1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Here Fishy - Let's See Your Fish Knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 22, 2019.

1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
  2. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I love these knives and this thread. Growing up I had a yellow Imperial or Case toothpick with main clip blade and second scaler/hook remover/bottle opener. No hook sharpener on the scales. Loved that thing. My dad kept a wood handled/wood sheathed fixed blade in his tackle box. The wood was all of one piece, rectangular, with a ruler on each side. The black ruler had true inches and read, "For Honest Fishermen" while the red ruler had scant inches that read, "For Dishonest Fishermen." Also read, "IT FLOATS!" The blade was a typical combination knife/scaler/bottle opener. Nice memories.

Zieg

3. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I don't have a folding fishing knife but I have this fillet knife. Worth posting I think.

Schrade + USA 167UH Staglon Uncle Henry Steelhead Fillet Knife & Sheath with Imitation Stag (Staglon) Handles and Nickel Silver Bolsters - 12 inches overall - 6 3/4 inch blade

[​IMG]

biglmbass, specgrade, Chui and 7 others like this.
  4. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    If only that Uncle Henry had real stag! It's a beautiful knife.
    My fish knife is nowhere near as lovely, but it's been in my tackle box for decades and does its thing without much fanfare
    [​IMG]

5. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 8, 2011
    An Opinel No15 "L Effile" I carved with a 6" blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not very practical!

6. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice carving job!!:thumbsup:

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  7. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I hate to expose my ignorance, but what is the bottle opener looking thing near the bolster on a lot of the folders?

8. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I was under the assumption it is exactly that...if not then I'll have learned something new today :)

JohnDF, MerryMadMonk and abbydaddy like this.
  9. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    It’s a bottle opener. Most of these folders include a fillet blade, descaler, bottle opener, and hook de-gouger. Some will also have a ruler and hook sharpener. These are great multi-tools!

abbydaddy and JohnDF like this.
  10. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Yep, bottle opener/caplifter.

abbydaddy and JohnDF like this.
  11. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Couple Schrades.

IMG_9485.jpg IMG_0220.jpg

2Dead, danno50, biglmbass and 12 others like this.
  12. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    Al
    Almost every knife I own is a part of my collecting hobby. My only fishing knife is no exception, it being a piece in my collection, and I don't even go fishing.

Anyhow, it's a 'SHUR-LOCK' fishing knife circa 1950. I guess they are actually pretty rare, were made of stainless steel, and were USA produced. The lock on it makes it an even more rare bird, and hence why I wanted to add it to my collection. I was lucky to pick it up on the cheap, and it's in extremely minty condition, even having it's original factory cutting edge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    A new GEC 65 fish knife, and a Simms fishing vest so old it was actually made in the USA!

FFA1D97D-9832-4A89-B212-4C7C0744BD93.jpeg

2Dead, specgrade, Modoc ED and 6 others like this.
  14. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    9C9D1232-4CAD-4668-BFCE-8FFE5E256E37.jpeg 782F845E-563B-40CC-B1B9-05D8604DCCB4.jpeg 4B924451-13C8-4664-9824-1B8B97441F15.jpeg Here is a Buck 387 / Bill Lowen Fish Pick 5 inch folded length, 4 inch 420hc blades but it is imported China. Main blade has a liner lock, secondary has disgourger, cap lifter, measurement ruler, and the descaler is almost a sawtooth that cuts bone and wood easily. It had a bent hook bail but I removed it as it would snag clothing and fishing line easily, now the bail pin hole is a hook straightener. :D:rolleyes:

specgrade, Modoc ED, JohnDF and 5 others like this.
  15. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I think abalone is the ultimate cover for a fish knife.......imagine the GEC 65 with abalone covers!

Lesknife likes this.
  16. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    That is super cool and unique...I definitely have not seen that before.

Love that knife...I seemed to miss out on that one but hoping to get one from the Rendezvous or otherwise. It would be pretty neat if GEC offered that in some other materials too...like tortoise shell :D Seriously though, keep those coming GEC.

What a cool fish knife! I like that a lot :thumbsup:

Dschal, Lesknife and PocketKnifeJimmy like this.
  17. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
  18. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Tuna Valley fish knife made at Queen in 2014.
    [​IMG]

specgrade, JohnDF, Modoc ED and 4 others like this.
  19. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Terrible pic, but you get the idea. A Puma fishing knife / weighing scale.
    A gift from my parents in I think the late 60's.

[​IMG]

20. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    A combo counter-weight and humane-bonker! Those are cool!

JohnDF likes this.