How would you use your premium knives? Work? Open boxes? Or just use for display?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kizer Cutlery, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kizer Cutlery

Kizer Cutlery Follow our Instagram: kizercutlery_inc Moderator

Jun 24, 2013
    As a new discussion thread, we just wonder what would people do with their premium, high price knives. Would you use them as a work-horse? Or just for play in hands and display? Please let us know in the comment~
    kizer_inc_101458671_189653005590096_8900885044022057466_n.jpg *Pic from Instagram @grayscale_carry

2. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I have some that are just save & displayers, but some are EDC's and used(cutting tasks), but not abused. I am not going to use a $800 knife(or even a $200 one ) as a screwdriver unless I am in dire straights. I have no problem using them for cutting . That is what I bought them to do and unless they are going on the auction block scratches don't matter.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Kizer Cutlery likes this.
  3. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    :thumbsup:

4. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    If I buy it... I use it. No exceptions.

If I use it, I use it for "whatever". All of my folders are "everyday knives".

If I know goin' in that I won't use it, I won't buy it.

5. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    :thumbsup:Knives are tools!

6. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm a user. I have a few knives I bought to display, and only one safe queen, and it had started out as a user until the value went over double what I paid for it.

7. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Even when I know going in that the knife will likely see little use, I expect it to be ready and capable of delivering a full measure of work. This is especially so if I paid for a premium knife.

We live in modern times, and for most of us who live in major cities, we are not going to have ready access to the outdoors. It would be great if we did and we would all likely be healthier for it; but, there will never be enough trees to support that much bushcrafting.

n2s

guy g and Kizer Cutlery like this.
  8. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I enjoy using my knives and seeing how they perform. I don't personally have much interest in collecting knives to sit in a drawer or safe. Some people have fun with that though, and that's fine by me. There are a lot of different angles to approach the hobby.

Another thing to consider is that what one person considers a premium, high price knife may be inexpensive for someone else. They can have very different views about using that same knife.

guy g and Kizer Cutlery like this.
  9. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    Yeah, that's what I would wonder. How different can it be. thank you :thumbsup:

10. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    Good point!

11. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I only buy fixed blades, and I use them all, I don't buy knives just for display.

12. 954Ink

954Ink Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Dannyp made a good point- financial perspective. My edc knives range $100 to $500. Anything I own that was a $1,000 and up is either to big or to ornate.

13. TrainedBullets

TrainedBullets

Apr 23, 2017
    I use all of my knives. My most expensive are around $400, most are in the $100 to $300 range.

Kizer Cutlery and TX180SX like this.
  14. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I rarely go over $110 or so on a knife purchase. $50-100 is my sweet spot.

I use all my knives. At my price, no safe queens and I don't feel bad about using them. Like you said, knives are tools.

15. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I have "a few" knives & they were bought to use, but there are a certain few that always seem to end up back in my pocket.

16. 954Ink

954Ink Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 22, 2020
    I agree that they're tools. Used to be I only quit carrying a particular knife because it went out of production or I broke it. Depending on the climate or region I work in now determines what I carry. I travel for work and the knife laws are terribly inconsistent in this country. Absolutely no uniformity.
    Unfortunately I got bit by the collecting virus at a young age. My childhood sword and bayonet hobby grew into a much more expensive habit. Almost wish I was a drug addict as I imagine itd be a cheaper use of my time lol.

17. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I use all my knives. if I don't see myself using a knife because it's really nice looking, I just simply don't buy it. My price range on my knives runs up to $400 currently.