1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Has anybody modded a BAD to make the choil bigger?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Macchina, Oct 6, 2009.

1. DowntownDM

DowntownDM Banned BANNED

May 11, 2007
    sweet meaner...

:thumbup:

2. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    IIRC, it was 0.22".
    IMHO :barf:

Some of us are with you. brother. It's not all chubby chasers here. :rolleyes: Hell, I'm still waiting for the Anorexic GW. :D

Koyote makes skinny knives....

3. PeterPHWS

PeterPHWS

Dec 31, 2005
    Great work Defaultuser:thumbup: I am guessing you used a drum sander for the choil and a grind disc for the rear pommel?

4. defaultuser

defaultuser

May 3, 2006
    Yep. Used a dremel as well just to finish the choil area, at low speed.

5. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Well gee, Guy, what are you waiting for?? Don't let us keep you from buying them. :yawn:

And BTW, the HACK Warden is a pretty handly little slicer, sorry that it makes you :barf:, but I love that knife.

defaultuser, every time I see that modded Meaner, it makes me smile! Nice work on that. :D:thumbup:

6. MustardMan

MustardMan

Mar 14, 2009
    Add me to the non-chubby-chasers crowd. I like my gals thin and sexy :D :thumbup:

I've got enough chubby on my bones for two people - don't need my knives chubby too :eek::foot:

7. upsidedownviking

upsidedownviking

Aug 22, 2009
    :thumbup: On the anorexic GW....

Baby blue crinkle coat with pink and black G-10

Great X-Mas present for the girlfriend!!! :D:D

8. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Huh???? :eek: O...M...G! LOL :D

9. sleevefullofaces

sleevefullofaces

May 29, 2009
    I've heard chubby knives make you look slimmer though.:D

10. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    I like the hack-style talon hole removal. Makes a weird looking Busse, but I'd rather not sacrifice the edge length, especially on an AD or GW.

11. ThunderUnderKilt

ThunderUnderKilt

Dec 28, 2006
    michaelmcgo, I don't know about "good" looking, but thanks anyway :) I think I was channeling GrindDucci when I made the mod ;)

As far as the feel goes, in my hands, I like the modified AD more than the original. However, the large choil without a guard wouldn't be my first choice. I've cut myself a few times already when I was choked up, which is really the only practical way for me to hold it. This might be less of a problem if I were to make the choil even larger. But as I said, I like the modified AD better, and the reason is that it gives my hand more handle to grip.

When I first started using the unmodified AD, I noticed my pinky would start cramping up because there wasn't anywhere to hang on comfortably. I thought that if I removed the rear talon hole, my problem would be solved. That was better, but after using it some more, I decided I just need another 1/2 inch of handle. My solution was to then remove the front talon hole. For the most part, that solved my problem. But then I wondered if I should have removed the rear talon hole in the first place.

If I were to do it again, I'd remove the front talon hole first, see how the handle felt, and THEN decide if I really wanted to remove the rear talon hole.

DWRW, I Like it!!!

defaultuser, that looks great too. I think with the longer blade on the meaner, the enlarged choil in front of the talon hole is a good trade off between handle length and protection. The smooth scales really sells it to me. I've been thinking about doing the same to mine.