Cushing H., Feb 25, 2020.

1. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    As I have played more with belt finishes, I have followed the comments of several here to bring the finish to something like a Gator A65, and then finish with a scotch bright belt.

But ... the more I do this, the more I find myself just liking the Gator A65 finish better than the scotchbright (more uniform ... just looks better).

Am I crazy? do any of you like the Gator finish better than the scotch bright? Is it worth sticking with the Gator, but going up to the next higher grit (A45, or A30)??

DustinY and Branson1369 like this.
  2. Jesse Latham

Jesse Latham

Jul 4, 2010
    I progress to a Gator A16 then use a 400g cork. I have scotch brights but they soften the lines and scratch the flats which are finished lengthwise above the bevels.

DustinY likes this.
  3. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I really like a Gator A45, sometimes I’ll ScotchBtire after that sometimes I won’t.

4. butcher_block

butcher_block

Dec 6, 2004
    load your scotch bright (blue) with black buffing compound its a 2 part win. it refines grit scratches faster and leaves a bit of the waxes on the blade(great for carbon steels that flash rust fast

Storm W, john april and Branson1369 like this.