1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you kind sir.

Attention @dc50 - Just a shout-out to you Dave! Your absence is deafening my friend and you are greatly missed. I hope your nest building is coming along well. Hurry back.

mitch4ging, dc50, JohnDF and 5 others like this.
  2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Yeah, where is you, Dave? Hope you get settled in quickly.

3. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    I was just thinking this, but you and Vince said it. @dc50 Yeah Dave, your presence is noticed and missed. Hope the move is going well. Looking forward to your return.

4. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hey Guardians, I hope you’re all having a great weekend!
    Thanks mate. Yes those walking poles are common here too. I’d kind of dismissed them as a fashion accessory for a certain tribe, like guys who wear camo gear in urban settings (no offence to anyone who does, just not my style is all). But after taking one of my ash hiking sticks out a few times, I’ve realised what an advantage a lightweight stick/pole is for good walking posture and stability on rough and hilly ground.

I’ve also had it in mind to experiment with tarps while camping, and the Hilleberg tarp is made to be used with a hiking pole or walking stick.

Very kind of you mate, regarding the straight razor. You see them here of course, but they’re less likely to be a fine old Sheffield make.

And I always like hearing of your travels.

Great ad image of the walker with pint, pipe and stick too. Hey Dylan @Pàdruig is that you?!!;):D:)

Any ad copy that references Shakespeare’s Richard III, gets bonus points from me as well!

Thanks for identifying the Amanita Muscaria mushrooms in answer to Brother John’s question too.

Thanks John, yes they’re the classic Smurf houses. They’re not native to Australia, but probably got here in the root balls of introduced birch or pine saplings.

They’re also known as a shamanic ‘shroom to some of the indigenous Northern peoples of Scandinavia and Siberia. They’re said to be ah, filtered through reindeer before consumption to induce visionary states.:eek:

Thank you kindly GT! I’m sure you’ll find it easy to envisage and create an isosceles triangle in cross section. Then just microbevel the apex lightly and you’re good to go, my friend. Good abrasives help, of course - I think I recollect you have a Norton India stone?

A razor sharp edge on a Lambsfoot blade considerably elevates the pleasure of using the pattern, IMO.

Thanks Dennis, yes I find the fungus kingdom fascinating myself, but I certainly understand your view is shared by many! The largest known living organism in the world is said to be a honey fungus which covers over 2 acres (mostly underground) in the Blue Mountains of Oregon.

I hope you’re feeling well, my friend.

Thank you Mark!:)

Harvey, your photos are a such a treat to take in. I relish seeing your pinup glamour shots of your steadily growing collection of lovely old Lambsfoot knives.

But please, don’t go sneaking any more of those old beauties out of Australia in future, my friend, LOL.;):D

Jack, my tin is a tinderbox, which currently has some Monterey Pine fatwood, birchbark, and European Ash shavings salvaged from my walking stick carving in it:

[​IMG]

It’s easy enough to use your Lambsfoot knife to make dry shavings for tinder at the drop of a hat, of course, but I just like the traditional practice of collecting tinder whenever opportunity affords. I think the old mountain folk in the US would place it in a possibles bag, close to their body, along with their tobacco pouch. As far as I can tell, the old Aussie bushmen called their version a dillybag, after the Aboriginal word for the same item.

Ouch, getting hit with a panelled mug must have been a painful experience. I won’t ask how the other bloke looked after the dust settled.;)

Reading the Scottish writer Irvine Welsh as a teenager, I was convinced that getting ‘glessed’ was some kind of British rite of passage! (I was going to include a clip from Trainspotting here, but the language would get me infracted in a hot second!)

I was talking to the publican in Mickey Bourke’s about some nice mugs he had just got in.

He mentioned how the popularity of the ubiquitous pint glass was simply due to their convenience in stacking when being collected and stored, rather than necessarily presenting good beer in the best glass.

A classic Doppelbock and some ebony:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    TFBraden, Old Engineer, dc50 and 12 others like this.
  6. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Just thinking the same. Hope everything is running smoothly!

Cutfinger, JohnDF, Jack Black and 3 others like this.
  7. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @Cambertree Thank you Chin. That was such a nice thing for you to say. It’s a pleasure to see the images of your travels, as well as to hear your thoughts on the care and feeding of the Lambsfoot. Especially because it comes from knowledgeable, first hand experience. I”ll do my best not to spirit away any more of those Lambsfoot treasures from Australia.:)

8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    It's a struggle GT! :eek: Nice Black 'n' Tan pairing my friend :) :thumbsup:

I'm glad it was OK Harvey, don't like to hear of shoddy goods leaving Yorkshire! :D I used to make my own, and it's easy enough. I used both treacle and golden syrup. The commercial versions are usually lighter and sweeter (bicarb and sugar). I'm sure there are plenty of recipes online if you ever fancy giving it a go :)

