1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hats & Knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MrVandercar, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Love seeing your photos @Horsewright! My friend lost his cabin on 40 acres in the Tehachapi mountain fire, about 10 years ago. I sure miss going up there.

Lansky1 likes this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    We were heading off to a basketball tournament for our daughter over at Cuesta College. Bout made it to Hwy 46 and I 5 and we started getting phone calls. We came back and we're surrounded on all sides by fire but by some distance. We were fine. Had some relatives lose some cattle. Your friend's place up in the Old West area? Lots of folks lost places up there. Thanks.

3. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Yes, that fire was devastating. Not sure if it was considered Old West, but we would enter through the gate at Oak Creek Road/Willow Springs, past the wild horses, and their cabin was about 8 mile up around Covington Mtn.

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Oh yeah, know that area the back side of Tehachapi mountain. The cattle lost were on the other side. Use to rope them wild horses years ago. Knew an old guy that would drive em down to Mojave and load em into train cars there back in the 1920s.

bax229 likes this.
  5. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Really enjoy your posts. I love seeing your country and rural settings. I have some friends who used to be racehorse trainers and some still are in the horse industry, and i use to help them around the stables, so i have an interest in horses and people who rely on them, such as yourself. I am house sitting for my brother in law in rural Victoria at the moment, i get out of the city when ever i can, i love being in the bush, and your farm looks magnificent. Keep the photos coming.

Horsewright and Mayonardo like this.
  6. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    @Horsewright This is a photo{ sorry it is not very good, took it off a paper} of a Wagyu farm for sale in the North-East of the state where i live. Around $14 mill. do not know how many acres. The reason i am posting is, i used to have a bush shack at the base of the hills in the back ground. Myself and a mate did a lot of deer hunting up there. Beautiful country, with good yearly rainfall.
    [​IMG]

7. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Thanks, the Akubra Adventura Hat looks right up my street! Finally a fedora with an outdoor look and a wide enough brim.

cudgee and scrteened porch like this.
  8. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Good deal I had a couple years ago, good hats.

Pomsbz likes this.
  9. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011

Pretty country.

10. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Really glad you found a hat. Make sure you post a pic when you receive it.:thumbsup:

Pomsbz likes this.
  11. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    @Pomsbz Just looked up the Adventurer hat. I remember these hats, they are the Akubra version of the hat that i have that you liked. You have chosen well my friend, i can guarantee you will be happy with your purchase. Do not forget to post a pic. ;)

Pomsbz likes this.
  12. JOELSM

JOELSM

Aug 30, 2007
    Rains back...oilskin put back into service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

zolthar, knowtracks, Dschal and 5 others like this.
  13. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Great hats.:thumbsup: Oilskin is one of the great inventions. An oilskin coat is a must in anyone's wardrobe that spends a lot of time outside.:cool:

JOELSM likes this.
  14. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Heck yeah! Dang cold that morning. More than coffee in that cup for sure.

[​IMG]

15. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    WAY TO GO.:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

16. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    31CF1028-BF4A-4746-BDEE-1142CF798038.jpeg

Well that little bird is wearing a hat. My Case Texas Jack in CV. Something about the simplicity makes this a great little EDC. Wish I could find another in stainless in a different colour bone.

,,,Mike in Canada

17. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    GEC #29 Stockyard with Boonie Cap
    [​IMG]

18. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I don’t think I can match a Yorkshire mariachi, but I can do a Pennsylvania cowboy. :D

[​IMG]

WHT, peanutsxx, Prester John and 6 others like this.
  19. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Brothers from another mother! :thumbsup: :D

Prester John and mitch4ging like this.
  20. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    How about a proper English gentleman? :D

[​IMG]