I chipped the tip of my BAS . . . on a rock

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Strobengh, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Strobengh

Strobengh

Dec 15, 2006
    I chipped the tip of my BAS while chopping down a tree yesterday.
    Little did I know that there were rocks and bricks where I was chopping.
    The poor rock . . .
    ;)

It's not a big chip. I'll see if I can find my camera (we just moved) and post up pics, but they aren't larger than 1/4 inch.
    Most of the material is still there, just pushed way off to the side.
    What is the best way of fixing it, or do I just break it off, sharpen it, and keep going with the chip.

2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    All of the above...sort of:p
    I would try to align the edge as much as possible with the chakma or a butcher's steel. You might even be able to tap it over with a hammer. If there is enough material there, you might be able to resharpen it. However, more often that not, if it's a pretty nasty bump, that part of the blade will just sort of work its way off. It won't affect the cutting ability at all, so just use it as is and the nicks will sharpen out over time:thumbup:

Good on ya for using your knife!:D

3. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    From June, 2002:

Refurbished BAS that someone kept on demanding replacements for (3x, I think). Bill M. had finally had enough and cut the guy off and sent it to me.

Horn was Bag-Balmed...over and over and over. Filled with superglue in the scuffs and a crack, and then buffed with paste wax and a power buffer, steel (blade) done wet and dry, then paste waxed.

Edge? Stone, and steel and ceramic, little 600 grit to smooth the area dinged, then more stone, steel and ceramic.

Sheath didn't see much use apparently, just some neatsfoot oil to moisten it up.

It moves well in the hand. In another post, I mentioned that the AK is more blade heavy...the BAS has a better balance.

It was all, or virtually all, hand work. God love the kamis.

A perfect watching-tv-project, as long as you remember where you body parts are in relation to the blade.

It will give the khuk more a part of your spirit, I think.

4. Dave Rishar

Dave Rishar

Oct 25, 2004
    If you look at most of my "user" khuks, you'll see a millimeter or two of each tip missing. That's where I lost it hitting rocks (or bricks, or cars) and never bothered to repair it.

I classify minor chipped tips with tarnishing: it's not even worth my time to correct, as I'm only going generate more later. Same with ripples, dings, and minor edge damage that won't degrade into anything further -- I hammer down or grind off the worst of it and count on later sharpenings to eventually remove them. If it doesn't affect function or safety, it often gets ignored.

Now that I think about it, it really sucks to be one of my khukuris. :eek:

5. raghorn

raghorn

Feb 23, 2002
    or CARS? :eek:

:D

6. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    Have you butchered a Ford lately?

7. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam

Apr 24, 2006
    or laptops and boomboxes also :D :thumbup:

8. Dave Rishar

Dave Rishar

Oct 25, 2004
    Admittedly I haven't taken a khukuri to a car in over a year now. Back when I was a little crazier, though...

9. Bri in Chi

Bri in Chi

May 28, 2003
    I've seen this man open a beer bottle with a khukri. Cut the top of the neck right off, he did.:eek: