Hinderer clip nightmare...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by zdp189, May 24, 2020.

1. zdp189

zdp189 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Hi Y'all -

I recently picked up my first Hinderer (half track, 2nd gen) and I love everything about it *except* that once clipped into the pocket of my shorts, I can't get the bloody thing out without using two hands!?....

Do I just have a bad clip? Is this a known issue with some of their clips being (damn near impossible) to remove the knife from some clothing?

So I guess I'm just wondering why my options are because I'm not giving up this knife... (bend it? buy an aftermarket clip?) I'm super disappointed that I can't carry it right now. I'll try it in some other pants, but during the hot weather I live in shorts and none of my other knives have this problem with them.

Thanks in advance!
    Regards,
    --Mike

2. ZEDRX

ZEDRX Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 9, 2019
    I run my halftracks clipless and just throw them in my pocket. That being said, if you want to use the clip and you find it's too stiff, jut bend it a little. Also, I run socket head screws on all my Hinderers (from TiConnector). This gives my fingers a little more to grab on to.

3. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Bend it

4. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Not familiar with the half track, but shorts material is fairly light and can have a lot of give that jeans don't. This can cause the clip to snag. Bending it slightly may work.

5. Silent H

Silent H Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2018
    The relatively thick hem (compared to thin material of your shorts) may be getting caught in the lockbar relief under your clip. I don't have a halftrack, but that's happened to me with other Hinderers and other framelocks. The tension of Hinderer clips also tends to vary widely. I've recieved some that were barely touching the scale, and others bowing inwards towards the scale because they were so tight. Luckily they're really easy to bend to your preferred tension.

6. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try bending it today. It's just weird that it doesn't happen with my (only other) clip-it type knife.

7. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    Spot on, the hem was getting caught in the lock bar relief. My other knife with a clip is a liner, so didn't have that problem.
    Gonna try bending it a little, but I don't want to make it too loose. May just have to carry the Hinderer when I wear other sorts of clothing, or go "clip less" .
    Thanks!

8. calebpo

calebpo

Nov 10, 2012
    I recently picked up a half track and am having the same issue in all the pants I carry it in. It’s a shame because otherwise, the knife is perfect. Never had this issue on any other hinderers or any other knives at all I own.

9. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    Sorry to hear that, but good to know that it's not just me....

I just bought an XM-18 3" and I'm hoping I don't have the same problems as with the half track.

10. ferider

ferider Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Bend it. Or get a deep pocket clip, for example from MXG. Or go clipless (use a tab instead), it's such a tiny knife :)

11. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    MXG doesn't list any clips for the half track, just the XM-18. Are they interchangeable?

(Clipless isn't a good option for me, as I find it too heavy to have bouncing around in my pockets)

12. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    My friend would use a file or sand paper to fix it LOL...

Sheath of his Esee 3 was too tight for him and he used a file on it to fix it...
    His Condor Fidelis had extremley tight retention (he needed both hands to unsheath the knife) and he folded some sand paper and solved it...

Try to bend it away a little or sand it down a bit...

13. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Yes, they are. You'll need clip and filler tab, that MXG sells in a package.

I use them quite a bit, below on a 24, and I have them on Eklipse, Fulltrack and ZT 0392 as well. Used to have a Halftrack, too, but daughter #1 took it :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    patrickguignot likes this.
  14. AndreLinoge

AndreLinoge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Looked up a few pics.. I bet it's not really the clip that's affecting you. It's the big, stupid, hard cornered lockbar relief cut grabbing your pocket seam and making it bunch up under the clip.
    Slides right onto your pocket, but then tries to give you a wedgie when you take it out, right?
    Reason 936 to put those inside the frame instead of outside, or take the time to finish the transition from that cut to the lockbar with a bit of a radius.
    Another minute in the mill and that lockside slab would be finished properly, but that's one more minute between your wallet and theirs, they dont want that at all, especially on a model that may only be a trend compared to their core designs.

15. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    Oh interesting.... this is great, thanks!

16. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    Yeah, for sure it's the cut out as another member suggested above.

AndreLinoge likes this.
  17. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    Since I'll already showing my noob arse (w.r.t. Hinderers) in public LOLZ.... And I've got some Hinderer experts on the line, I've got another question totally unrelated to the original posting:

This is my first knife to run pivot bearings, and I'm just wondering if they require any special treatment vs something like washers? Can I use the knife to cut up fruit (with the juice something dripping into the pivot...)? Are they sensitive to moisture?

Thanks
    --<ike

18. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Hi Mike: Just use it and clean it like you are used to from your washer knives. Every couple of months you can take it apart and clean it thoroughly. The bearings can rust, but they are easy and cheap to replace. Or you can switch back to PB washers if it bothers you.

Lee D likes this.
  19. zdp189

Feb 14, 2007
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I guess I'll just "experiment" and as you said, treat them the same as my other knives. If they wear out I'll switch back to the PB washers, and if those perform as well just stick with those. Otherwise, I'll order replacement bearings.