1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade 535 Bugout, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 16 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

heat treat for 1095

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by rhosk, Sep 29, 2013.

1. rhosk

rhosk

Aug 28, 2012
    OK so I have loved 1095 steel as a knife user so I decided to make my first knife in 1095. I love how it has turned out, but, all my standard options for ht have proven beyond my means. I can't even really justify paying someone to do it because all the priceing I've encountered have been prohibitive unless you have a big batch. I guess I'm just curious if there is anyone willing and or able to ht single 1095 blades for reasonable prices. In the future I will probably choose an air hardening steel which I can more readily have heat treated but I would like to see my first one finished

Thanks
    Robby

[​IMG]

2. AddictedToGear

AddictedToGear

Aug 28, 2013
    I am working on my first knife and am using 1095 also. I would like to know what you used to make your grind and bevel. How did you mill out the tang of the knife?

3. mitch8

mitch8

Oct 11, 2010
    has anyone used a carbide bur and a die grinder for this process? i was thinking that might be a cheaper way than milling but i haven't tried it so im not sure what it will end up looking like.

4. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Trugrit still does it for 10 bucks a blade + shipping. That's not too shabby. Shame Darrin's not doing it any more. He did a great job.

5. rhosk

rhosk

Aug 28, 2012
    That is basically what I did I drilled some holes cut between them with a sabre saw then shaped the hole with carbide cylinder shaped bit then smoothed it with a dremel sanding drum.

And thanks crimsonfalcon trugrit looks like it will fit the bill