1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Fast Do You Have to Quench? Hardenability of Steel

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Larrin, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
  2. Fred.Rowe

Fred.Rowe Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

May 2, 2004
    Thanks Larrin, good share.
    Regards, Fred

Larrin likes this.
  3. PEU

PEU Gaucho Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 6, 2006
    Thanks Larrin, just finished reading it, came here to ask you something about O1/O2: given the timeframe needed to reach M is 100sec, one would assume that a thin sheet of it, say 2mm - 3/32" would harden exactly the same in oil or between aluminium blocks, is this true or I'm missing something? Thanks!

I'm itching to turn on the oven just to test this, unless you correct me wrong.

Pablo

4. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    That appears to be the case based on the CCT. And there have been reports that a plate quench worked with thin stock: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/plate-quench-o-1-how-thick-can-i-go.607224/

5. cotdt

cotdt

Oct 2, 2006
    I know plates cool down the steel within 10 seconds, so i'd be surprised if even thicker stock o1 doesnt fully harden with plate quenching. We have 100 seconds to cool it which is not hard. I will test it one day when I fix my oven.

6. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    10 seconds seems a little fast to me for plates. Maybe 10 seconds to get under the nose.

7. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Thank you for the in depth description of the alloying elements, and the effect on hardenability. I’ve been looking through many resources for this, and this is a great write up for what we need to know for knives. Being able to calculate for a steel that one can't find the datasheet for is helpful.

Larrin likes this.
  8. PEU

Aug 6, 2006
    Larrin likes this.
  9. bmilleker

bmilleker Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I can't wait to see your results! I use O1 all the time.

For the tests, will you be using a stainless envelope? My worry would be that if you coat the blade in antiscale, it won't lay flat on the aluminum blocks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. PEU

Aug 6, 2006
    I never use foil nor coatings for carbon steels. Since I grind post hardening these thin steels, there is no point.

Pablo

Willie71 likes this.
  11. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    Best article yet! Two thumbs up!

Larrin likes this.
  12. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Interesting that you have categorized 52100 and even CruForgeV as primarily fast-oil steels. I always understood that Parks 50 was a little faster than ideal for quenching those two.
    That's good reading, thanks! Now I'm off to try to understand some of it a bit better...

Willie71 and Larrin like this.
  13. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    The dividing line is up for debate, of course. O7 is usually called a water/oil steel so that’s where I put it.

Edit: The O7 in the article is a little more hardenable than the American version. I have decided to put the dividing line between 52100 and CruForgeV.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  14. comet_sharp

comet_sharp

Aug 22, 2016
    I always had low test scores with 52100 using medium oil unless i aust at 1550°.
    I like 1525 range using parks50, never had any more distortion than quenching say 1095. Sometimes I'll push as high as 1540 using parks but if I aust any higher I'll switch the to AAA oil
    -Trey

Larrin likes this.
  15. PEU

Aug 6, 2006
    Willie71 likes this.
  16. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    rodriguez7 likes this.