1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Has GEC pricing or shipping costs changed lately

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by rdave, Jun 16, 2020.

1. rdave

rdave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    I was finally able to order a #23 from the new GEC run. They look great and I really wanted one. When I got the paypal bill I went ahead and paid up, no questions asked as usual.

I received in-stock notifications from various dealers and I noticed the price for the same knife was lower so I dug in a little more and I see now that a shipping charge is being added to the total charge. And I see some dealers charge for shipping now and at least one dealer does not. And I see the cost of shipping varies from dealer to dealer.

Did I miss something? The price GEC charged for a knife in the past included shipping charges - or the "advertised" price included shipping and now shipping charges are additional. And now it seems the pricing is different as shipping charges are added on at most dealers.

Was there some notification or announcement about the change? The dealer I bought the knife from never mentioned the change - or maybe I have just completely missed it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Byron Bowling likes this.
  2. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    The retailer sets the price, not GEC. Generally, there was always enough competition among them that prices were fairly consistent, but there has never been a set price that included shipping.

mrknife likes this.
  3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I have not experienced this but I think I understand what you are asking.

I don't have a definitive answer but if dealers who didn't used to charge shipping for GEC knives are charging shipping now, I would guess that it's because GEC knives have soared in popularity and they no longer need free shipping as an incentive to buy them. To be honest, I'm surprised the free shipping has lasted this long.

Many dealers offer free shipping for any purchase over $99 which would cover many GEC knives.

Whatever the case may be, I appreciate the heads up as I did not know about this.

4. rdave

Nov 13, 2013
    right - each dealer is charging the same price for the same knife as usual but when I go to check out shipping charges are added - that's new - the advertised price always included shipping - it amounts to about a 7% increase in the price of a GEC knife... Well ok, my choice to buy it but where is the notification or announcement?

5. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Idk. The dealer I buy from has always charged me shipping. I don't buy alot of knives from dealers anymore, but when I did, some charged shipping, some didn't. The dealer that always "ships knives for free", was higher priced. Maybe times have changed and they all started selling for the same price and not charging shipping, but I don't think that was mandated by GEC. If your favorite dealer started adding shipping, give him a call an ask why. Again, maybe times have changed, but all the dealers I bought from used to be great fellas and communicated openly with me.

mrknife and Norcaldude like this.
  6. Jordan@DLT

[email protected] Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jul 22, 2014
    Shipping was never included in GEC's pricing. Your dealer may have had free shipping either on GEC as a brand, or over a certain dollar value and one of those things has since changed. GEC itself has nothing to do with an individual dealer's shipping costs, or their policies however. For example, we offer free shipping over $99, so some GEC's get free shipping from us and some do not qualify.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    sbh06, r8shell, rdave and 1 other person like this.
  7. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Shipping charges vary from dealer to dealer and can change at any time. Nothing ti do with GEC or any other maker. Some offer free shipping specials that vary as well week to week if you buy over certain amounts, some throw in extras like a free slip, etc

rdave likes this.
  8. rdave

Nov 13, 2013
    good - that helps. thank you - Seemingly the "advertised" price for a GEC knife included shipping in my experience - maybe more dealers are now charging for shipping (?) Thanks again for the explanation in the ground rules. Much appreciated.

9. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    To answer the OP's question with my opinion: I think free shipping at DSR (GEC's MAPP) prices was good enough for most dealers. But there are those that carry mostly MAPP controlled products because they have become accustomed to that type of margin. So, since GEC has a significantly lower margin than most other modern brands - they have decided to pinch out that last little bit of margin by going back to charging for shipping. Or some ship for free, but bump the price; and many ship in an envelope (which is faster to package but no cheaper on postage). Shipping has gotten more expensive; so that may be the justification. Personally I went from exclusively shipping Priority Box to shipping First Class Box with available upgrades. I have to buy the boxes; but typically Priority is one day slower than Express; and First Class is one day slower than Priority. First Class now costs nearly half of Priority. Things are currently a bit less consistent but many times First gets there the same day as Priority.

At the lower price points free shipping gets a bit tricky as well. For example, let's say dealer price on a bullnose is $40. Shipping (1st Class) is $5, finance charges are at least $1.50; rewards are $2.00. So, if your time counts for nothing; at a $55 selling price there is $6 +/- in a sale. Most have several employees; it is harder to convince them to work for free than it is family....

btb01, mrknife, HEMI 49 and 2 others like this.