HI straight razor?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by mdole, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mdole

mdole

Dec 13, 2009
    I've been haunting this forum for a while now, as well as bugging the guys over in the Razor section, and I have a question...
    Could HI make a straight razor? Would (if the price were right) anyone else be interested? I'm thinking of a fixed, possibly all metal (although how great would a horn or wood handle look!?!?!?!) razor. Would 5160 even be good for that, or is my dream of putting Nepali steel to my throat every morning just crazy? :eek: :D Thanks!
    -Matt-

2. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    I put a bug in Kami Sherpa's ear about that, and showed him and the shop manager my Dovo.

Let's wait and see what happens.

3. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    that would be cool:) I don't shave (i have one of those beard trimmers I keep on the lowest setting so I always look like I rolled out of an action movie), but I'd be down for something novel like that:)

4. mdole

mdole

Dec 13, 2009
    So it's not just me? Thank goodness! Howard, I'm pleased to hear that you have put the idea into Kami's head, now let's add some steel, some heat, and find some knifey goodness!
    Steely, I wear a short beard, but I shave my neck (just started with a straight, had my third attempt this morning!) and I'd LOVE a fixed blade straight from HI!

Anyone else?

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I want to see this! The idea of a horn handle might be dangerous though...I might pass out while shaving cuz it'd be SO cool!

5. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    I'd be in. Sounds very interesting.

6. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    I don't shave much. I don't get much facial hair in. I only shave about twice a week to get rid of my 72 hour shadow. What I use is the 1890's Sheffield straight razor which belonged to my great grandfather... which my grandfather gave to me before he died back in 1988.

But occasionally I shave with one of my knives for the heck of it.

I shaved with my "farm knife" last week. Tricky with a blade that size but it did rather well.

7. GregS

GregS

May 6, 2008

This is funny, I do the same thing. :D

8. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Wolf_1989, I never want to get on your ignore list! :eek:

My nightmares are made of what could happen to me next if 'ignore' was not enough! :eek:

But seriously, my hands shake too much for a straight razor although the electric one I've just started using it not much good but then I don't need but shave every third day either.

9. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jan 17, 2009
    I posted about this idea a few months back. I'd love to see an HI str8. Perhaps a fixed, like a Japanese kamisori, without the asymmetrical grind.
    I'd like to see them make a good wedge grind with a square or round point. I think 5160 would be very good for a str8.
    I shaved with my Dovo last night. I'm mostly a DE/SE/injector safety razor fan, but I love a good str8. I have about 8 str8s, all but the Dovo are vintage German and American.
    I also have some old F. Herder German str8 razor blade blanks I intend to finish.

I would LOVE to shave with an HI made wedge grind, fixed blade str8. Tough call between square point and round point.
    I think square point would be easier for them to make. No need for them to stress over trying to make a hollow grind. Wedge grind would be easier to make, and very durable.

10. mdole

mdole

Dec 13, 2009
    I've only shaved with hollow grinds, but I like the look of a wedge! I also like the idea of a uniform grind, the western style straight instead of the Japanese. But I'd like to see a barbers notch on the fixed straight...I just think it adds a nice aesthetic to a razor! It's nice to see others with an interest!

-Matt-

11. firemedic1343

firemedic1343

Nov 5, 2008
    I'd be in for 1.

12. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    I remember Bill saying something about this. Knowing the kamis, he figured that the razor would have a 12" blade, and weigh a pound and a half. ;)

Steve

13. firemedic1343

firemedic1343

Nov 5, 2008
    That's hilarious. But now that I think about it, they do have more experience with heavier items.

14. Third_Rail

Third_Rail

Apr 16, 2004
    For $100 or so, I'd happily buy one. Any more than that, and I'd rather stick with Timur razors. :)

15. mdole

mdole

Dec 13, 2009
    :D Thats GREAT! I'm with Third_Rail as well, as much as I'd love to own a HI razor, the price would have to be right too. :thumbup:

-Matt-

16. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    You could just go really old school and try shaving with an obsidian flake.

17. stickfred

stickfred

Nov 6, 2009
    They got any obsidian in Nepal?

18. sweet

sweet

Nov 11, 1999
    I would be in for a bunch of blades only, those would be awesome for the handle lamination slabs I make!

19. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Mate, think laterally ... sell a bunch of your slabs to HI ! ;)