1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help- softening epoxy to move blade

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by vanschalkwykstephen, Feb 6, 2017.

1. vanschalkwykstephen

vanschalkwykstephen

Sep 6, 2010
    So I glued up this one and its not centred!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I've angled the picture a bit to accentuate the problem a bit, but I need to move the blade about .75mm to the left (or 9 o'clock if the point is pointing 12 o'clock)

I did a bit of a search on the forums and came across this one http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/187645-Dumb-epoxy-question and http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/334101-How-Much-Heat-Will-Epoxy-and-Micarta-Bear which suggest that the epoxy, depending on its specific chemical makeup, might soften when heated.
    Problem is that I'm waiting on a spec sheet...

Has anyone ever tried and pulled this off? Or am I looking at grinding the handle off?

Thanks for advice.

Steve

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Once cured, you can destroy the bond with heat, but you can't soften and re-harden it.

Place the knife in an oven at 225F for 30 minutes. Remove and with a gloved hands, twist and pull on the blade to remove it from the handle. If it starts coming out, good. If nt raise temp to 250F for another 30 minutes and try again.

Unfortunately, the epoxy bonds in the laminated handle will be destroyed, too .... so you will have to make a new handle.

On reason why 24 hour cure epoxy is best for handles is it gives you lots of adjustment time to check and correct these type problems before it is rock solid hardened.

3. vanschalkwykstephen

vanschalkwykstephen

Sep 6, 2010
    Ah, I thought that might be the case. Thanks so much for the advice Mr. Apelt, I appreciate it!

4. Gunmerc

Gunmerc

May 19, 2015
    Can the handle be cleaned out to reuse by opening it up a bit more?