Heavy-bladed, Light-handled Wilderness Chopping Knives

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by coote, Jun 5, 2012.

1. thelastbestplace

thelastbestplace

Jan 27, 2012
    There is almost no reason NOT to try out one of the latin american machetes. They are like the Mora knives of the chopping world. So cheap (5-15 USD) yet so effective and truly proven. The machete's thin blade has a lot of advantages: it digs deeper into the wood, it's easier to sharpen, and it's lighter. Plus they excel at clearing lighter vegetation. They do seem to rust very easily though.

If you were looking for a medium sized knife that chops well. I agree with the poster who mentions the BK7, I was pretty surprised at how well that chops for its size. That's the knife in my car these days. I also like my Scrapyard 711 (and I got the 911 on order too). Pretty sweet stuff.

2. coote

coote

Apr 3, 2006
    Yep, out of all the heavy duty knives I've considered, the BK7 is still at the top of my list. I like them. Plus they get good reviews.

3. macmiddlebrooks

macmiddlebrooks

May 24, 2010
    How about a fiddleback 12" machette like this one? (pic stolen without permission..hope that's kosher)

IMG_3160.jpg

4. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Fiddleback machetes rock. The end.

5. tradewater

tradewater Geezerator Moderator

Jan 24, 2011
    Picked this up at Blade and guys, this is a two pound piece of chopping insanity. Will give an axe a run for it's money in hardwood.

It's a Condor Warlock. The grind is superb and fit and finish are first class. Great job on this design Joe. If your loadout can stand the two pounds, this thing is incredible.
    [​IMG]

6. paul'ie

paul'ie

Jun 6, 2012
    For the summer I like lite, I got a Stromeng KS-9 not bad on reasonable green wood, although a BK-9 keeps up and then some and not too heavy, although my go to chopper is my faithful Rodent 9, I also have the Rodent 7 which is smaller but still a great survival knife and I paired it off with the Rodent 4 nice combo, ofcource my Busse A.S.H.B.M. LE and my N.M.F.S.H. are awesome, but what really surprised me was the new modified Rodent 6 I had it thinned down and the top gaurd taken off and now it look's like a beefy Ratmandu on steriods the handle turned out great, the area where the top gaurd was actually assists my hand to beable to snap chop as if it was made that way, and the thumb fits natural on that area when I drill a bow drill hole, awesome, since it was a beefy knife to begin with at .265 thick but by thinning it it did make it a little lighter but it's still carries enough weight that for a 6" blade it chop's as well as it does, I comboed it with my 2Hawks Warbeast and my Wicked Tough Saw and this combo hits the spot for my lightweight gear, I'm very happy with my new modified Rodent 6 as a chopper, for heavier stuff the Warbeast and the Wicked Tough Saw is a great set, regardless I still consider this combo a lite carry set.

7. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    here ya go, 35 oz of chopper.
    [​IMG]

8. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
    The Becker BK 4

[​IMG]

9. Ausseknifeknut

Ausseknifeknut Banned BANNED