hawk to compliment Grans Burks SFA

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by TheWaker43, Jan 18, 2014.

1. TheWaker43

TheWaker43

Apr 2, 2010
    I am looking for a small hawk to compliment my Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe. I actually think the Cold Steel Trail Hawk is exactly what I want and ordered two last night. But I have always tried to steer clear of CS. No personal experience, but just based on reputation. But the huge Trail Hawk mod thread has me intrigued, so I will give them a shot. I was wondering if there is anything else similar but more in line with the GB quality. Who knows the Trail Hawk might be just fine, just looking for ideas. Thanks.

2. Zymologist

Zymologist

May 21, 2012
    I think you made a fine choice I just ordered my first CS Trail hawk as well and one video on youtube that really pushed me over the edge was this one from IA Woodsman.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvv97vPLHk

For $25 it seems hard to beat.

3. A_T_WorkHorse

A_T_WorkHorse

Oct 15, 2013
    Check out H&B forge. They have some really nice looking hawks and hawkesque axes. Hand forged, too. Would look good next to your GB

4. Fox940

Fox940

Feb 4, 2013
    H&B Forge would be a great choice for a Hawk. Why not just get the GB wildlife hatchet. That would be the best to match up with it's bigger brother.

5. JGON

JGON

Mar 12, 2010
    Cold Steel Hawks are made by the American Tomahawk Company... They are decent for the money, although out of the box the edge needs some work and are not as functional for wood processing as some other tools, such as the Wildlife Hatchet by Gransfors. I owned both, and while the trailhawk was damn fun to throw around in the woods, the Wildlife hatchet could out chop it any day of the week. IA Woodsman has a great video on youtube about some other benefits of the trailhawk, but I still favor a well made purpose built hatchet or axe. Below is a link to IA Woodsman's excellent video on the trail hawk.

JGON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvv97vPLHk

6. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    No, they are not. They use the name. That's it. I believe they are still cast in Taiwan. They are still one of the better bargains on the market today though.

7. chuxwan

chuxwan

Aug 26, 2012
    I compliment my Scandinavian f.a. with a large knife. More than enough chopping power ( more than a hawk for sure) and more versatile.