Recommendation? Help me choose a new EDC...

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, May 9, 2020.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Hey guys. I've been carrying a spyderco military and a victorinox minicamp as my EDC. I also EDC the minichamp along with a swisstool spirit. I'd love to get an alox, I just don't know which. I'm thinking the farmer. I use my multi tools a lot for Phillips which is the part stopping me from going alox. Also, tweezers & pen... I'd like to leave the minichamp behind and carry dedicated tools. Maybe even a light. So EDC overhaul... ideas?

2. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    There are three threads going rite now on 2,3,4 layer SAKs, you might get some good ideas about what others carry and like to help you. Let us kno what you find

allenC and Storm 8593 like this.
  3. SteeleJ1976

SteeleJ1976

Jan 24, 2020
    The Farmer X is coming out May 25th I believe (I hope). You may want to look into the one it is a Farmer with scissors.

comis likes this.
  4. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    You just convinced me to wait :)

Storm 8593 likes this.
  5. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Definitely sound advice, if you like the saw and the scissors in alox format.

However, if you do prefer to have tweezers/pen and dedicated inline phillips(which is stronger and more functional than backside phillips), then I'd recommend a 91mm Explorer with plus scale or Cybertool S(which essentially a Spartan + screwdriver with bits).

allenC, guy g and Storm 8593 like this.
  6. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018

This should be a pic of the farmer x - I think I like it : )

[​IMG]

allenC, 315, guy g and 2 others like this.
  7. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I like that. I've been debating getting a pioneer x, but I like the farmer. Best of both worlds.

jmh33 likes this.
  8. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Dirc, can you take some more photos please? Backside, shot towards blades, e.t. . curious on dimensions and thickness

9. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    I think it is just regular Pioneer X + a 93mm saw + a liner, so it should be around 22mm thick(0.866in) and handle is 93mm long.

10. Scott Free

Scott Free

Sep 15, 1999
    I edc a modded Farmer with scissors. You should know that the little screwdriver on the can opener of all Victorinox SAKs is designed to work with philips head screws and that it does so very well. I've used mine on philips screws using quite a bit of torque. No issues at all.

Hickory n steel likes this.
  11. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I knew it was but I was curious if it damages the sharpened portion of the can opener in "deeper" (as in the depth the driver goes onto the screwhead) screws.

12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The can openers don't tend to do much of their cutting towards the tip, and they're not really that sharp anyways so even if they do get a bit dull at the tip it won't effect much.