I got my KITH knife

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by DustinY, Apr 18, 2020.

1. TILLER

TILLER KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2011
    Let me know how it works for you, and particularly any areas that can be improved.

Travis Talboys and DustinY like this.
  2. Storm W

Storm W KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 19, 2019
    Nice job everyone on your KITH knives. Those are the nicest I have seen in overall quality.

Willie71 and DustinY like this.
  3. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    All right! I used @timos- 's knife today to make a garden primavera-esque pasta sauce today.

[​IMG]

Let me start off by saying, this little knife cuts like crazy! People like to say "cuts like a laser" but lasers kinda suck at cutting, they burn... Any way this thing cuts like a thin, really sharp knife, it's great! Performance wise, no issues.

Ok now for the details. At the junction of blade and bolster one side had some glue leak out, and the other didn't have enough glue in the joint. Purely asthenic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other thing I noticed is that the blade is mounted slightly left of center and very slightly askew.

[​IMG]

In this pic, the blade looks bent but it's not, it's just an illusion.

The only other issue I noticed was a dark line around the pin in the handle. I suspect it's from using black epoxy, with such a light wood, I don't know how you'd hide it.

Over all a very nice knife, and my current favorite for cutting veg in the kitchen!
    Thanks again Tim!!

Storm W, kmf600 and Willie71 like this.
  4. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    For black bolsters like this, I use 5min JB Kwik. Use a bit of excess, then once it sets up to the consistency of silicon, use a q-tip dipped in lacquer thinner, and gently clean the excess. This gives you a seamless fit.

timos-, Storm W and Mr.Wizard like this.
  5. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    Yes on Q-tips. I use them repeatedly with acetone at the blade/handle junction for the first two hours of epoxy setting.

Willie71 likes this.
  6. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    Good news, post to USA is a go from Monday. I am sorry for the delay, but not much I could do.

Travis Talboys and DustinY like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W

May 1, 2019
    This is a strange time we are in your good

DustinY, FredyCro and Hengelo_77 like this.
  8. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    @Daniel W , did my knife reach you yet? Thanks

9. Daniel W

Daniel W

May 1, 2019
    No not yet I’ll let you know when it shows up

10. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    Thanks, the package should be trackable through USPO, if you don't have the tracking number yet, please write me here.

11. kdnolin

kdnolin Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2017
    I haven't received mine yet, but it is finally in Canada! COVID has really messed up shipping times. Canada Post tracking says only 3-7 more business days. This knife was shipped April 13, I thought it was lost, but my confidence in government run postal services is now restored :rolleyes:.

12. Flatlander bowie

Flatlander bowie

Jun 23, 2020
    What is KITH?

13. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
  14. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    That’s gorgeous!!!! I’m looking forward to the summer kith.

15. kdnolin

kdnolin Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2017
    My KITH knife arrived!!!
    It is a real beast too! 10” blade, but well balanced. Fit and finish is great on both the blade and wood, handle is large, but suits the knife and fits my hand. Slices right through ripe tomatoes. Not sure of the blade steel, AEBL? @A.McPherson Saya and handle are zebrano, but not sure on the black bolster and pin. It has a lot more belly than I put on kitchen knives, but that’s a personal preference thing.

Thanks Allen!

Attached Files:

Storm W and Willie71 like this.
  16. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    The blade is 15N20, HT by JT for last year's kitchen knife KITH. I had to bow out of that one, so you got the resulting knife.

The bolster and pin are horn.

I'm glad you like it, feel free to critique the crap out of it!! I know there's a few things that aren't perfect about it, but I don't think it's too awful for my first kitchen knife attempt!

kmf600, Willie71 and kdnolin like this.