1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I can use some help

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by JOE68, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Howdy, and welcome.

The CAK is awfully heavy for a first kukuri. My suggestions would be:

o 15-17" BDC
    o 16.5-18" WWII
    o 16-17.5" (B)GRS
    o 16-17" AK

I also prefer wooden handles for grip and strength. Good luck, and have fun. :)

John

2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Another vote for wood. I like horn OK. I really don't mind it on chiruwa style handles, but if given the choice I will pick wood 10 times out of 10.

I find that in addition to holding up to climate changes a little better (for me anyway), it is also far less slippery when left with a "nice" finish. Horn can have quite a bit of purchase, but you have to hit it with some sandpaper to get it to grip a bit better. There goes your shiny "exotic" look:p

Also, the wood out of the region just seems to teem with an unnatural glow. You sometimes get handles with swirls and burls and all kinds of character that will not only be a tough functional handle but will really just POP with a few coats of oil.

3. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    I've inadvertently found myself doing this, too, such as when sharpening the blade, or in the kitchen. I was trying to wean myself of the habit, but I never considered it as (with proper safety equipment) part of deliberate, regular practice.

4. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    Given your list, I'd start with the 16.5" chiruwa ang khola. The proportions and weight are all just right. The shorter length makes it a bit handier for general camp chores, and it will still handle big chopping tasks. Wood handle is probably a better choice for use with gloves, but horn is fine too. Test the handle out a few times, then consider modifying the grip if it's too slippery. Grip tape and tape used for tennis racquets or bike handle bars work well.

That said, my go-to model is a horn handled, 18" WWII. And the Baby Ganga Ram is a favorite as well. Canonical length for the "baby" is 16-17", with some variation like all HI products.

5. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    I have a 17.5 inch 34 ounce Chiruwa Ang Khola and its PERFECT.

It's not too heavy, yet has a couple inches more length that seem to really make it chop like crazy. I kid you not - I can bury it in a log almost as deep as my light Gransfor axe. It will shave the hair off my arm with ease too . . . .