1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

HI Polishing Methods?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Nicholas, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    To all:

Recently, my father (a professional woodworker) got a good look at one of my HI's and was very impressed with how shiny it was: he was amazed it wasn't stainless. In addition to wanting to help out with some more wood donations, he's also asked how they polish these things! And that's the one aspect of the forging process that I can't seem to find information about on the site.

For dear ol' Dad's sake, does anyone know very much about how they do this?

2. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
  3. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    there's a bit on the HI site HERE <-linky

partway down the page, they show the old hand turned drills and grind stones, since supplanted by electric power tools - note the 'to code' wiring! ;)

they also show the buffing wheels made of old rags, etc. & ref. the 'magic' stone and commercially sourced compunds used...

4. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    Something similar to red jeweler's rouge often remains in cracks and crevices on the handle and blade details.

I suspect the key ingredient is lots of elbow grease. Polishing is time- and labor-intensive, which is why matte finishes are more common on items produced by industrialized companies. If companies do choose a shiny finish, the cost of upgrading to stainless steel is less than the cost of mirror polishing steps - so they use stainless to keep things shiny. In Nepal, labor is much cheaper and polishing can be done by apprentices.

5. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    Crud; I've seen that page, and forgot about it. Dumb ol' me.

The "elbow grease" part, though, I'd guessed. Just a few minutes polishing a khuk taught me THAT much.;)

Thanks, guys.