1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How To Help with 3 phase 2x72 motors

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Skiller1nc, May 19, 2019.

1. Skiller1nc

Skiller1nc

Jun 27, 2016
    So I'm shopping for a motor for my belt grinder. I just purchased a VFD link here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-3HP-...196433?hash=item33b5b9fa51:g:OGgAAOSwD~xZk7to

My shop does not have 3 phase or 220, however, I plan to install at least one 220 outlet and use the VFD to go from single to triple phase. Thus I am looking for a 3 phase 220v motor I can use with this VFD. I know that some motors list their voltages at say 220 and 440 and can be used at either voltage. However, I found a motor that lists only 400v. Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HP-Elect...m=264278493617&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Can anyone explain this a bit for me? does this motor have to be ran at 400v or can it be ran with 220? Will I have to change Hz to achieve the same speeds and will I lose torque or wear the motor out faster? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Collin Johnson

Collin Johnson

May 16, 2019
    First, I would not personally get that motor, Since it is an unnamed motor I would say that it probably a cheaper Chinese motor. The listing doesn't give a lot of information about it and I would also recommend getting something that runs at 1800 and is a 4 pole because it will have more torque and with the vfd you'll be able to reach the speeds of the 3800 2 pole motor. Looking up the model number you can also find the motor for around 80 dollars. I would recommend getting a brand that is recognizable from ebay. There is nothing wrong buying used if you can trust the seller

Lieblad likes this.
  3. Skiller1nc

Skiller1nc

Jun 27, 2016
    Yes, I was also hesitant about getting that motor due to the things you said. I just wanted to use it as an example to learn more. I'm looking at a 2hp 3phase 1750 rpm Dayton atm. Hopefully, that works out. Thank you for your help.

4. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Not only is that a 400 volt only motor, it's also a 50 hz. Not for use in USA except in special situations. You might try an Iron Horse motor. Many of us have had good luck with them. https://bit.ly/2JtxiXE

The VFD looks like the last couple of VFDs I purchased - you'll be happy with it. Super easy to setup. Be sure to put a filter over the air inlets to protect the electronics from steel dust.

12345678910 and seanj like this.
  5. Collin Johnson

Collin Johnson

May 16, 2019
    Ken H> likes this.
  6. seanj

seanj

Mar 1, 2010
    I have an Iron Horse motor. It's an excellent value.

7. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Fwiw,
    Notice, this EBay is described as a syncronous motor.
    Thats not exactly bad, but depending on its specific type of rotor may take a couple extra brain cells turned on to use it.

Last edited: May 19, 2019