Hollow Grind Forging

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by David Stifle, Nov 2, 2017.

1. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    Hey folks! I've never tried to forge a hollow grind, don't think it's a common practice. I plan on making a large blade, and have doubts I can grind a good hollow grind that big/long. Can a hollow grind be forged in, perhaps using jigs? Any ideas, tips?

2. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    A special LARGE Fuller in a hydraulic press??...it would have to be a heavy large diameter Die and Huge Press!!!

3. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Try using a rounding hammer over the bick of your anvil, assuming you have an anvil with a horn.

4. Salem Straub

Salem Straub

Oct 20, 2008
    You're still going to have to finish it by grinding... If anything I'd think you might make it harder on yourself by trying to forge it hollow first. You might try making a tool rest with a 3/4" round surface or so, like a small horizontal post, positioned at the center of your wheel face... with a little practice that could help to steady up and control your hollows on a long piece.

Geoff Flato likes this.
  5. Knight Owl Forge

Knight Owl Forge Bladesmith

Mar 14, 2017
    I agree with Salem... One errant, deep hammer blow and next thing you know your grinding it paper thin and pulling up your edge constantly. One thing that helps with hollow grind as well, is establishing the groove where you want it in one area of the blade and then using that as a guide for the rest of the grinding... If you only pass the entire blade over the wheel in the beginning it's going to be hard to find and maintain a groove. Sometimes I'll start a hollow with the side of the belt/wheel to get it established (usually at the plunge line area) and then pull it out from there.

6. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i agree with the others, easier to forge it flat, and grind it hollow.

7. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    Thanks, guys