1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

handle inquiry for vector001?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by demoteamone, Jun 23, 2010.

1. demoteamone

demoteamone Banned BANNED

Feb 21, 2006
    Vec, do you know if this handle will works on the eco hawk? Do you have Similar ideas for the eco hawk?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vector001

vector001

Aug 4, 2007
    my buddies actually designed that one.

the handle is just (high quality) squashed steel tube - not sure what the alloy type is, but it is the same as went on the Hoffman Hawkin Stick IIRC.

the ECO can go on anything with a 3/16" clearance - sorry to be late on the YouTube videos on the hafting subject, i've been having babies this week. (Kate was born on Fathers Day).

i'd just find a nice piece of wood that i liked and mill a slot in the top (or mill a flat spot on the side.) and drive a 1/4" screw or nail through one or two of the provided slots and holes.

add cordage and maybe a seat with some Marine Weld, etc. and you can have a damn good handle pretty darn quickly.

those attachment measures might seem a little crude to some here, but ECOs were designed to be field serviceable, so their minimalist nature is part of its intent.

thanks for asking.

if i didn't have so much composites around, i'd go get a nice long axe handle and watch some manly-man movies while i shaved it down to a nice poll hawk haft for the ECO... maybe put a reinforced hole in the butt that could accept a hammer chisel... let your imagination go nuts ...that's my favorite part to the ECOs.

i really want to make sort of a mace/aztec fighting stick with a pair of ECOs - they are designed to be mounted along the spine as well as through the waist, after all. - i really want to develop some "just for me" stuff too, like using an ECO in harpoon mode on tuna or white sea bass when i am out spearfishing - i think that could be good....

i will probably have an inexpensive composite handle for the ECO shortly, i've just been swamped making some long term decisions about the humble Hawk Project and got delayed a little - i'm trying to avoid painting myself in a corner.

i'll make sure and announce when we make the ECO hafts, and most folks who have bought one will probably get an e-mail from Saint Erica for a heads-up.

although i think that the ECO hafts will be welcomed, i think it is important that folks really bang away and do their own thing on the ECOs - it's a Thinking Man's Tool - once you get in that "I can just do it myself" form of reflexive improvisation, you will be a lot happier in the wilderness IMHO.

damn, i said "wilderness" - now i am jonesing to put a shaft through a bird....

lookwhatyadid.

:cool::thumbup:

vec

3. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Vec - congrats on the new family member!

4. vector001

vector001

Aug 4, 2007
    many thanks, brother!

The Kate is a good'n. - i look forward to spearfishing and wilderness camping with her for years to come.

vec

5. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    happy father's day to you. congrats on the little un'

6. fishshooter

fishshooter

Mar 29, 2006
    Bring her up right Vec!! Congratulations!!!!:thumbup:

7. demoteamone

demoteamone Banned BANNED

Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  8. vector001

vector001

Aug 4, 2007

yeah, well, that's the reality of manufacturing; - i happen to be a classically-trained sculptor and watercolor photo-realist, but you wouldn't know it by looking at my website.

there just isn't enough time to do things optimumly, if you want to make money in this vicious business.

i thought you'd like some insight.

HTH.

*edited to add - the ECO just went up on the New Items Section of TOPS' website, so maybe this other tool is up now too, just as we speak.

vec