1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Help me understand the allure of spyderco knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ErocSD, Aug 28, 2019.

1. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I consider Spyderco a premium knife company, and heres why. When they mark a steel type, thats the steel. When they state the steel hardness, its that hardness. Their heat treat is where it should be. They are innovative. Constantly evolving. Constantly improving. Their blades are designed to slice and cut. The owners are very involved in the company.
    The Spyderco hole is, for me, the best thumb opening method on any folding knife.

CellerDrummer, Standard78 and ErocSD like this.
  2. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019

Many of the reasons you listed are exactly why I really want to like Spyderco. They seem like such a good company all around I was just having a disconnect understanding the Allure that's all. I believe my misunderstanding has been clarified though thanks

Standard78 and 115Italian like this.
  3. gdwtvb

gdwtvb

Jan 14, 2006
    I am a confirmed fan of Spyderco knives. I'll tell you some of the reasons why I like them and you can see if any of my reasons resonate with you.

1. I like the people that run the company. I met Sal at one of the blade shows and he was excited to show me some of the designs they were working on and and was interested in my feedback. It's pretty cool and extremely rare to have interactions with the person that runs a manufacturing company and for them want feedback. Indeed many of the knives they have produced are a direct result of designs and suggestions from members of the forums that are not knife designers by trade. It gives me the feeling of being part of the Spyderco family rather than being just a consumer.

2. I like the hole. I am a fan of one hand opening knives, and in my opinion the hole is better than any design of thumbstud. I know that the flipper mechanism is all the rage right now, but I've had a few and haven't been impressed.

3. They aren't the prettiest knives. How can this be a positive? it's because many of their designs were designed first and foremost to be used to cut stuff. It didn't matter what they looked like as long as they were comfortable to carry in pocket, easy to pull from the pocket. Easy to open. Easily cut whatever they were supposed to cut. And Easy to close and reinsert into the pocket. Some people suggested getting and using a Delica or the like, I agree. Some of their newer designs have been designed more for looks than use. It's because lots of knives are bought by people that don't really use knives and Spyderco want's to sell to those people too. (You might want to think of these as fancy engraved shotguns, they still work.)

4. The salt line of knives. Spyderco makes a line of knives specifically to stay rust free. It's just one of their many innovations. If you ever need a knife for a marine environment, they are your best choices. It's back designing knives for a purpose. They found the most corrosion proof metals available that can and do hold an edge.

5. The variety of steels.

6. Innovation and commitment to continual improvement. The Spyderco Native is on its fifth version. The Delica is on it's fourth. Small things get changed like the pattern on the handles...to give the user a better grip without creating hotspots. They changed from pinned to screw construction. When there's a problem, there was a bit when they first started using roller bearings, they redesigned the affected models and fixed the problem.

7. The leaf shaped blade. Jack of all trades, master at none. It isn't the best skinning knife in existence, but works better than alot of other blade shapes. It spreads peanut butter less well that a butter knife, but better than any traditional folding Case knife. Enough belly for when you need it, not too much for when you don't. Pointy enough, but not too pointy.

Grizz

4. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Excellent selection of steels, perfect heat treat, and they make knives that can actually cut. It's baffling how many makers are trying to sell sharpened pry bars.

I love my Maxamet PM2 and Para3.

marrenmiller, Standard78 and ErocSD like this.
  5. yamsi12

yamsi12 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I started out with Kershaws, which led to ZT. I own 25 ZT knives. I never thought I would like Spyderco, the spydie hole doesn’t do the blade any favors in the looks dept IMO. Then ZT decided to release knives that I have no interest in...0850, 0022, 0023. I’ve sort of given up on ZT for the time being (ZT you’re better than this) and I looked at other brands. The money that would have gone to ZT has gone to OKC, Cold Steel and just a few days ago a Paramilitary 2 to see what all the hype was about.

I really really like it. So much that I have a camo PM2 on the way in the mail and Im debating picking up a Manix 2.

Jondllas311, Alsharif and ErocSD like this.
  6. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Truth be told, you didnt really hold any punches. You even managed to sneak the word plastic in there seven or eight times;)

Just as we have seen people not understanding the allure of Spyderco before (which is perfectly alright for the already stated reasons), once in a while somebody with a perceived bone to pick with Spyderco pops up. Once the ire has been vented, a few compliments are always thrown in at the end.

There was the guy, who claimed, that Delicas were for women only and the member who got banned and then went to the Spyderco forum to continue to badmouth Spyderco knives. Always with some backhanded compliments thrown in.

7. ErocSD

Jan 21, 2019

Thank you, that is truly the blueprint of an amazing company! I may end up with a native 5 and as stated if I can't love it I'm sure it will sell. Thanks again

8. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    I, too, am not big into Spyderco's, although I have a few with good F&F. However, we often try to justify our excessive expenditures with things like QC, beauty, materials, etc. In the end, something is only worth what people will pay for it. If you wonder why someone might pay for a car, motorcycle, house, knife, shoe, painting, drill press, lawn mower, ladder, etc., and you are basing it on the cost of labor, quality of materials, fit and finish, etc. you are missing the point. 100 people slaving away at $400 an hour to put out a knife may only find $1.99 on ebay. The person willing to pay $14,000 for Britney Spears' chewed and spit out bubble gum is who sets the worth.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. It means that any person can have a knife that does about everything a $200 knife (or even $2,000) will do for $20 (plus a little maintenance) minus the bragging rights.

