Hacker and Whacker Knives

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Ole Joe Clark, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Ole Joe Clark

Ole Joe Clark

Oct 3, 2018
    Most of you guys have lots of really beautiful knives. I only have one that I have not sharpened, or carried (except maybe 2 times carefully wrapped in a paper towel), it's a Buck 505 if I remember correctly. Most of mine are "vintage" and used.

How about a working knife?? In other words, a hacker and/or a whacker. I have one, a Buck 285 Bantam. I put it in a pocket this morning, knowing I might actually use a knife for something useful. It's a cheap USA stamped knife with a nice sized blade and a edge that is not very nice, because I actually use it.

My everyday carry knife is a 340 Vantage, but I only use it sparingly. The blade is soft, sharpens easily and will slice a finger as easily as a apple. I show it, brag on it, but I don't seriously use it.

Am I the only one that does this? The only wear that most of the knives I see here is from polishing and picture taking.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

My Hacker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator

Apr 7, 2008
    [QUOTE="Ole Joe Clark, post:? The only wear that most of the knives I see here is from polishing and picture taking.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    Then you have missed many of my photos. DM
    My Hacker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Bloefield and gedlicks like this.
  3. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator

Apr 7, 2008
    Old Hunter shows his 118 in action many times. DM

TAH and jbmonkey like this.
  4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    15879107721543976333311839607612.jpg 20190818_094311_600x1066_480x852.jpg
    16096893739431106788492713309333.jpg

I see many folks post users here. David and OH from doing game cleaning and good old fashioned work tasks. @Lesknife has a botm marksman in 20cv missing the cerakote from working hard on the farm. I know as I've seen him post it before. many other examples.

here's a couple done lots of work and show the effects of it. I post these 3 often as they are favorites users.

wackafew, Bloefield, SOLEIL and 8 others like this.
  5. Ole Joe Clark

Ole Joe Clark

Oct 3, 2018
    David, your working knives have been the ones I have seen. Everything from dressing chickens to quail.

Generally speaking though, we all have safe queens, even my older knives I don't use anymore, I just look at them and see if they still cut paper. My hacker is used because I know if I damage it, no great loss, but my 301 or my "new" old 303, I would just about cry if I even dropped them.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

skypeace and David Martin like this.
  6. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    My two primary users are my 105 and 110, but I don't hack and whack with them, so even my using knives can come off looking like safe queens in photos with proper lighting hiding blemishes.

Lesknife likes this.
  7. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    were talkin folders...didnt realize that. I use this one for hard tasks....it cut up sugar cane last fall. that is a hard use task.....

I use it cause it can handle it and had it with me when I cut this piece down and started chopping it up and peeling it to chew. 20201107_133144.jpg

20201107_132759.jpg

8. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    [​IMG]

@jbmonkey - I remember this "Special" knife. :)

9. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    I use an old 110 I got a garage sale. Tip was damaged and scales were in sad shape. I reshaped the tip into a drop point, and replaced the scales.

bucksway and jbmonkey like this.
  10. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    yes Sir. Mike did the patina on it. it was a blem. besides the knot there in the handle...the blade bevels were ground offset. I just put it to working and let it stain and get uglier. great knife been a good user. the 5160 holds up to about anything.

11. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    My everyday carry is also a 285 Bantam. I don’t whack or hack much with it, it’s a good all round knife tho. The blade has a slight divot from sharpening on a Work Sharp, the thumb knob moved the belt out of line. [​IMG]

Bloefield and pjsjr like this.
  12. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    If it wasn't for that unique knot, I wouldn't have remembered it. :thumbsup:

skypeace and jbmonkey like this.
  13. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Well I can appreciate those who collect knives and keep them pristine and that’s alright. But I have a hard time understanding why a knife with upgrade steel like S35vn or similar, tough, durable handle materials, would be left in a display or safe never to be used. To me they were designed for hard work and keep an edge a long time. How does that work when they’re in a safe? Why not get a low grade steel cause they aren’t going to cut anything unless it’s someone just looking at it and leave the higher grade steels and materials for those that need and use them?

Old Biker, skypeace and jbmonkey like this.
  14. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    You know them are logical thoughts...where do you think that will get you in this day and age?;)

15. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I have a single 110 that I've carried less than a dozen times. I vowed when I got it that I would give it a fair chance; and I don't think I did that. Too heavy for pocket carry, and I couldn't get used to it on my belt (I carry a fixed blade; so I couldn't find a place that was convenient and accessible), and a 112 that has suffered the same fate. I sometimes carry a 503, 74, or 055; though they don't see much use because they feel so small in hand (and because I don't need to use a knife much in my day to day).
    As I've posted numerous times, the 501 is my favorite; and I've got a handful: Dec 20 BOTM, DLT exclusive S35VN/green just, SK Goodfella, and a couple old scripts - a three pin and a two pin. I carry a 501 pretty consistently - probably 300 days/year - which still surprises me, considering how much I enjoyed some of my slipjoints. The funny thing is, the BOTM, which I've had for all of two months, is the most beat up looking (the 3 pin script has the most sharpened blade). I tried to get a picture that showed the scuffs, dings, and dimples on the 501s; but bolsters showed too much reflection.

Lesknife likes this.
  16. Makael

Makael Books temporarily closed on sheath orders. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    A
    A nylon sheath carried horizontally fixes the weight issue. Disappears on the waist.

17. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    The standard issue sheath resolved the weight issue, too...but I didn't force myself to wear it long enough to get used to reaching for it. When I need to use a knife, my hands automatically go either to a pocket or to my fixed blade. I suppose if I were to only carry the 110, it wouldn't take long...but that isn't an appealing idea to me.

18. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    It took me some getting used to the belt carry after my first 110. Before that I mostly carried a stockman and out hunting, fishing or camping I would strap on a fixed blade for a short time afield. But then in the mid 90s at work we were required to carry some tools and gadgets on our belt or a Fanny pack, and a flip phone so I got used to stuff hanging on my belt. The only difference now is I carry a stockman and a vantage pro at work and sometimes a 110 LT. Weekends I carry a 830 marksman and my 303. If I’m out camping or hunting I’m likely to have 3-4 different knives. Lol

afishhunter likes this.
  19. Ole Joe Clark

Ole Joe Clark

Oct 3, 2018
    I really like the 501's too, I have a script bladed one with the impregnated wood scales. I want to get the script one with the red phenolic scales, so it will match my wife's 501 that I bought her in the 1970's. But I won't carry one of those very much, since I have gotten old, I would probably lose it.
    Will probably just try to find one used in decent shape and go from there.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Lesknife likes this.