1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hanshee kukri

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by gurkha berserka, Sep 4, 2014.

1. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Welcome back Bookie! Did ya git enuff root beer?

2. CubeLW

CubeLW

Jul 16, 2014
    Am I the only one that feels that the Hanshee is what the Nepali grim reaper would use? The curve just screams "Abandon all hope" .

3. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    I suppose a better way of phrasing the question would be if I were looking for another kukri and my top priority was to get the best fighter, would I be better served by the Hanshee or another? I can understand that the hanshee is most practically used as a fighter, but I'm curious if there is a better fighting kukri.

4. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    That's a difficult nearly impossible question Scara. If your not trained like most of us you may go for any move that seems like it might work. A stabbing move would not go well with a hanshe, where as a kobra or a gelbu or siru being slightly straighter might pull off a stab.

The big plus to my untrained eye and I believe the strong point of the design is the hook shape. If you swing it it's gonna want to grab the assailant, if he tries to pull away or back up he'd gonna get a serious draw cut and the blade doesn't want to let him go.

There's a million variables, length is another. How long is too long?

I'm not trained in knife or sword fighting and much to late in the game to seek it nor would I. I'm a gun guy who loves knives so I'll leave the fighting to my 1911 and have fun with the hanshe.

5. christcl

christcl

Apr 13, 2004
    I'll take my Hanshee over M43 as a backup defense blade, but I prefer the M43 as a backpacking/outdoors knife.

[​IMG]

6. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    A thread about a hanshee-like Bura Boomerang:

7. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Scara - I think the important question, is even if the hanshee is more for fighting, would you be able to use it? In what context are you thinking of, house hallway, or a room, garage, backyard, a yard, outside, in the street, in a field, etc...

For home defense, I of course prefer my Sig 226, but as far as knives go, I have my 18" Bashpati, or the Suga, or the Trisul. All of which I am proficient with in a home defense situation. In an open field situation, I am most proficient with my Tibetan Longsword, or my Wu Jian, I could probably go toe to toe with someone who even had a tarwar, katana, or hanshee. The others may be bigger, thicker, and even stronger than my 2 straight swords, but I am extremely proficient in my particular martial art with those 2 swords, and it's knowing when to deflect, parry, and misdirect, before attempting to attack, that will usually decide the outcome.

Weapons are generally secondary, and ones mindset and knowledge is first and foremost, the most important.

That's my 2 cents.

8. christcl

christcl

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm certainly most of us have some martial arts training that maybe translatable to a hanshee in a jiffy.

I'll stick to my Benelli M4 or Sig SP2022 as my home defense weapon if possible and needed.

9. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    Most definately, any martial art can be adapted to utilize any kind of weapon, question is, how comfortable, and efficient can one be when wielding that weapon?

10. christcl

christcl

Apr 13, 2004
    I received Iaido and then Iai-kenpo training when I was younger. Some of the principles of cutting with a long sword, wakizashi, or tanto as well as foot work and distance are very translatable, however I would be outmatched by someone faster and with a more dynamic style like Escrima.

Hence, gundo is my martial art now haha.

11. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    for home defense the best knife , is the one that goes..BANG!!

12. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    lol...me too.

Too old to really train effectively now, but I do teach, and I'll admit there are one or two of the older students who have the potential to surpass my skills, I may need to send them to a classmate of mine for further training soon, if they would like to pursue higher training.

13. christcl

christcl

Apr 13, 2004
    What martial art do you teach?

I notice you are in CA too, I'm of the Calguns state of mind that it looks less questionable to the police here to use a handgun than cut someone up with a big knife in home defense.

14. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    Choy Li Fut for 36 years now.

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, I was driving.

I practiced under Larry Young, who learned from Grandmaster Lau Bun. Larry's classmate is Grandmaster Doc Fai Wong of the Choy Li Fut Plum Blossom Federation his son Jason is my classmate, and he went to school with my brother. Jason is much more proficient than I, and I may need to send a couple of my students to him.

I do not have a formal school. I just teach friends, and friends children, in my backyard at home. I don't have the time or patience to actually run a martial arts school. I'm actually operating the way Grandmaster Lau Bun did, by teaching those interested in an informal setting.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  15. christcl

christcl

Apr 13, 2004
    I understand perfectly.

I'm learning Gao Ying style Chinese archery from my friend Justin Ma in a similar non-formal manner. He is proponent of the style and owner of Cinnabar bows based in the Bay Area.

16. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    That's very cool. Best way to learn I think, is the informal way, because some of the best students learned it the ancient way.