1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Having a hard time deciding on my next EDC, please help...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by gillmanjr, May 13, 2019.

1. gillmanjr

gillmanjr

Jul 27, 2017
    Another knife that just caught my eye is the James Brand "The Folsom" knife. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I am really digging it...

[​IMG]

2. marco g mendoza

marco g mendoza Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2019
    I am leaning towards the Bugout as well. A mini grip is what I use due to the shorter blade length but I prefer the larger size of the Bugout in my hands

Pilar is nice as well but may be too small. If you decide on the Pilar bladehq has the version with D2 steel. I was contemplating that but felt it too small

I like the look of the kershaw link 1776 but then again it’s like a ZT which you said you don’t prefer. The link is a 420hc blade. I was contemplating getting one from kershawguy for a beater knife.

Let us know what you decide.

3. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    right,but it's more than that. Thickness behind the edge matters even more. As well as the geometry behind that and how gradually it moves up based on the thickness of the blade.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    This has been my experience with the Civivi knives as well. I've had a few apart for inspection now. The fit and finish is top notch. They easily compete with knives that cost twice as much, or more. The Naja has slowly taken over as my "casual" EDC. It's a wonderful slicer and carries quite well for a larger knife. I sometimes carry the Coarser when I'm dressed up a little more and it draws a lot of compliments for a knife that only costs $68.

Benchmade makes a quality product but not really mind-blowing for the price. Recent revelations about their political activity prevents me from recommending them but we can't discuss the particulars here. (Political discussion is not allowed in this section of the forum.)

5. gillmanjr

gillmanjr

Jul 27, 2017
    You are referring to the edge grind. The Pilar has a high sabre grind, I did some research on it. I would bet its probably a better slicer than you think. Anyway I'm going to find out because I just pulled the trigger on one. I actually went with the BHQ exclusive version with the D2 steel and carbon fiber scales. Should have it in a couple days. EDIT: I just watched a review video on youtube about the BHQ version of this knife and, according to the reviewer, it is actually thinner behind the edge than the original so the BHQ version is apparently a better slicer for that reason on top of it being better steel.

About the Civivi knives: I wouldn't buy a Chinese brand unless I saw one that I absolutely love and must have. Given how many knives are on my list to own right now, that will probably never happen.

6. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp The Looking Edge Sharpening Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 30, 2016
    There's the edge bevel: the angle at which the edge is actually sharpened, and the primary bevel: the angle at which the blade itself is ground. At some point the primary bevel terminates into the edge bevel. The thickness at that point, the thickness behind the edge, is what he's referring to. It plays a very large part in determining how well a knife slices.

Something like an Opinel #8, which is extremely thin behind the edge, sharpened at a fairly steep angle like 25dps will still slice through thick material better than a Medford Praetorian sharpened at a much shallower 15dps. This is because the Medford is much thicker behind the edge. Because the edge is more acute it may initiate the cut with greater ease, but will then have to displace far more material as you push into the cut creating more and more resistance or friction.

Geometry is king when it comes to performance. Thickness behind the edge seems largely overlooked by manufacturers, but is one if the more important factors in slicing performance. That's not to say there's no reason to buy a thicker blade though; it won't slice at all if it snaps in half during use.

Dadpool, Hackenslash and Mo2 like this.
  7. js1badsti

js1badsti Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    if you want a good slicing sheepsfoot look at steel will modus

8. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Cold Steel American Lawman, or Recon 1 if you want something bigger.

9. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Jstn beat me to the reply.
    I ve read the whole thread thinking that the knife that compares to your PM2 is the Cold Steel American Lawman. Compact but very sturdy, and slices well. Good ergonomics and good f and f.
    This knife is so good, it changed my mind about black coated blades. The dlc finish on the Lawman blade is excellent. And strangely enough, the black blade draws less attention from bystanders than a shiny satin blade.
    At 95.00 it s a bargain.
    Of the three knives in your current edc rotation that I ve carried and used, only one compares to the AL.

10. gillmanjr

gillmanjr

Jul 27, 2017
    Does anyone own the Kizer Domin or Domin mini? This is another knife that has caught my eye in the last few days that I am really into. I've added it to my list and this one very well may be the next purchase I make (probably the mini in blue)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Bugout
    I got it to understand all the hype around this knife and I have been convinced
    It has many flaws but the slim profile, light weight and deep pocket clip make it a very interesting EDC
    I am not a fan of the axis lock - I think I am neutral - but really it works fine for this kind of light blade

12. Earl1

Earl1 Basic Member Basic Member

May 11, 2016
    I really like the link as well as the dividend,the only thimg about the link is its thick in pocket

13. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    I don't like the Link. I really can't put my finger on why. It just doesn't feel right in my hand.

The Dividend is another story. It's a nice little knife. It feels good and carries quite well. My two complaints were the steel and the clip. Now you can get it in S35VN or M390 for under a hundred bucks. I called Kershaw about the clip and they sent me a deep-carry loop-over free of charge. Takes care of that! :D

14. gillmanjr

gillmanjr

Jul 27, 2017
    I don't know if you guys missed it from my previous post but I did end up pulling the trigger on a Pilar and specifically on the BHQ version with D2 steel and carbon fiber (standard size). It is due to arrive at my house tomorrow, can't wait to check it out and put a nice shiny edge on it.

I think I'm also going to pull the trigger on that Kizer Domin in the next couple of weeks. I really like it and its only 50 bucks.

15. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    The Domin is a nice knife. I really like VG-10 as an all-round EDC knife steel. There is a Mini Domin now but it uses N690. I have no experience with that steel.

I guess the next question is what you'll get after that. :cool:

dirc likes this.
  16. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
  17. gillmanjr

gillmanjr

Jul 27, 2017
    My Bradford Guardian3 is N690. Its not my favorite steel, thats for sure. But its alright I guess.

18. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
  19. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Not sure I get the comment about the Civivi. If they don't appeal, I totally get it. But to say you wouldn't buy because of Chinese origin, directly after stating you ordered a Pilar, and just prior to a Kizer post? You do know all those knives are made in China, right?

Cosmodragoon, Hackenslash and Mo2 like this.
  20. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    ...and the Brand Folsom too.

Anyway, I just picked up a Civivi Shard and want to add my voice to all the ones singing their praises. The Pilar that I had was a...disappointment.

Mo2 and Cosmodragoon like this.