1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

H.I. Skean Dhu?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Ad Astra, Aug 19, 2004.

1. SASSAS

SASSAS

Aug 16, 2005
    I had one of these when I was younger. Funny, but it seems like I don't even see the knock-offs that much anymore...

2. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    [​IMG]

i had an image flash thru my head of a kami walking down the path to the sarki with a sock over his hand with a 2 lb. skean duhb in it. sarki says 'what the heck is that?' kami says 'i dunno, but thats the way they said they want to carry them.'

mebbe we should specify it is carried on the outside of the right leg, tucked into the rolled top of the sock.
    [​IMG]

3. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    he he he ...

You're absolutely right!

4. Leatherface

Leatherface

Dec 3, 2005
    Sarge that is some good work..

hmm...A leather scabbard for belt carry?? not a problem

you could prolly do one yourself for around $10-$15 or pay someone like me around $20 for it...

Spectre...The sharpfinger is still one of my all time favorites for a belt knife...Small enough that the local fuzz doesnt decide to "talk" to ya, and yet big enough to do some damage if need be...First knife sheath I ever made was for one

Anyone got any idea on the final price of one of these?? I got a bud that is big into the scottish games here in NC everyyear and he would dig having one to show off

5. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    mebbe we should specify it is carried on the outside of the right leg, tucked into the rolled top of the sock.QUOTE]

Darn it now I gotta learn a cross draw ! They must be some tough socks to hold up a two pound knife ! L:O:L

6. jmings

jmings

Aug 20, 2005
    Once again I learn that I have been mislead :eek:

http://mcdonaldcrafts.co.uk/skeandhu.htm
    http://www.tartantown.com/dress_skean_dhus.html
    http://www.sgian-dubhs.co.uk/Highland-Clans-Own-Sgian-Dubhs.html
    Leather covered wood with chapes no less.
    http://www.dunnoon.co.uk/scottish_kilts/scottish_kilts_skeandhus.php
    eBay

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    I'm so ashamed :barf:

Here's one I waiting for in the mail:[​IMG]

At least we aren't going for a kami made Highlander Katana:eek:

[​IMG]

7. dwatts67

dwatts67

Apr 3, 2003
    Oh the possibilities...
    those kamis come up with strange and wonderful things ;)
    cheers,
    Dave

8. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    Those Scottish socks that go with the kilt are 1/2" thick wool- you could probably carry a .45 in them.

Ad Astra :D

9. Astrodada

Astrodada

Sep 9, 2005
    1/2 inch thick ? :confused:

Maybe slip a katana in....:D

10. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    I,m a big fan of wool socks and wear them even in summer . I,ll have to go to a Scottich mens store and see if I can scare up a pair ! 1/2 inch thick ? Well if I wore a kilt I,d want thick socks as well !

11. Sylvrfalcn

Sylvrfalcn

Jun 4, 2002
    According to the post office, the sgian dubhs should arrive in Reno on Thursday, so the train has left the station. :thumbup: :D

Sarge

12. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002
    Thank you, very much, Sarge.

Now...the good thing about waiting is that the time just FLIES by.

Really decent of you to design and construct both the three prototypes and the sheathes.

Be well and safe.

13. Sylvrfalcn

Sylvrfalcn

Jun 4, 2002
    Uh Kis, no rest for the weary, "somebody" just sent me some more of them antique Johnson files, and an agricultural artifact that's really got me scratching my head. :D

Some of my buddies departed for Afghanistan this morning, at the usual time "oh dark thirty". I think I need a nap. :eek:

Folks, please keep them, and all our service men and women in your prayers. Your prayers are much needed and much appreciated.

Sarge

14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Great work Sarge. Thanks for doing the models.:thumbup:

15. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002
    I think:

Harrow
    The spike-tooth harrow is used to break up soil into even finer pieces after the farmer has plowed and disked the field. The harrow also helps level the soil for planting. Heavy stones are usually placed on the harrow to keep the spikes in the soil when unfavorable soil conditions exist.

Kevin?
    You made me curious, so I did a little searching:

Main Entry: 1har·row
    Pronunciation: 'har-(")O
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: Middle English harwen, from Old English hergian
    archaic : PILLAGE, PLUNDER

16. Astrodada

Astrodada

Sep 9, 2005
    So the skean dhu is a farmers' knife as well ? :eek:

17. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    I wonder if that is where the expression "It was a harrowing experience " came to be and if it the person survived to let us know or if it was an innocent bystander who coined the phrase ?

18. Sylvrfalcn

Sylvrfalcn

Jun 4, 2002
    Astro, I'm sure Scottish farmers probably did carry them back in the day, but what's actually going on here is a bit of cross conversation. Kis sent me a harrow blade, his way of keeping this retired dude busy scratching his head wondering what to make next. Right now I'm thinking it might make a couple of nice spear points, but that's just an off the cuff first impression. :D

Sarge

19. Astrodada

Astrodada

Sep 9, 2005
    spear points.....think that's the oldest man-made sharp weapons....

20. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998

OOH! OOH! I was just thinking last night that I really should get a yari. Let me know if you need a beta-tester. :D

John