How to keep the blade clean while putting handle on

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Outdoor Gear Dad, May 6, 2020.

1. Outdoor Gear Dad

Outdoor Gear Dad

Jun 1, 2019
    So I don’t know what I am doing wrong here....I finish my grinds, a surface grind, sand, put my mark on it....looks great. I tape it up with blue painters tape. Put the handle on, hand sand, blah blah blah. When I take that tape off, it’s like my blade is all ugly, there’s discoloration, marks from the tape, it just doesn’t look the same. I clean it off with everything I have, but it still doesn’t look clean anymore. Best practices please?

Mr.Wizard likes this.
  2. noseoil

noseoil

Apr 24, 2013
    I finish sand to 320, glue the scales in place, clean the blade-end with acetone, then finish sand for a final finish. Good enough for me & there's always more sanding you can do on a finished blade. I'm not taking my stuff up to 8,000, too much work, usually 600 is good enough...

TheEdge01 likes this.
  3. Outdoor Gear Dad

Outdoor Gear Dad

Jun 1, 2019
    I was just told that the adhesive on blue painters tape will react with high carbon steels and leave marks...I think that’s what’s happening to me.

4. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Sometimes I rub Vaseline around the base of the blade when attaching the scales to keep glue overspill off of the blade. You could try rubbing a thin coat over your blade before taping it up.

12345678910 likes this.
  5. Outdoor Gear Dad

Outdoor Gear Dad

Jun 1, 2019
    Yeah it’s defiantly not from the epoxy. The marks are coming from the tape.

6. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    I sprayed the last one with wd40, wrapped in kitchen towel paper and then with the cheapo yellow tape.

7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    I don t think that tape can react with steel , more i think that glue on tape clean your steel .When I pop up cured epoxy from ricaso ALWAYS that place look brighter , more clean then rest of steel .Wrap blade in paper and over that use tape and see how that would work...Carbon steel catch patina fast ....

8. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Take plumbers tape and wrap the blade.
    Then over wrap with black electric tape and stretch it as you wrap.

You're welcome

Mr.Wizard and HSC /// like this.
  9. Outdoor Gear Dad

Outdoor Gear Dad

Jun 1, 2019
    Sound like a great idea! Thanks. So do this instead of painters tape?

10. imill3567

imill3567

Aug 5, 2014
    In addition some sort of protectant oil wipe down before the tape is applied always helps for me.

Brock Cutlery likes this.
  11. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Yep, no blue tape on carbon steel. The teflon tape will protect the blade and the electrician tape will hold it on tight

Ken H> likes this.
  12. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    I was told that something in the adhesive of blue painter's tape can etch carbon steel. I switched to wrapping with newspaper and then taping, but the previous suggestions all sound good too!

13. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I wrap the blade in paper towel and then wrap with blue tape. I like Adam's method. I'll have to give it a try.

14. AVigil

Feb 17, 2009
    I came up with it out of desperation.

I did all the typical things, blue tape, wd40, paper towel etc.

Blue tape would stain the blade, oil attracts dust and shop grit, and paper towels sometimes scratched the blade as well.

The teflon tape is clean, smooth as silk, lays flat and protects the blade. Black tape really locks it into place.
    The best part is when you take it off , it comes off easily with not residue and not scratches.

15. allenkey

allenkey Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2018
    I've been coating my blade in thick coats of gunstock wax and then taping - that works but is a mess to clean up. I'll have to try the Teflon tape too!

16. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    I like using phone book paper wrapped around the blade, then electrical tape.

17. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Another vote for fresh new belts. Use belts as if they were free. I use 50-60 of the grit bevel grinding & then they go into the profiling etc pile...Also when you’re happy with your grinds. Spray it down “with clean hands” and wipe it dry with paper towels. before you wrap it up in blue tape. It’s acids etc from your skin that are discoloring the blade.

18. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    I have seen the reaction you are talking about. I use boos block board cream which is a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil. A very light coat should keep blue tape from reacting but still allow it to stick.
    I put it on, then take most of it off with a cleanex.
    When I mount the handle I peel the tape away from the handle / blade joint and clean up epoxy with Q-tip and alcohol.
    Western or Wa handle work roughly the same.

19. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    I used blue tape once on bare steel ... got the same thing you did. As I recall, goo gone got most of the marking off (but not all). Never again. These days I wrap the blade in paper and make kind of a taped up “sheath” that the blade can be slid out of if needed. Very quick, and seems to protect the blade well enough

20. mattd

mattd Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Turtle wax and 3M blue tape have always worked for me. I have found that not all blue tape is the same.