ErocSD likes this.
  9. ErocSD

Jan 21, 2019

I truly wasn't trying to offend anyone, I believe the plastic at the price point is my biggest hangup, then looks are second. That is why I was trying to get passed that portion of my misunderstanding. I believe I'm still a little confused on FRN to plastic but that's what it appears to be, correct me if wrong. FRN is plastic with glass fibers correct?

I assure you there is no bone to pick, just a quest for understanding. There really is no way to beat around the Bush on the issue, I'm a pretty direct guy so once again it wasn't intended as a back handed insult or put down. How else would I address one of my major issues without outright saying it?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    JD Bear and Jondllas311 like this.
  10. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    The relation to a brand is something very personal so I can only speak of my personal perception of the Spyderco brand

To give you some background ,
    I would define me as a practical guy. I don’t enjoy what is not useful.
    I have a busy life, trying to manage job, family, friends and hobbies... and knives ;)
    My favourite knives brands are CRK and Hinderer followed by ZT, Spyderco and Benchmade
    I have owned a few Spydercos and still own 3/4 of them
    What I enjoy at Spyderco is that when you are looking for a knife for a specific use that is nether overbuild not out of price for the quality , then you can find a Spyderco
    A Salt 2 when I go in holidays for diving
    A PM2 s110v when I go away for some time without any sharpening equipment
    A UKPK when I need a one hand opening slip joint
    A GB2 when I need a good steel to go to work in the backyard

So many steels, locking mechanism and ergonomics are reasonable price point!

I still need to wait to get a PN3 with an exotic steel, a chief, a sage 5 or chaparral FRN... there are so many options and uses!

Not the best looking, no always the strongest construction but man, each knife is made with a purpose

Compare it to ZT (another brand I like)!
    ZT can be more appealing for the material and look but they din’t Have a purpose like most spydies have.

ErocSD likes this.
  11. ErocSD

Jan 21, 2019

All good points, value is only what someone deems an item worth. I guess I was a little confused on some things. I have been instilled with confidence and learned a lot from everyone's responses. Thanks again.

orangejoe35 likes this.
  12. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    firstly everybody likes different things for personal reasons ... and that's why we are all individuals ...

that being said it took me a long time to try Spydercos as they didn't appeal to me ...

I finally bought a box of knives at an estate auction and it had a Native 5 unused in it ... now normally I prefer bigger knives for most of my carry knives ...

but the Native felt great in my hand and showed itself very useful ... so I jumped into the iconic PM2 to try even though the appearance still didn't really connect with what I like ... but again the knife just performed really well ...

so I tried some others and found I am not a fan of the FRN scales (with one exception ... the fully serrated salt) ...

and then I tried a Manix II ... and found that is far and away my favorite Spyderco ... I love the M4 version and I added aftermarket micarta scales ...

I still wouldn't say I'm drawn to many Spydercos ... but I have a lot of respect for them and the company ...

so hopefully that maybe hit some of your questions ... and it's ok if they aren't for you ... we are lucky to be in the middle of great knives coming out left and right from many companies.

Standard78 and ErocSD like this.
  13. P2P

P2P Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2010
    In terms of wear resistance Spyderco Maxamet will far exceed either m390 or S35vn. It’s one of the most wear resistant steels ever placed in a production folder as far as I understand it.

I’d like to give Maxamet another shot in the future with my own edge on it. My concerns with it are more in the toughness category.

To the original post, Spyderco is known for having great heat treats. Getting the most out of whichever steel they use. I have a CPM Rex 45 para 2 that can attest to that. Also have a Superblue endura that sharpens like a dream. I couldn’t find an alternative to either of these with other production knives.

I’ve had a ZT in 20cv I found chipped to much for my uses. I sold it for other reasons though.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    craytab, marrenmiller and ErocSD like this.
  14. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    As far as production folders, there is no steel that is higher in wear resistance.

marrenmiller likes this.
  15. P2P

P2P Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Actually this is the video that made me consider Maxamet again. I think it was the factory edge that caused for the chip I got in my steel more than steel and HT.

marrenmiller and Alsharif like this.
  16. ErocSD

Jan 21, 2019
    Interesting, Once again I learned something new. Thanks... I'll have to check Maxamet out in the future.

Alsharif likes this.
  17. K.O.D.

K.O.D. The Everlasting Know-it-all Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Spyderco has always been a function over form company. Ergos used to be the number one priority, though not as much now. I love them.

AntDog, danbot and ErocSD like this.
  18. omaha-beenglockin

omaha-beenglockin

Oct 22, 2005
    I own a few Spyderco's but none have captured my spirit like an Axis lock Benchmade-----sorry but its true

ErocSD likes this.
  19. ErocSD

Jan 21, 2019
    Agreed, there are so many options out there but Spyderco just seems like such a good company and as stated they are very well respected and that has enticed me to be a fan. I just had a hard time getting it.... I still don't like green olives and every year I try one and every year I spit it out, usually with a martini in hand. now that I have been educated about the quality and company I certainly have much more confidence in the brand and will pick one up.

JJ_Colt45 and P2P like this.
  20. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Just for context what knife is worth $200.00?

No rounding please.