How Often Do You Really Use Your EDC?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sulaco, Jun 22, 2011.

1. 6shooter

6shooter

Sep 12, 2009
    Cutting twine and tags off new trees at work, sawing(I carry an SAK) through small roots to pull out old trees(landscaping), opening packages, cutting food, random other stuff. Like others, some days lots, some days never.

2. facablade

facablade

May 23, 2009
    Hi, I use my EDC everyday to cut open packing, peeling my apple or orange for lunch, cleanning my nails,after iI clean it ;-)

3. Tremec

Tremec

Mar 28, 2011
    all day every day, breaking down boxes.

4. lupus55

lupus55

Nov 21, 2009
    I would guess about 5 or 6 times a day. But it is a SAK, so the blade doesn't get used everytime I pull it out. e.g. Open a carton (Blade), Pop out a dead HDD (Phillips Head), Read the damned small serial number (Magnifying Glass). Today it finished it's days work, by opening a box containing a new knife, I agree with the previous post about that being the best job you can do with it.

5. Gadgetaholic

Gadgetaholic

Nov 5, 2009
    My #1 EDC tool is my Victorinox Cybertool 34 - I used it today to loosen a couple of screws to open a computer case so I could add some extra RAM. Sometimes I use it to cut open boxes containing computer components or peripherals and I also use it when building PCs - the nut driver is just right for screwing the hex nuts into the case for mounting the motherboard.

Some days I don't use my EDC at all, but it still comforts me just being there. I like knowing that if I need to cut open something that I have the tool on hand to do it. When I need to open some clamshell packaging my finger doesn't work well enough so it is just as well that I am a tool equipped person. I like that I always have a sharp blade on hand for the times that I need it, regardless of the days that I don't need it.

6. MTHall720

MTHall720 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2010
    i need mine for a variety of things everyday. Usually mundane ordinary tasks. Always good to know if I ever need to do more than just my usual stuff, like cutting down a small bush, I can do it.

7. pvicenzi

pvicenzi

Dec 25, 2008
    More "carry" than "use." that's why it's not an EDU.

8. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I am fully with Powernoodle on this. The usefulness of a tool is not about how much you use it...but how GOOD it works when you NEED to use it. I like to walk my dogs through some trails or just the neighborhood, and there are a lot of dogs not under the control of their respective owners. My blade at the very least gives me a little piece of mind in regards to that. now that being said i'll quickly move on to the daily stuff. I'll mainly use it around the office to open mail, the other day i used it to cut up my lunch, boxes get cut, i'll use it in the print room here to cut rolls of paper when setting the plotter (always ask the ladies in the room if they are ok before i pull out one of my bigger knives). Quite a few guys around here (engineering firm) carry but not a whole lot of enthusiasts so not a lot of show and tell unfortunately.

9. Sulaco

Sulaco

Nov 15, 2003
    What?!? My gosh man! You're a Texan for the love of Jim Bowie! ;)

10. 4Truck

4Truck

Nov 11, 2010
    Constantly. Even if I am just trying to find work for it. Unboxed some new gear, cut up some plastic packaging, plastic sheeting to cover broken out windows, and cut the pants off a dude in a motorcycle wreck we ran this morning. Day isn't even half over yet!

11. Blade Junky

Blade Junky

Sep 27, 2005
    Constantly, especially at work. I work at a publication distribution center at a horsetrack. I'm constantly cutting open cases of paper, plastic bags and cutting lengths of polypropylene rope to bundle returned Racing Forms. When I worked security I used them to do everything from cutting a dead javelina out from under a Mercedes to cutting a live rattlesnake out of a tennis net. Only problem I've got is finding a blade steel that'll cut polypropylene cord without constantly needing stropping. I've used everything from S30V to AUS 10. The best results have been with CPM-154.

12. BigLebowski65

BigLebowski65

Apr 28, 2010
    I seem to have more use for my Victorinox multi tool, not so much for the Umnumzaan...

13. GenerallyAwsomeDude

GenerallyAwsomeDude

Dec 12, 2010
    I don't quite remember how to open things without it...

14. hughewil

hughewil

Apr 12, 2011
    Most days, but not always the blade, I carry a SAK.
    Just yesterday I used the awl to restring one of the girls gloves.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  15. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    I don't think I can say. I have carried a knife for so long.(30+ years) some times I find it in my hand when I need it with out even thinking.

16. a.l.hare

a.l.hare

Sep 16, 2008
    I find a need for it daily ... Unfortunately, I usually need it when I've taken it out of my pocket and put it on my desk or bedside table...:rolleyes:

17. ICEAGE

ICEAGE

Apr 1, 2007
    Depends on the blade.

My Kershaw Skyline is carried when I'm working out/running, doing sports, in the outdoors, working, am in my backyard doing any kind of yard activity, etc. It gets used the most out of all of my knives and is most definitely my go to blade.

My Kershaw Leek is usually carried when I'm going somewhere to eat, shopping, or am dressed slightly nicer. I can count on one hand the times I've used it. I make a point not to use it if possible so the blade is always very sharp in-case I actually 'need' it. It's my 'nice' knife as it looks fairly elegant, so when I carry it I prefer to keep it 'nice'.

I have a mini SAK (You know, the keychain one) that I keep at my desk and its extremely useful for opening mail, boxes, etc. The little blade (which is probably only about 1.5 long) is razor sharp. The mini skissors are surprisingly useful (and are sharp) as well. Also I've occasionally used the mini tweezers for random tasks.

I have a multi tool also at my desk which seems some usage. If I'm going fishing, hunting, etc. the multi tool is likely to come with me. If I need a screwdriver around the house the multi tool is my first choice as I won't have to pull out my toolbox and start digging through it, etc.

Some days will go by and I'll use one of my knives, sometimes a week will go by before I need one. In my mind the point of an EDC knife is to always have one in-case you need it. Really I think every male should have one... I can't tell you how many times I've had people ask to borrow my knife. At my last job I used to carry two, one for myself, and one to let people borrow. Of course I always made sure they knew they'd better keep tabs on it and get it back to me after they finished... Seems like most people who don't carry a knife are so much more likely to lose or damage one from misuse (IE prying, using as a screwdriver with the sharp edge down, cutting down and baring the blade into metal/concrete, etc. It really is sad when you have to supervise a full grown man with your blade. :p

18. matt1987

matt1987

Nov 2, 2009
    my work knife gets used many times during the day. my off work knife gets used atleast once a day.

19. Davor

Davor

Mar 10, 2010
    Approximately 3 times a day to open my mail or cut open a box a few times a week. Mnandi.

20. Beile

Beile

Jul 17, 2006
    Every day.