1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How durable are the pliers on the Skeletool CX?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by knowsnoknife, Oct 13, 2010.

1. knowsnoknife

knowsnoknife

Aug 29, 2010
    I have been reading a lot of negative reviews on Amazon regarding the Skeletool pliers breaking.

Though there are a lot more positive reviews, a certain number of people have experienced their pliers breaking, so I would like to know how often this happens?

This is the only aspect stopping me from getting a skeletool

2. HAKnPocket

HAKnPocket

Mar 2, 2008
    They are great tools. Just not for extreme use. You just have to know the limits of the tool. I had one break but I was pinching with the tip and tried to twist what I was pinching. SNAP!!! But oh well that's why LM has a warranty dept. I won't do it again unless I have to. It's a very simple tool in a package for EDC and it fits the bill for me.

mnblade likes this.
  3. Revvie

Revvie

Dec 30, 1999
    I guess you can break the jaws of about any piler - I've been using the skeletool for about six months now and love it - compact and easy to use but if I going to be doing "heavier" work - I use a Blast or just get a visegrip from the toolbox - I think the key word is "appropriate" use! -Otherwise a great tool!
    Peace
    Revvie

4. MarineAir

MarineAir

Aug 6, 2010
    I've done some pretty nasty stuff with my pliers and the only time I can tell they're being stressed is when twisting something. If thats all thats stopping you, go buy a CX today!

5. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Well, my Skelletool is a so to say "Low-Duty-Tool", so it´s used for nothing that is hard work. I got some tools of LM, but the main problem is rust. Breaking the pliers should not be if you use it in usual situations. For hard use I would use a Swisstool or something like that.

6. untamed

untamed

Jan 7, 2003
    I've come across two accounts HERE actually of that happening which is why I have my reservations on it as well. It's probably not for heavy use, I have a SOG for that.

7. glee

glee

Feb 14, 2004
    As mentioned, due to size, weight and convenience, for EDC it's great. Not so heavy that you won't carry it. The pliers are handy for those occasional needs for light duty applications, a usable screwdriver and I've found the knife design surprisingly effective and useful.
    A Supertool stays in the bag for heavier chores. Real pliers and screwdrivers are in the truck.

8. Escremo

Escremo

Sep 5, 2019
    Despite the identical look, pliers on juice are much stronger. I have juice s2 and cs4 and never was able to brake them with adequate use. I broke the Skeletool pliers on second day, being too cocky after juices. And it’s normal. The general thought is that pliers on Skeletool are massively over hardened. Who knows for what reason.

9. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Welcome, its fine to start new threads if you have something to share, but bringing up old ones makes it harder for people to keep track of the conversation. I'm sure things have been sorted in the last 9 years or so.
    Having broken one set of skeletool jaws, but not my second set, I figure that the warranty dept can sort it out. As for speaking to general consensus, it also helps to cite sources.

10. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I've broken them on my Skeletool. They are 'light use' only. The ones on my LM Charge are a very different beast.