Guardless Warthog Pre-Order Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Osprey Knife & Tool' started by Osprey Knife & Tool, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Oyster

Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    ^ looks great! :thumbsup:

Is the picture deceiving or is there really such a difference in size between the two?

2. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    As promised...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Coach23

Coach23 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    @Oyster
    The pictures are a little deceiving, but the guardless warthog is definitely smaller (which I love). The biggest difference I've noticed between my two is the thinness of the handle on the Jade G-10 one. Even though the Toxic Glow Burlap one is commando, the jade g-10 warthog has a thinner handle and its taper is thinner as well (making it crazy light weight:D).

4. Oyster

Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    @Coach23 :

Is it feisty? Did it bite you?

(noticed the bandaid... :D)

Warrior108 likes this.
  5. Oyster

Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
  6. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Thanks. Here's one more... a family photo (Warthog, Apache K and Mamushi).

[​IMG]

7. Coach23

Dec 30, 2015
    @Oyster No doubt the Warthog is feisty:D, but it was another knife I was sharpening that bit meo_O

@RobbieB That sure is a nice family pic! All 3 are sweet:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oyster likes this.
  8. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you everyone who participated in the pre-order and to those that have continue to post in this thread keeping it alive during my absence, I appreciate it!

I see that some of you have received your knives already! I like the pictures and reactions I am seeing so far and it looks like their are some satisfied new Guardless Warthog owners out there.

I apologize I am late to the party as most of you guys are aware I took ill Tuesday evening with a bad case of food poisoning and stayed in bed until Friday afternoon. I spent yesterday regaining my bearings feeling like a zombie and catching up on some work.

I think the pre-order went pretty smoothly for a few exceptions. I would like to do another one, while not immediately definitely within a few months.
    I was able to stay organized and confusion on what went where and to who was at a minimum. I did like the aspect of making a batch of one single profile for a number of reasons. But that being said it's not something I would want to do all the time.

One thing I wish would have gone differently was being able to stick to my original time frame. As I make more knives in my new surrounding with my new equipment my efficiency will rise again, that coupled with a longer quote time and, or (possibly) having the blades ready for handles prior to taking the pre-order and deposit should cut down on the turnaround time and any unforeseen delays on my end.

The other part I would like to improve on is allowing myself time to be more involved with the thread as well as posting pictures. I think this circles back around to the previous solution and allowing myself more time to achieve the goals.

All that being said, I feel the Pre-order experiment was a success and a positive experience and I believe I would like to do a few of these a year maybe one every few months..

I hope the rest of you who have not received your knives do so soon and that they exceed your expectations. I look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing your thoughts on the knife itself and reading the dialogue between you guy's as you all compare and contrast.

P.S. Big thanks to Bud @joufuu for providing the sheaths, I got to admire them a little prior to shipping them out, I am always impressed with the cleanliness and quality of the work.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  9. Oyster

Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you, Chris!

I’m pretty sure I’m not speaking only for myself when I say that turnaround was a non-issue - esp. when compared to some other experiences I’ve had and, in particular, given that all of this occurred around major holidays and that yours is a one-man shop.

All I can say is: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Coach23

Dec 30, 2015
    @Osprey Knife & Tool
    Extremely happy you thought the pre-order was a success and plan on having more! I will definitely be looking forward to the next one and will hopefully be in again:thumbsup::thumbsup: I really enjoyed this one and love the guardless Warthog!!

Thanks Chris!

Oyster and Osprey Knife & Tool like this.
  11. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I think pre-making the blades is a good idea. Opening a thread and saying, "I've got 15 Mini Mamushi (for example) blades ready for handles, claim yours now" seems like a win-win. If by some chance, you don't have all 15 claimed, you have a blade you can put whatever handle you want on it and sell in a standard sales thread or send to a dealer.

Osprey Knife & Tool and Oyster like this.
  12. Oyster

Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    ^ This - except for the errant “Mini” that somehow managed to sneak in... ;)

Osprey Knife & Tool likes this.
  13. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Yes but how would you move my lanyard hole to be in THEEE correct location? LOL

PS I'm glad you're feeling better :thumbsup: and not so much like :poop: anymore

Again, thanks for your focus on customers .. in addition to the sharp things. :)

Osprey Knife & Tool and Oyster like this.
  14. Coach23

Dec 30, 2015
    SHHH! I thought that was supposed to be on the down low:D:D

Oyster likes this.
  15. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    After setting up the classroom for the next motorcycle class, the pigs heard there was a new Warthog around so they decided to pay him a visit.

Pig 1: Oh hey check out that hammered texture and grind on that.

Pig 2: You should see the taper from back here.

Pig 1: So where's the Warthog?

[​IMG]

schmittie, M4Super90, Coach23 and 5 others like this.
  16. Oyster

Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    Ok, so I’m supposed to leave on a trip with my gf tomorrow. We’ve both been working a lot and have had very little time together. Today, I had to work some and then run some errands. So, it’s past 11 PM and I haven’t packed a thing.
    But I did find time to attach a lanyard and to polish up the Warthog blade with some Flitz and wash it with some nice warm soapy water. Oh my, how those hammered flats shine in the light... just beautiful!!! :)

And I still can’t get over the texture of the micarta. Love it!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  17. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Got my bad boy today. I’ll get’r some use tomorrow and post up some pics here and Instagram.

BTW, mine’s the best looking one of all.

schmittie, bonafide, Oyster and 2 others like this.
  18. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Didn't get in on the pre-order, but fascinated with WIP threads. Very cool start to finish, especially the range of handles and colors picked by the lucky preorderers. Looking forward to watching and/or participating in the next one....

19. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Too busy to use my new Warthog but I did carry it today.

[​IMG]

20. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Choppaman, Kalsu, Coach23 and 5 others like this.