Hardside luggage advice needed

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Joss, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Joss

Joss Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2001
    All,

I need a new piece of registered (not carry on) luggage / travel case. My previous case is a huge upright soft-sided Samsonite, that has served me well but is finally dying.

I am now convinced that I need something hard sided, to protect my stuff from the sharp corners of other cases and the loving attention of baggage handlers across the world.

I am a hobbyist photographer and scubadiver, and will likely carry some fragile and/or awkward equipment regularly (though the camera & lenses will be carried on board).

I am looking at the (expensive) Samsonite Silhouette cases:
    http://us.samsonite.com/webapp/us/s...View?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=219695
    or
    http://us.samsonite.com/webapp/us/s...View?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=219686

I am also looking at the Pelican cases, most notably:
    http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1560
    http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1600

I like the fact that both the Samsonite and the Pelican are available in flashy colors. Sometimes, that makes it easy to pick your case among many.

Obviously, the Pelicans are basically impossible to kill, which is good. They're also significantly cheaper than the Samsonite. On the other hand, the 1560 is 18Lbs without the foam - this is a big piece of a max allotment of 50Lbs (for domestic flights).

I am not again buying 2 smaller cases, I'd like to hear from other expert travelers...

Thanks!

2. Gollnick

Gollnick Musical Director

Mar 22, 1999
    I got fed up with bagage damage and went out and bought an Anvil case (makes Pelican look whimpy). The thing weighs about 30lbs empty. I don't care about lugging; I'm a pretty strong guy. But, I got sick and tired of paying $50-75 in excess baggage fees each way when my bag went over fifty pounds. The airlines have really cracked down on that lately.

3. Gollnick

Gollnick Musical Director

Mar 22, 1999
    The two Pelicans you've suggested are significantly smaller than the Samsonites. I don't think either Pelican is really a suitcase, more overnight bag, especially if you want to transport diving gear or pro photo gear (tripods, lights, etc.)

4. cockroachfarm

cockroachfarm

Jan 6, 2001
    I have quite a few Pelican cases for toting equipment, but for personal effects like clothes, etc. I still like hard cases from the Zero Halliburton line. For soft-siders, Filson.

5. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    My Samsonite hardcase has travelled with me for the last 7 or 8 years, after literally trashing a number of soft-shell bags. It has been all over the world (France, Germany, Italy, and India this year alone) and although it looks beat up on the outside (as will any luggage that gets checked regularly), I have had no issues with it from a functionality standpoint. The wheels are still solid and tracking straight, the pull-out handle has not loosened, and the locks still keep it closed.

Chuck's comment about weight is a good one - I have (luckily) talked my way out of the excess weight charge a couple of times (I was only over by a few pounds), as the suitcase weighs around 20 lbs by itself. For a 4 week trip overseas it can be tough to stay under 50lbs...

6. Joss

Nov 20, 2001

You're correct, of course. The 1630 is more like it, but it is about 30Lbs empty... Hmm...

7. Joss

Nov 20, 2001
    Hmm... The largest one is still smaller than the Samsonite and is $1,100 MSRP. I don't think so (nice looking cases though!).

8. cockroachfarm

cockroachfarm

Jan 6, 2001
    Yea, they're a bit pricier than the plastic bags from Albertson's. ;) But worth every dime. Even old, beat-up ones are still selling on eBay for big bucks.

I have an entertainer friend in Vegas whose personal luggage consists of 48 of the largest ZH cases available. :eek:

9. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Zero Haliburton cases are expensive and worth every penny. If 12 years as a professional airline pilot in South America can't kill the darn thing, I don't know what will. Dad gave one cabbie in South America credit, he managed to punch a hole in his briefcase with great effort using the trunk lid as leverage. He brought home, heli-arc'ed the hole closed and used for years after that. Yes, it looks a little rough but, now I won't cry when it hits the concrete or tarmac hard because one more battle scar will never be noticed.

If you are flying to Europe, watch the weight and size restrictions. That's the profit center of airlines these days with cheap tickets.