HEST/Folder Packaging Tin Uses...

Discussion in 'DPx Hostile Environment Survival Tools' started by 333rm, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 333rm

333rm

Oct 17, 2009
    I couldn't help but notice that the tin RYP has the HEST/F packaged in seemed really familiar to me! I had bought several about 6 months ago to make some survival kits out of since it's just about the perfect size and thickness for one. It's slightly longer and wider than the Pelican and Otter Boxes in it's size range, but the nice thing is it's WAY thinner. It also is waterproofed by coming with a thick rubber gasket on the lid, seals shut with the clamps on the side, and is made of aluminum. It's VERY sturdy so you don't have to worry about the thing crushing or falling apart on you either. Here are some pics of one survival kit that I had thrown together in one of them. I also have a plastic handcuff key, 25' of 175lb. test kevlar cord, and a solid ceramic razor blade inside that are not pictured. There's still room inside for several more items to be added.

*Maybe someone could post the photo of the HEST/F packaged in the tin on here so people can see what I'm talking about. I'd REALLY appreciate it!!!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 1 Quart water bag and Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets for water purification.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. eloreno

eloreno

Apr 22, 2010
    Courtesy of lunde.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. lsheldon

lsheldon

Jan 2, 2009

And where did you find them for sale, Maker?

4. 333rm

333rm

Oct 17, 2009
  5. sdg

sdg

Jun 14, 2010
    I didn't know the tins are waterproof. Very cool. I also didn't know how expensive they are! Thanks for the bonus RYP!

Nice kit, 333. It'll be fun to see what kind of kits LE HEST/F customers put together.

6. Ad Alta

Ad Alta

Dec 18, 2010
  7. RYP

RYP

Jul 11, 2009
    After a worldwide search I chose the SAS tins from England.

Yes they are waterproof. They have a beautiful snap shut seal and fit perfectly in a BDU pocket or gear pocket. Just pull the wooden insert out and fill em up with whatever you need to keep dry. Matches, tinder, maps, rice, batteries, whatever. and yes you cook in them.

8. burddogg

burddogg Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I like the SAS tins, a great sub for the small Otterbox or Pelican case.

9. tinwiskers

tinwiskers Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Oh cool packaging!! and functional, looking forward to having one of these in my hot little hands

10. tersfeld

tersfeld

Jul 14, 2009
    333rm-

Nice little kits man. I'm gonna have to order up one, and put one together myself.

11. 333rm

333rm

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks for finding that for me! I knew that Trueways carried them, but I went over to their site today and wasn't able to find them. I think I was in to big a hurry because I was trying to respond to thread. Thanks again!!!

I'll do side by side pics tomorrow and post it up on here for you. Maybe I'll also throw in the Otter 1000, 2000, and Pelican 1010 so you can see how it compares to the rest of them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  12. fixer

fixer Banned BANNED

Mar 9, 2000
    ahh! these are cool little tins and somehow not what i was expecting when i read "SAS tins" i'd seen them with some other name describing the latches, but i can't remember the exact term at the moment.

13. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    That's awesome!

RYP: will the first production run get this treatment as well?? I have 2 of those on pre-order, and can't wait!

14. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    Bestglide has some tins quite similiar to the HEST tins for anyone thats interested. I've ordered a couple of there regular and small survival tins (gold colored ones ) and the quality of the tins was outstanding.

15. RYP

RYP

Jul 11, 2009
    These tins are just for the LE version. But we can look into expanding their use to the regular run by adding them on to a deluxe version.

16. 333rm

333rm

Oct 17, 2009
    I think that would be a great idea!:D What about maybe offering them for sale on the DPx web site?!?! I'd much rather buy them from you than that other place.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  17. DocBurN

DocBurN

Feb 25, 2010
    What are the 4 "beads", 2 on each side.. made of ? not plastique i beleave if i put fire underneat.. metal ?

18. 333rm

333rm

Oct 17, 2009
    I do have some of these gold tins. They have a thin seal on the lid but don't lock shut in any way. The metal is also about the same thickness as an Altoids type box also. The one thing is that they more room than those tiny ones and cheaper than the aluminum type I showed here.

19. 333rm

333rm

Oct 17, 2009
    The 2 long beads are clamps that lock the lid and seal the tin. They are made of some type of a plastic. I have cooked bacon and boiled water in my one of my tins with absolutely no problems what so ever. Just fold them over inside the tin and keep the tin out of the direct flame and you shouldn't have an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.