Hinderer Releases Video On 3-Way Pivot System

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Tommy-Chi, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    It's so gimmicky, but I love that he's actually doing it, and he seems like a genuinely likable guy from what I've seen.

A Hinderer might very well be my first knife to top 300 bucks when this new system is out.

2. brandoak

brandoak

Aug 1, 2015
    It proves he'll do what it takes to stay in a competitive market that's all.
    If the market called for "scratch and sniff" scales, he'd be on top of that with a new scratch tool that stowed into the backspacer. ($100)
    Im not a fan of bearings in a hard use folder and Hinderer knives are hard use knives. I think he's abandoning all he and his knives are known for by going this rout.
    Plastic bearing races will snap, rusty bearings will eventually seize.. So when searching for a xm-18 Ill have to look for the new coined phrase "5th gen pre-bearing"
    [​IMG]

3. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Basic Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I think you and Rick disagree on what his knives are known for.

marrenmiller likes this.
  4. brandoak

brandoak

Aug 1, 2015
    Well its definitely changing that is for sure.;)

5. marrenmiller

marrenmiller

Apr 6, 2017
    I mean, his motto is literally "make it your own", as he constantly reminds us in his videos.

He makes tough knives but it seems like they're more famous for being expensive, customizable, premium knives than anything else.

6. SpySmasher

Sep 1, 2016
    It seems to be what he WANTS to be known for, certainly.

marrenmiller likes this.
  7. BadComrade

BadComrade

Dec 29, 2017
    A lot of people over many years have complained about the Teflon washers used in his knives.

Now you can truly "make it your own". He's listening to his customers. Bravo Rick keep it up.

8. brandoak

brandoak

Aug 1, 2015
    I wonder if his bearing spacer will fit into the bearing pockets of my other bearing knives Id like to "nueter"?

9. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal

Mar 8, 2018
    I don’t get the stigma on the Teflon washers they work wonderfully. Guess I’ll have to get some pbs and try em out

Tommy-Chi likes this.
  10. Misanthropia

Misanthropia

Jul 10, 2011
    The chances of it working on another knife and not throwing the pivot tolerances off are probably very low. And that is not something you want to mess up.

I'm actually quite happy Rick recognizes what consumers want and makes those changes. He could have totally gone a different rout and been a complete hardo about how teflon washers are the best solution for his knives, blah blah fictional "hard use" scenarios, etc, but instead he realizes his luxury good-priced knives are much more likely to be used in a different role than he originally intended or thought they would be used.

Tommy-Chi and brandoak like this.
  11. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Will the knives come with teflon and then you buy the bearings or PB as after market parts or does it come with all options?

brandoak likes this.
  12. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

May 25, 2017
    Allegedly all the options will be given to you with your new knife.

13. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Will those fit the XM 18 3.5
    I really have become a fan of the teflon washers. But I might be interested .

marrenmiller likes this.
  14. marrenmiller

marrenmiller

Apr 6, 2017
    Yes, they will. I've done it.

15. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Thanks a bunch!

16. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011

Supply used to not come anywhere near demand....fast forward to present day and more knives in the hands of more customers means change. Simple as that.

17. SpySmasher

Sep 1, 2016
    @whitty has some skinners in stock.

I'm wondering which blade styles will eventually be released.

18. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Mine should be here Saturday. I can’t wait to try this out. I’ll be watching for the FedEx man until he gets here tomorrow.

19. Bad Rattle

Bad Rattle Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2017
    The knife looked really smooth in Whitty's live stream on IG. I'm not really a fan of the skinner tho... Waiting on a wharnie or slicer variant.

Tommy-Chi likes this.