I've seen a photo of the stamped Barlow bolsters, and they look even better than I imagined :) I should have had them last week, but I think it will be about another fortnight I'm afraid - very frustratingly o_O

Incredible OG, even a photo is jaw-dropping :eek: :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Very nice indeed @smudge58 , welcome to The Guardians :thumbsup:

Fantastic Dennis, MY grandfather, an avid reader of Western novels, would have been very envious! :D Great that you have those :) :thumbsup:

Great pic of that fine-looking pair Ron :cool: :thumbsup:

Ouch! :eek: Sounds like you're keeping fit though GT :thumbsup:

Thanks GT, the pull on the pen is reasonable, about the same as on the main blade, though obviously, because of its greater length, the main blade is easier to open. It's only the pen on my Wright's two-blade that is a complete beast. I hope one day they'll wake up to the fact o_O

Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

The Porch has definitely got a lot busier than it was a few years ago. I'm just quoting posts a page at a time, in the hope (probably vain) that I'll spot any dropped ones :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks again GT :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :) No, that's been sad, particularly as Ashley did such a good job of repairing the damage caused by the BFO :mad: Lucy has stolen my heart, and my original '19 has been neglected as a result, despite its beauty :oops: :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Lovely pic of that beauty, nice to see one of the '17s :) :thumbsup:

Gorgeous Dwight :) :thumbsup:

I agree with John @AZCoyote , but this thread is for discussing the Lambsfoot pattern rather than the commercial process. There's another thread where that sort of discussion seems to be going on: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...lambfoot-thread.1658430/page-10#post-19001407

Me too, missing Dave, and hope the move is going OK :thumbsup:

TFBraden, mitch4ging, donn and 10 others like this.
  9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Awesome pic Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Always a treat when you post Chin, hope you're doing OK pal :) I think they ARE a fashion accessory for many, but on steep terrain a lightweight pole, or even better a pair, can really help, particularly when carrying a heavy load, and will take tons of weight off the knees going downhill. When I was growing up, mountaineers carried long axes, which doubled as a walking stick, and that was still the case among winter hillwalkers well into the 1990's. I was an early proponent of pairing ski-poles with a much shorter axe, which now seems to be more de rigeur. These days, I only ever use poles when there is thick snow on the ground, and I'm climbing steep terrain, preferring a wooden stick or staff for the low level walking old-age has largely confined me to ;) I've recently purchased a DD Superlight Tarp, but not had a chance to take it out yet :thumbsup:

I'm afraid my mate had sold the razor, but I see them fairly recently Chin :) You are one of several friends that I've been meaning to send a package to for months, but have had a very busy year with these pesky Lambsfoot knives :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks mate :D :thumbsup:

That's a great pic Chin, and a great use for your tin :) I do the same with choice tinder. I've heard the word dillybag used before :thumbsup: Hey, I watched a film about Ben Hall the other night, wouldn't say it was a great film though :thumbsup:

I'll tell you about it sometime :rolleyes: I think it might be a SCOTTISH rite of passage! :eek: That's a good point about the straight glasses, it's surprising how tall they can be stacked without the glass breaking :rolleyes: Not that I think it's a good idea, but I guess, if you work in a busy bar, it's something of a necessity :thumbsup:

Excellent pic, hope you enjoyed it my friend :) :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of my carry today, and my dillybag ;)

[​IMG]

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a great weekend, and that you all enjoy a peaceful and relaxing Sunday :) :thumbsup:

TFBraden, mitch4ging, donn and 12 others like this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    This is just a quick mock-up Wright's did to make sure the stamp looked OK on the steel Barlow bolster :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

TFBraden, Cutfinger, dc50 and 14 others like this.
  11. WDJ

WDJ Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 13, 2018
    That is a nice tang stamp.

mitch4ging, cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  12. WDJ

WDJ Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Bolster stamp!

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Yes, that's the bolster :D :thumbsup:

cigarrodog likes this.
  14. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Looking good! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  15. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Glad I had to get up early for work today and also glad I checked here to be greeted by that sweeeeet bolster stamp! Gonna be awesome!

16. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Incredible color in this pic Kevin. Beautiful.

Can't wait to see this.

Great shot of your BFO survivor. :)

Thank you sir.

Ah yes, the one-of-a-kind Yorkshire Rose.

Have a great Sunday all. IMG_2479.jpeg

17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Hope so Taylor, been working on this a long time now :) :thumbsup:

Me neither Dwight ;) Thank you very much, hope you have a great one too my friend, your DamLamb is looking gorgeous as ever :) :thumbsup:

18. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    @Cambertree Chin, thanks for sharing your seemingly limitless knowledge!

@Jack Black the bolster stamp looks great!

I’m carrying one knife now but will add another before church.

25923FAE-D909-4F3A-89FF-66912C27E7DA.jpeg

19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I miss his postings too. It was nice to see him "liking" some posts yesterday.

Ah yes, now I recognize them. :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

20. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I think it looks GREAT! :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup: