Help Me Buy a $100 Fixed Blade Gift

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sulaco, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Quietguy4ever

Quietguy4ever

Jan 12, 2012
    Id suggest a BK14 or 11. But if you wanted something a bitnless likely to rust go with a BK24 for the D2 steel.

LG&M likes this.
  2. snippy

snippy

Apr 1, 2014
    If you still haven't decided, here is a beauty of a camping knife for $75 (just released to the US market):

The Boker Plus Bushcraft XL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kydex sheath, belt adapter, stainless 440C - and Boker definitely hast the heat treat down on their 440C.

Just something else to consider.

Eric

3. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point
    Check it out on this great Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfFTYq3t3E

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. Dacus_Nomadic

Dacus_Nomadic

Jan 3, 2014
    TOPS Brothers of Bushcraft or any ESEE knife would be a good choice.

5. Hertz33

Hertz33

Jul 18, 2012
    I have the Izula and it's a great knife. But lately I've been eyeing this Black Jack necker. 154cm steel around $60. The handles sold separately just like the Izula.

[​IMG]

6. jonny450r

jonny450r

Apr 26, 2013
    Mora bushcraft even with the "sharpening stone" on the sheath and seeds fire steel on the side it can be had for $75 with a little extra for shipping. Thing would last a lifetime if taken care of and the Scandi grind will help hold the edge well.

I would rather get the black one but he won't loose this one. http://www.bladehq.com/item--Mora-of-Sweden-Morakniv-Bushcraft--16229

7. Tmack

Tmack

Apr 29, 2014
    That's a great looking grind. Just right.

8. w8indq

w8indq

Oct 26, 2014
    How about a svord drop point?

9. The_Knife_Man

The_Knife_Man

May 30, 2014
    ESEE 4

It's easy to sharpen. Enough blade for day hikes, backpacking, etc. It's within budget. Awesome warranty that will make ol` city boy not afraid to use it.

10. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Dpx gear website has hest 4 on sale for veterans day for $111.11. Four different models to choose from

11. TBL

TBL

Dec 26, 2013
    Outdoors one knife solution to pair with a SAK would be a BK2. It cuts, chops, and batons. Takes a razor edge and is very easy to sharpen. It can preform all outdoor tasks with ease.

[​IMG]

12. jcwagers

jcwagers

Sep 30, 2010
    I'm going to ask you a question....and you may or may not know the answer to it. Since your friend is adjusting to the "outdoors" and thinking about getting into camping and such, what size knife would you think he would be pleased with from a weight perspective? I know that may sound like a silly question but some people are very sensitive to weight. Some people don't want to carry a 1 lb+ knife on their hip or strapped to their leg. Also, if you have quite a few knives, let him hold some of them to see how the handles feel and what blade shape and length he would be happy with. In other words, get some feedback from him. Even someone who isn't very knowledgeable about knives can tell you if they think something might be too heavy, too short or long, or just uncomfortable. Once you've been able to find out that information, it will greatly help you to narrow down your search. What if you were to buy him a knife that's well under $100 and spend the rest on a sharpening rod or stone, firesteel, etc.? For the money, there are tons of great options. If you want to go really cheap, you could go with a mora, like was mentioned earlier. A regular or Bushcraft Black would be a great knife. Another good, yet cheap, option would be the Gerber Big Rock. It's cheap but would be easy to sharpen. If your friend likes smaller knives, a BK11 or BK14 would possibly be a nice choice. Just make sure you get the handle scales if you pick the BK14. They make a big difference in the feel of the knife. If you think he would like something bigger or more expensive, the BK15, BK16, BK17 would all be worthy choices. I would also think that the Cold Steel SRK would make a nice choice as well. The BK10 would be another option. I'm partial to the Becker line but I know that a lot of people are not and that's ok. ESEE knives are great as well but some people find the handles to be a bit uncomfortable. They are excellent knives but not for everyone. Finding out what your friend's preferences are may help you to narrow things down. So far all the choices I've seen in this thread have been good choices. Good luck and keep us updated!

J.C.

13. pmeisel

pmeisel

Jul 29, 2012
    I like my BK24, but I think an ESEE 3 or a stacked leather handle model of about 3.5" blade would be excellent as well. For everyday use and light hiking/outdoors you don't need a lot of weight or blade length, you carry and slice a lot more than you chop and whack.

14. f250

f250

Aug 9, 2014
    I'd go for either a bk24 or a bk11. I don't have either, but they're going to be my next 2 purchases.

However, if he doesn't know how to sharpen, I'd go with an Ontario Rat 3 (about 60 dollars) and spend the rest on a basic sharpening system as some others have said. As much as I want a bk2 and as great of a knife it is....I agree with jcwagers.....the weight is going to turn off a "city boy".

15. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    This just came down to $100....Previously $140

[​IMG]

16. Aleous

Aleous

Aug 24, 2013
    Becker BK2 if you want something in carbon steel or a Cold Steel SRK if you want something in stainless, each can be found for a little less than $75.

17. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    You can also get a Becker BK4 for $65 down from $142. They are on sale til the end of the month iirc.

18. dcbowtecher

dcbowtecher

Jan 21, 2010
    What TBL said..