1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hardness Tester Advice

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by daizee, Jun 16, 2019.

1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I spotted this hardness tester at a local antique dealer, but he wasn't around this afternoon so I took his card.
    Can anyone tell me anything about this thing, these models, etc.? Would this be a item to pursue? Any obvious ways to check if it's in working order before I call the guy?

Thanks!

-E

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Well, of course you can check if the diamond indenter is installed on it for "C" scale... and look around for anything obviously broken. Beyond that I'd be trying to Google any product literature available to see if I could fire the thing up and do a test. You could bring a blade or sample of known RC hardness, or at least a file, to test and see if it's in the ball park. Make sure that if there's an oil reservoir in the rear, that it's filled as necessary with the right oil (I just run SAE 30 hydraulic oil in mine.)

3. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Thanks, Salem, that gives me several things to look for. I doubt the guy has additional parts for it, but at least that gives me an idea what to ask.
    All the manuals I've found online so far refer to modern units with wifi or ethernet. :confused:

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    If there isn't a box with the anvils, the unit is close to useless. The anvils are sets of round and other shaped plates that fit on top of the ram. The box they are in usually has extra diamond indenters and certified test blocks. If there is no box of accessories offer $$100. If it has the anvils and you can test it out to verify it is working, it may be a great deal. Start at $300 and see where he wants to go. I think $500-800 in accurate running shape and with all accessories is a good deal.

Here is some help:
    http://endustriyelolcumcihazlari.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/automatic_digi_25r.pdf
    The accessory box is at the bottom of this page.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It looks to be a galileo hardness tester. You should be able to find a manual somewhere

6. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Thanks for the ballpark figures, Stacy. I was going to call the guy today, but got consumed by the shop instead. Not that I'm complaining.